It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User
Anyone Doing PDF?

I was wondering if any of you moms are doing Parent Directed Feeding instead of Demand Feeding? Someone suggested it to my DH yesterday and now he's wanting to do it. Our DS is 6 weeks old and I think it would be too late even if I wanted to.

I have a lot of questions and concerns about this program. Have any of you tried it? What was your experience?

Old 02-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User
Re: Anyone Doing PDF?

I'm not familiar with the method of PDF (is it an actual method with instructions?), but I guess I feed her on a schedule more so than on demand. I remember when Ava was brand new (less than 2 weeks old) I called the Ped office with a Q about my milk & feeding, and the nurse told me to feed (we breastfeed) every 2-3 hours...and she was very clear on this...to make sure at least 1½ hours passed before thinking about feeding her again...and not let more than 3 hours go at the longest. She was 6 lbs, 6 oz at birth.

At the time, I was so overwhelmed with everything going on that I didn't ask the reason why we had to make sure at least 1½ hours passed before feeding again. I still don't know why. But, I did that.

The only time I've ever fed her on demand was when she was going thru growth spurts. Otherwise, I've always stuck to feedings every 2-3 hours.

When she hit 4 months, the Ped also told me to stop feeding her at night (let 8-10 hours pass from the last feeding) because she was past the 10 lb mark and going on solids. I stopped the middle of the night feedings cold turkey and it hardly phased her. She was just waking to eat out of habit.

I guess I'm telling you what we are doing because I can say that we don't feed "on demand" and she's happy & gains weight just fine.
Gayle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I don't understand how you only fed on demand during growth spurts. All babies have growth spurts at different times. Yeah, there is an approximate schedule to follow, but I know DS didn't follow that schedule. He had growth spurts before the norm.

And for the pediatrician suggesting no more night feedings after 10lbs, isn't that kind of rediculous? Some babies are born at 10lbs even higher, DS was 12lbs at a month, there was no way I could stop feeding him at night at that point. Is it the combo of solids, weight, and age?

Old 02-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

PDF is the method from the book Babywise. It's highly controversial. I feed him every two to three hours, but this book says that if you stick to their schedule, your baby will be sleeping through the night at 8 weeks.

Roxy, I was concerend about young babies sleeping long, but I just learned that my when my DH was a baby, he slept through the nights. My MIL never once got up to feed him!! She said she called her doctors and freaked out but he was just fine.
He was 9 pounds at birth.

My DS is only 6 weeks old and he already weighs 11 pounds. My ped. told me that he would be starting to sleep through the night when he he is around two months old.

Gayle: How did you stop cold turkey? Did you listen to crying all night long? How does it work? I just would hate to hear my son screaming for food. That breaks my heart. My DS starts screaming if he's been awake for more than a minute hungry. He's a little heffer though He is currently in the middle of his growth spurt and there have been times where I fed him for 3-4 hours straight. I couldn't set him down because he was hungry.

Last edited by Mommie-2-B; 02-10-2006 at 01:18 PM.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

I sure hope someone does not come along and make me eat on a set schedule. I can be hungry at different times and on different days. How frustrating that would be.

Really, what does it hurt to feed your baby on demand? My son was completly feed on demand. I never made him wait if he was hungry. He is now 2.5 and has great eating habits. He eats when he is hungry and stops when he is full.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I agree with rouge. you can read this in the thread "I'm in trouble", but my SIL is feeding her 3wk old on a schedule. She will not feed her for 3-4hours regardless if the baby cries or not. She gets no food until then. Rediculous? I think so!

Old 02-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

She's probably feeding her on the schedule because of this system Gary Ezzo wrote about in his book Babywise. Supposidly more than a million families in 93 countries follow this system (since 1995), and this book has been translated into 17 languages. It's wildly popular and controverisal at the same time.

I just wanted to hear success and failure stories from people so I have some ammo when my DH comes home from work tonight. I never considered this before, but I can't help but wonder why is it so popular?

Old 02-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

I fed both my kids on demand, and have no problems with them, I agree with another poster about I would not want anyone to tell me when to eat also. My ds is 6 months old and he still eats once in the night. He is gradually growing out of it on his own. at his 6 month visit I told his ped about this, and he had no problems with it, and did not discourage it in anyway. I cannot see letting a baby cry while being hungry. How would you feel if someone kept you from eating, til they felt like feeding you hours later. Not too happy. anyway, I think you should do what you want, your baby will outgrow it if you feed on demand, I think baby is too young to be on a schedule, though many people do it. I still don't have a SET schedule for my ds, as his eating varies from day to day, he puts himself on a schedule. good luck

Old 02-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

MommietoBe...on the quitting cold turkey on the night feedings...she didn't cry all night. The first 2 nights she'd wake up like clockwork at her normal feeding times. Instead of breastfeeding her like I'd always done, I'd just give her a pacifier and a few pats, and she'd go right back to sleep within a couple minutes. It only took 2 nights and all of a sudden slept right through the times I'd normally feed her. She normally sleeps about 9½ hours from the time she goes to bed until she wakes up wanting to eat. So, she eats, then goes back to sleep for another couple hours. She's not starving, and she's not crying all night...she's asleep.

Also, my baby was 4 months old and 12 lbs when we started this...not 6 weeks like your baby. I personally think 6 weeks would be too young to do something like that.

Roxyfoxy...I never had a growth spurt guideline I followed as to know when she was having one. It was pretty obvious when she was going through a spurt because her rooting relex would start up about every hour...that's how I could tell. I never had to wait for her to cry to tell me she was hungry...that rooting reflex is pretty obvious. When she wasn't in a spurt, she never rooted around looking for food between feedings.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Oh my gosh! How would you like someone saying " oh, it hasn't been an hour and a half, your sure acting hungry, but you must not be, and I was told not to feed you, so I'm not!" How terrible! Why in the world would you listen to someone other than yourself and your baby when it comes to something like this? You can't teach a baby that young dicipline?!! I'm sorry, but that is a major control issue there.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Bad idea. There have been many babies diagnosed as failure to thrive by following this whacko's ideas. I haven't read the book and don't want to but I think I saw somewhere that he has even changed his stance recently regarding scheduling feeds. Babies have needs that should be listened to, not disregarded. It sounds like you want to do the right thing. Don't be pressured by anyone. I honestly don't know why Ezzo so popular other than people just don't want to deal with following babies cues. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:41 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

Some moms just want the easy way out. They want to make their babies more conveinient. I think that is why that crazy book is so popular. My SIL told me when I was pregnant "At nighttime you have to put your new baby into the bouncy seat in the living room and just put a pillow over your head in your room" Their baby was only weeks old at this time. I could not believe she told me this.

She raved about that Babywise book.

I don't want to offend anyone here or start a huge debate. I am sure some have read the book and felt like they did the right thing. I just personally dislike the book and it's principals.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:51 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Maybe this is the book my SIL is reading. ITs the dumbest idea I ever heard. Let's think about this, when we are hungry, we eat. Nobody tells us to eat, we just do. When babies are hungry, they cry, they open their mouth and nudge, they can't get themselves food on their own. Its our job to feed them when they are hungry. Babies are growing fast, they need food at different times of the day. At the evenings, DS would get so hungry all of the time. He would eat when I fed him. IT was a pain in the butt for me, but I knew he needed to eat, period. Babies metabolisms are faster at certain times then others. That is why we have to feed them when they want to be fed!

Old 02-11-2006, 07:39 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I personally have never read the book or heard of the book. A couple of you are assuming quite a lot about my abilities as a parent, my baby's feeding habits, and her ability to thrive in the future.

Dizzygirl...what have I said to make you think my baby is begging for food every 1½ hours? What have I said to make you come to the conclusion my baby has EVER begged for food? You certainly have insinuated that...it couldn't be farther from the truth...it's coming across as if you WANT everyone to think my baby is starving to support you view.

quote from, dizzygirl..."You can't teach a baby that young dicipline?!! I'm sorry, but that is a major control issue there."
dizzygirl...you really need to clarify to us what exactly you mean by that. You're telling us you think a baby's need for food and discipline at the infant stage go hand in hand. Now THAT is messed up. Sounds like you're the one with the contol issues.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Gayle000-" I remember when Ava was brand new (less than 2 weeks old) I called the Ped office with a Q about my milk & feeding, and the nurse told me to feed (we breastfeed) every 2-3 hours...and she was very clear on this...to make sure at least 1½ hours passed before thinking about feeding her again...and not let more than 3 hours go at the longest. She was 6 lbs, 6 oz at birth."

First of all, the comment about the control issue was about the book that was mentioned. Please don't think I meant that about you. Second, many babies cannot go 1 1/2 hours in between feedings. Doing so can result in a hungry baby. I really don't believe in feeding a baby by looking at a clock. That is not an opinion, but a fact. I can't help if you took it the wrong way, I'm sorry, but I just happen to disagree with that.

Closed Thread