It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User
Tongue-tied infant

My SIL's DD is tongue tied, it is all the way to the tip. We believe this caused breastfeeding problems so know she is formula feeding. She is only giving DD 4oz of formula every 3-4hrs. If DD doesn't wake up then she lets her sleep through it, even during the day. For communication DD gets laid on the floor and looks at a mobile.
I am worried about a lot of things. What kind of speech/eating problems develop from being tongue tied? When do they clip the extra skin? Should more communication be done at home to help her through this or help her speak because of her problem? Shouldn't she be getting more formula? She's 2 months old in a week or so.
I am so worried because I have a 4mo old and he was very communicative at 2months. Facial expressions and such. I just wonder if they are not communicating with her much or if her tongue tied is the problem.
A little background info, my SIL's water broke at 37wks and the doctors waited more than 24hrs to have a section. DD was jaundice and losing conciderable weight in the hospital. She has since gained weight and looks a lot healthier but SIL wants to give her the minimum she will eat so she doesn't get overweight. My opinion is that DD is so tired because she isnt getting much food. She finishes the bottle and SIL thinks she is satisfied even if she cries. 4oz was what she ate a month ago.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User
Re: Tongue-tied infant

what is tongue tied? The reason I ask is cause I dont know but also I oveheard the lactation consultant tell the person I was sharing a room with when I had my baby that they would have to clip his tongue...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Celestine HB User

I don't know much about being tounge tied. Never heard of it either until you mentioned it. That doesn't really sound like it's enough formula. Is that 3-4 hrs round the clock? DS ate 3-4 oz bottles at 2 months but twice as often as that. He now goes 4 hrs in between at 6 months but his tummy is big enough now to hold 8 oz at once so he can go longer without eating. Plus he gets solids in between! I don't know why she's worried about a baby being overweight. I always thought they needed alot of fat and calories because they need to grow really fast. Is she gaining enough weight at her doctors appointments? I'm sure the doc will tell her I guess if the baby is not gaining enough. We did the opposite, DS got the maximum he'd eat without puking it up. I never worried about his weight unless the doc said he was getting too heavy. He's still on the light end of normal for his age.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

tongue tied is the piece of skin that holds your tongue is overgrown the baby will not be able to stick there tongue out or could end up with speach problems because they are not able to move there tongue the right way to speak if it is not clipped my grandson had this problem his tongue was clipped at 2 month and he has no problems he is 3 now speaks very well and can stick out his tongue have it done while they are young when they don't relize what pain is and won't remember

Old 03-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

My son is going on 2 weeks old and eats 3oz of formual every 3 to 3 1/2 hours. I don't think your sil is giving enough to her. I'd bring it up to her, the poor baby must be hungry!! Also from what I understand it's okay at that stage to let them sleep if they want. My sister does and her daughter is almost 2 months old and is healthy and plump like a pumpkin!! I'm not sure about the tounge tied issue, sorry, but the formual thing should defintely be brought up to her!

Old 03-13-2006, 04:47 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

JuniorsMommy929 HB User

i had a distant cousin who had this problem the little boy is about 8 years old now, he couldnt talk, he had very bad speech problems, so when he was about 5 they had to have surgery on it, he can talk better, but not easy to understand, eattin on the other hand, i dont think he had any troubles with it

Old 03-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

that's why it should be done as an infant to avoid the speach problems

Old 03-13-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
(female)

feb06baby HB User

My MIL says DH was tongue-tied as a baby, but it did'nt get clipped until he was 2 years old. She says he had no problems from it and to this day has normal speech. We were worried about DD being tongue-tied when she was born, but luckily she wasn't.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:05 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

spider37 HB User

i think it all depends on how severe it is my grandson's tongue was tied so bad that it would bleed when he cried

Old 03-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

My DS had a very minor tongue tie when he was born, the health nurse offered to clip it when he was a couple days old, but I decided to talk to the pediatrician first. His was so minor the pediatrician said it would probably grow out fine. And so far I think it has because he can get his tongue out pretty far. But I do have a friend whose little guy had it and his didn't grow out so he had his fixed at 4 years old...I agree if it is severe enough to have it done sooner so speach can be learned properly...otherwise they get used to speaking with the tongue tie and can form habits...and speach problems.
Did your SIL actually say she wants to feed the minimum so the baby doesn't get overweight? I think babies should be fed on demand and fed until they want no more. They need all those calories for growing properly...it's alot of work to grow as fast as they do at this stage of thier lives. My DS was big for his age group from the start but now that he is active (jolly jumper, exersaucer etc) his weight is leveling out...so if a baby doesn't have those extra fat stores I would assume they would begin to be underweight when they start being more active and burning off those extra calories...I could be wrong though...I'm just speaking from my experience with my little guy.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Ies, my SIL did say she doesn't want to feed too much to avoid weight issues. I am worried about my niece's health because she sleeps constantly. I am afraid its from lack of nutrition. My brother and her have both stated they don't want their baby to have rolls like mine does. She also said she gave her DD 6oz once and she threw it all up. She only did this to sleep better at night. She said she didn't burp inbetween, which could have caused the throw up, I assume. She still won't try again. Says she only needs 4oz.
As for the tongue tied issue, I am pretty sure she will have speech problems. She can barely move her tongue.

Closed Thread