It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

All Star Mom HB User
Breathing fast while asleep

My son is 4 months today, and I have been concerned about his breathing when he goes to sleep at night. During the day he breaths normal, but at night his breathing is much faster. It seems like he takes a breath every second or so. It stresses me out. He even snores too. I'm just wondering if this is normal. Has anyone else noticed a difference in breathing at nighttime? Should I call his doctor? During the day his breathing is normal. He also still sleeps in his car seat at night (which fits well in the bassinet). Maybe it is the position he is sleeping in. He is so content in the carseat, I guess because it cradles him.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User
Re: Breathing fast while asleep

My son had the same thing when he slept in his carseat and it was b/c his head would fall down/to the side and his airway was not as opened, so he had to breath faster to get enough air. Once I put him in the crib the problem went away. If you keep him in the carseat make sure to move his head to different sides, as carseat is much harder then matress and can give your DS flat head. My DS's head always slouched to the right and he got a flat spot there after 2mo so then I had to put him on the left side in the crib for months to correct it.

So see if it's better if you have him in the bassinet. Carseats are soo conveniet, but I wouldn't have my next child sleep in it again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
(female)

All Star Mom HB User

Thank you for you advise. That does make sense. I think we will go ahead add start making him sleep in his crib. We said that last night, but we were so tired and we really wanted to get some sleep. We figured if we put him in his new enviornment he would wake up more often. But tonight we will put him in his crib, he needs to start gettign used to it anyhow. Thanks again for you advise it really makes sense, and explains why he breathes better during the day. That makes me feel much better.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

my ds slept in the car seat on occasion, as I did not want the flat head thing to happen, the baby is only 4 months old, he should adjust just fine to sleeping in his own area, what you can do to make the transition easier if it is not that easy once you try it, sleep with a receiving blanket or something like that and then let him sleep with it or on it, it will have your scent on it. my ds sleeps in a play pen bassinett thing, and is almost 6 months old, I know when I put him in his room in the crib, I will probably have to have the blanket he sleeps on for comfort in there as well, but will try it without it first. good luck

Old 01-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User

start by putting him in the crib/bassinet during the day for nap time, at least you won't be so tired if he fusses. My DS had no problem w/ the change, but I had to learn to recognize signs of him being tired and put him in the crib at the right time. Good luck, you'll be ok.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Have you counted how many breaths per minute? Think it's 40, but not sure. It gets slower as they reach toddlerhood. Sometimes they just sound like they're breathing fast and they're not. When DS was young we were told to count his respirations, can't remember how fast was too fast, but we knew if he was breathing too fast, it meant he was probably battling a bug and sure enough next day he'd have a fever and an ear infection.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #7
(female)

All Star Mom HB User

Oh, my goodness, I cannot beleive I made that error!!! My son turned 4 weeks yesterday, not 4 months. Phew, by 4 months I assume he won't fit into the carseat to sleep!! Sorry about the confusion!!!!

Last night, he slept in the bassinet (and even though it was tough) he did finally fall alseep and slept for about 4 hours. He is in his crib right now trying to take a nap. Thats not working out too well yet. I think the area is too big and he feels lost. I will keep you all updated on his progress.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #8
(female)

Border3899 HB User

My DS is 5 weeks old and he HATES his crib. He sleeps in a pack n play or his swing. When i put him in his crib it never fails he wakes up after 5 minutes. We're going to try putting him in his crib during the day to get him used to it, but so far i cant get him to stay asleep in his crib.

For the breathing they say anything over 60 breaths per minute is cause to call the doctor, but my DS is always at 60 to 65 breaths per minute and his doctor said that as long as he's not in distress and is hovering right around 60 she's not concerned about it.

Closed Thread