It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User
Fever, congestion

Just yesterday my baby started sounding raspy when he cried and gooed. Today he is crying quite a bit when he's awake, but he's sleeping more than usual. I say he has a fever because he is warm, but I haven't taken the temp yet. I've never done it before so I am having a hard time. I tried under the arm but he cries and moves so much I can't wait the full 90 seconds as directed. He's just 2 months old and I am hoping to God that he doesn't have the flu. His nose is a bit runny as well. I haven't noticed it when he's awake, but after he's been sleeping its "crusty" under his nose. I haven't called the doctor because we go tomorrow for his shots first thing in the morning and they don't have after hours anyway.

Any suggestions for how to keep him comfortable would be great?

Old 01-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User
Re: Fever, congestion

I should also mention he's been spitting up a lot. He normally doesn't spit up much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

I would say he's sick for sure. You really need to take his temp. Rectally is the only accurate way to tell at his age. Just like you change him, put vaseline on the thermometer, and put it in about 1/2 inch, not too much. If it's over 100.3, call the doctor even if it's after hours. Hope he feels better soon. Try a humidifier, and if the doctor okay's it, tylenol.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I took his temp. and it was 97.3. I have a humidifier, he's been stuffy since the cold weather hit. The doctor knows about that and said its normal this time of year. He just started with the raspy throat. The worse part is he has a massive diaper rash too. I have him a bath and even that hurt his rash. It developed this morning and I've been putting cream on it since. Still it looks horrible. I feel so bad, it has to be my fault he's sick. Everyone told me breastfed babies never get sick and he is sick. How could it happen?

Old 01-16-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

It's just the time of the year, don't blame yourself. Ds has been sick a few times and he's bf'ding too. It may help to take his diaper off and let the air get to it for a while. I've also heard that bordeaux's butt paste works great for a diaper rash. It's good he doesn't have a temp, on the bright side. Did you try the saline drops? They work really well, actually ds woke up with a cold this morning.......poor babies!

Old 01-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I went to the doctors for is vaccine today, but he had a slight fever so they didn't do it. She said he's fine but if he gets the vaccine and he develops a fever they won't know if its the shot or an illness. She told me to wait a few days to see how he's doing but it just looks like a cold.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

DS has a fever today still and I don't know what to do. I called the doctor they told me to give him tylenol and to watch him. If his symptoms change to bring him in. His fever is 99.6 rectally. I have him in just a onesie and he is so warm. I feel so bad for him. He's still congested as well but he's eating okay, a bit more often than usual. Any tips to keep him comfortable from experienced mothers?

Closed Thread