It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

sweeterthan HB User
Exclamation 3 Month Old Rolling Over On Tummy In Crib

I put DD to sleep on her back every night in her crib. I even check on her again before I go to bed and she is still on her back. She has just started sleeping through the night this past week..... the day I have longed for, for 3 months now. But the past few nights either me or my fiance find her in the morning asleep on her tummy! This scares me because of SIDS... but she rolls over all by herself in the middle of the night. She seems to sleep soundly all night. She usually goes for 6-8 hours through the night with no more night time feedings so I am assuming she is fine. What can I do to keep her on her back? Or do I just let her go. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Amber

Old 03-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User
Re: 3 Month Old Rolling Over On Tummy In Crib

you can get one of those wedge thingy's, but since she is not used to it, she may not like it. Once my ds started rolling, there was nothing I could do about it. If it really worries you, go pick up an angel monitor, there is a little pad that goes under the mattress and it will sound an alarm if she stops breathing for too long. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 03:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Laur77 HB User

Your daughter is big enough now that she will lift her face if she can not breathe. Once they can roll on their own, it is fine for them to sleep in different positions. My son is on his back, stomach, side, back, etc...all night. He is a big mover. I was scared when he first started sleeping on his belly too, but we can't keep them on their backs forever
I have the angel care monitor too and it helps me sleep better at night.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Question about this angel care monitor - can you have a fan on in the room making noise and it will still work (I guess it picks up your childs breathing right?)..... is it by sound?

I have an 8 week old that refuses to sleep on her back. She won't. just decided this about 2 weeks ago.

Amber - that is GREAT news about the night time feeding - yeah!! good for you - I have 1 month to go - I hope my little one just starts skipping her meals at night too. Last night at 8 weeks she skipped the late night feeding and fed at 2am - this was GREAT.

Friday

Old 03-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Veteran

Jessthemess HB User

Dd did the same thing when she was 3 months. My ped. told me that there is really nothing you can do short of standing by the crib all night long. She should have good head control by now anyway, so she'll move her head if need be. I know it makes you worry, but it'll be fine.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
(female)

sweeterthan HB User

Thanks ladies for all your advise. I am not going to worry because she is strong enough now that if she is in any danger she can move her head and neck. She is growing up so fast!

Old 03-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I was told the risk of SIDS increases after babies can move about because they can get their faces against a stuffed animal, blanket, bumpers, etc. I don't stress myself over SIDS because I do think there is more to it, I was just adding my two sense.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

the site for SIDS awareness says that when your child can roll around on their own they are fine, no blankets and stuff obviously, they also said if your baby can roll DO NOT use a wedge thing as this could be dangerous

Old 03-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I agree. There is nothing you can do when this happens. You might also want to keep in mind that the risk of SIDS is not even 1 in 1000 for a newborn tummy sleeper and that up until 1993 all peds advised us to place our babies on their tummies from day one. SIDS was rare even then. The already low rate drops even more drastically after the baby is rolling over on his or her own.

Nancy

Old 03-30-2006, 05:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Obviously my nurse was wrong. I don't listen to anything about SIDS except for back sleeping. I put him on his stomach for daytime naps and cover him with a blanket. My SIL is freaked out about SIDS. She lays dd with no blanket and only a sleeper and keeps the warm cold so she doesn't overheat.

Closed Thread