It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

mamatbg HB User
Newborn is grunting alot, is this normal?

My 2wk old has been grunting alot. At first I thought it was an isolated incident, but now he seems to grunt all the time, especially when he is lying down. Is this normal? Should I call the doctor? He doesn't seem to be in distress, but he grunts in his sleep and while awake. He doesn't have gas or diareha, its like he is constantly trying to move around or somthing but can't because he is only 2 wk old. I need information, please help.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: Newborn is grunting alot, is this normal?

Anytime there is a question about a newborn, call the doctor now. There is no way to safely guess and it's better to call than to wish you had. If your peditrician's office has closed for the day, call the after hours or emergency number. This is why you have a doctor for your baby. Together you keep your baby healthy and safe. Your job is to call, tell what is happening, and let the doctor decide what is needed.

Grunting could just be needing to poop, but it could be problems with breathing. Don't guess or hope, call!!

On-line, you can wait forever for an answer and the baby could be in big trouble by then.

Wishing you and your baby well - Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

The grunting noise is completely normal, it's really the only noise they can make except for crying of course.
Don't worry, babies are very noisy! It used to freak me out at night when I could hear them breathing, stopping breating, grunting, squaking etc.
Very normal.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Yep, grunting is totally normal and my babies grunted all the time, so cute! Call the Pediatrician to feel better about it and I'm sure it will be fine!

Old 03-23-2006, 09:14 PM   #5
(female)

mamatbg HB User

Thanks
I starting thinking I was a bad mom because I didn't call the doctor right away, but he doesn't seem to be in distress but grunting and stretching alot. He has a doc. appt. Mon. and I'm sure they will confirm that it is normal too.
I just needed some reassurance my first child was in NICU at this stage and that was 7yrs. ago, so I didn't know what to expect from a newborn. I guess I am nervous after my first born's situation and a miscarriage. I have asked the doc. a ton of questions already. I just love by baby so much, I want him to be okay.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:38 AM   #6
(female)

Melancolly HB User
Arrow Re: Newborn is grunting alot, is this normal?

Be on the safe side. It will put your mind at reat to get your little son checked out by a doctor.
Grunting can be a sign of respiratory problems, it can also be caused by other less serious reasons.
Two weeks old is very 'new' and I'm sure yu will feel better for some reassurance that all is well.
I used to work on a neonatal unit and a grunting baby was always checked over as a matter of course.

Good luck with the little man!

Mc xx

Old 03-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

mama
i am glad you asked this my ds does the same but i figured out it is when he has trapped wind. in fact he often does wierd breathing patterns when he is tired too i think we are in the same boat with worries about bad things happening to our little ones i think our previous loses have scared us. i am trying not to freak out a lot but ds is so precious i never want anything bad to happen. take care hope otherwise ds is doing well like mine

Old 03-24-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
(female)

mamatbg HB User
Talking Re: Newborn is grunting alot, is this normal?

Thank you Weepyone. I really believe you know and understand the feelings I have experienced. The message board has really been a blessing to me during my pregnancy, and also now with the birth of my son, because it has allowed me to meet encouraging women like you. Thanks for telling about your son. I believe my little one is alright now, but I will still mention the grunting to the doc next week, just to be on the safe side, however, my mind is more at ease now.

Last edited by mamatbg; 03-24-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I asked my doctor about this. The grunting is because babies breath out of their noses. The are forcing air out at that age. DS is 4 motnhs old and he doesn't grunt anymore. The earlier days he did grunt, like crazy!

Old 03-25-2006, 12:58 PM   #10
(female)

mamatbg HB User

Thanks roxyfoxy, I appreciate your input. It helps.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I just read weepyones post and I remember DS always grunted when he was sleeping. I had such a hard time sleeping at night because every sound I jumped up. With the grunting, I was up all of the time. My friend said they sound like old men. lol

No problem by the way, this board is wonderful. Any questions I have I always come here first. You get so many percpectives from different women all over the world.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

OH my! Ds was the grunter of all time! He grunted all day and night for about 3 or 4 months. Then it just stopped, overnight! Noone told me that they did that...........

Old 03-29-2006, 01:46 PM   #13
(female)

mamatbg HB User

THANK LADIES! My little one is perfectly healthy. The doc. confirm what you had already told me, and that was that the grunting is normal and that my baby was just excercising his vocal cords. His breathing is fine also.

I have noticed that most of you refer to your babies as ds, what does that stand for?

Closed Thread