It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

JLMandPaul HB User
Question Ear piercing

Id like to get my dd's ears pierced. She's 4 mos old so Id like to do it before she is too old and would be pulling at them. I had mine done when I was an infant too (Im 32 now) and Ive had mine pierced ever since! My pediatrician told me that she could do it which is better than going to someplace in the mall where I wouldnt be too comfortable having it done. Any other moms out there get their dd's ears pierced and how did they do?

Old 01-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
Re: Ear piercing

I had my DD done at 5 mos. I took her to the mall. She cried, but no worse than a shot. I brought a bottle to comfort her. She didn't have any problems and never has played with them. She is almost 5 now. I would recommend doing it before they know any better. I would be harder as a toddler.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

My daughter never had hers pierced. She's 3 1/2 now. I just decided to wait until she was old enough to care for them herself and decide if she wanted them pierced or not. I was 13 when I had mine pierced and it hurt like he**. I also didn't want to subject her to unneccessary pain. My little niece was just a few weeks old when she got hers pierced and it nearly killed me to watch. I also had to help her mom a couple of weeks later to take them out when they got infected.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:17 AM   #4
(female)

tmarsh HB User

I would say get them done now. My sister got my niece's ears pierced when she was about 4 or 5 months. She's 2 now and has no clue.

I would also recommend going to your pediatrician to get them done.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
(female)

shonks5 HB User

I got mine done when I was three. When I was older I got several more. It never really hurt me but that is subjective. I want to get my 6 mo olds done, but I don't want her to cry. Besides her earlobes wil still grow, if I get them pierced now, as she grows it will be centered and there won't be as much room for more holes if she want's them. I had 5 in one 7 in the other, only wear one - three now.

Last edited by shonks5; 01-13-2006 at 11:11 AM. Reason: clarity

Old 01-13-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

my docs won't pierce a little girls ears until they are a year old. I got my dd pierced when she was 2 months old, just after her first set of shots, I had them done at the mall also, with no complications etc... just make sure they take the proper precautions to be santitary etc... make sure they swab her ears with the alcohol and make sure they are clean themselves, most will wear gloves. If you don't feel comfortable, go elsewhere, the place at the mall for me was just as comfortable then the doctors was, like I said as long as they are sanitary about it. They both pierce the same way, she will cry, but like someone else said, like getting a shot, give her a pacifier or a bottle to settle her. I did it when dd was sleeping, she awoke to 1 ear pierced, then it was not so bad to hold her for the other ear. good luck, I think little girls look adorable with pierced ears. my mom did my sis's when she was an infant, but did mine when I was 2 yrs old and I ripped an earing out, clear out, I have the scar to prove it lol. have fun.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I recommend having them done as early as possible, DD was about 6 months old, but I wish I had done it a bit earlier. I was told when they are this young they have less nerve endings in thier ear lobes, which means less pain then if they get them pierced at an older age. Plus when you get them done as infants they haven't learned where their ears are yet, so they don't touch them and it gives them plenty of time to heal before they finally do discover their ears. I had mine pierced when I was older and had a very hard time not fidgeting with them and ended up getting infections more because of it. They do cry for a little bit but it's not too bad. And then they forget all about it. I also found that it was easy to clean her piercings because she wasn't mobile yet and by the time she was moblie she was used to the ear cleaning routine and would lay her head still for Mommy to clean them. I've never heard of pediatricians piercing ears, do they have the ear piercing gun and the ear cleaning solution for you to bring home with you? If you get it done in a mall don't go to one of those places that sells teens jewellery and such, I had a friend work there and she told me they offer very little training on how to do piercings before they let their staff start piercing on their own. I got DD's done at Merle Norman, it's a high end makeup place in the mall. And I asked alot of questions. The lady that pierced DD's had 15 years experience behind her, so I felt so much better about it.
I also switched to gold invisible hoop sleepers after her ears where completely healed...the ones that close completely and you can't find the start of it...I found those easiest to clean and most comfortable for her when she slept on her side. But be sure to bend them in a bit more so that when you close it it is very tight, and check the hoops each day. A friend of mine didn't check hers and her 2 year old ended up having a hoop catch on a blanket, it didn't hurt her but it could have. And be sure to buy the piercing antiseptic cleaning solution and clean the piercings religously.
Goodluck. Oh and if you have a hard time with DD crying maybe bring a friend so they can hold DD while you wait outside...I did that for my best friends little girl, but I was fine to hold my DD myself.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

I've been telling myself not to reply to this thread as I really strongly disagree with piercing babies ears. If you want to pierce your child's ears then that is entirely your decision but I'd like to disagree with something a few of you have said: that babies feel less pain than adults do. Actually the most current view is that babies feel more pain than adults. They have the same number of nerve endings as adults but they are compressed into a smaller surface area. The only difference is that the areas covered by each nerve cross over each other in babies so they find it hard to pinpoint where it hurts exactly because the pain is picked up by more than one nerve receptor, so they feel the pain over a larger area.

There! Managed to keep in factual...didn't get over emotional or cross.. time to go now I think....

Spanish

Last edited by Spanish; 01-14-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Nutshell HB User

I have a 1 yr old daughter who doesn't have her ears pierced. I am waiting until she is old enough to make that decision. I couldn't imagine inflicting pain upon her that is unneccesary. My mom waited until I was old enough to make the decision and I didn't want my ears pierced. I actually was married when I had mine done.
DS born 3/14/03
EDD 3/19/05

Old 01-15-2006, 06:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

I had dd's done at a piercing pagoda kiosk in the mall. just ask questions about xperience and what not, if they cant answer whatever you ask, or dont want to, don't go there.

they also have earrings for kids with screwbacks, so they can't get them out. I did this cause as dd got older (2ish or so) she kept wanting to take them out lol. have fun

Closed Thread