It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
(female)

amlve HB User
Unhappy Breast Milk & Diarrhea Question.... Please Help.... Very Scared!!!!!

Hello. This evening I have been looking on LLLs website after concerns have arisen regarding my 4 week old son. I am not breast feeding, I am exclusively pumping due to many problems in the beginning. I have tried unsuccessfully many times to get my son to latch on properly and nothing has worked. I have worked with 3 different consultants. I have recently resorted to supplementing with formula at night to help out since supply is up one minute & down the next. I can get anywhere from 3-7 oz at a pumping. But my son is drinking 5 oz already. If I would let him he would eat every 2 hrs. But I have been able to keep him at 3-4 hrs for the most part. He has had no problems gaining. LOL. No problems with stools or spitting up much. But he does spit up more with my milk than with formula. Stools have always looked normal, yellow to a yellowish orange & seedy, sometimes runny. However tonight I went to change him and while he was on the table he had what I am assuming is diarrhea for a better part of 10 minutes. It was bright green, runny, sometimes with bubbles in it. And there was a ton. This has happened again tonight. About 3 hrs apart. I have read that this can be an allergic reaction to something I may have eaten, a problem with Hindmilk (baby not getting enough) or if the baby is drinking large quantities of milk, then he is also consuming large quantities of lactose or milk sugar.According to LLLs website this is what they say:" If the baby is drinking large quantities of milk, then he is also consuming large quantities of lactose or milk sugar. Babies can handle a certain amount of lactose, because they make lactase--the enzyme necessary to digest that sugar--although the supply is limited. Too much milk may mean more lactose than the baby has lactase to handle, setting up a problem similar to lactose intolerance. Any of you who suffer from lactose intolerance can immediately sympathize with the discomfort that baby will feel! The high lactose content in the intestine leads to diarrhea, which is further complicated because a low fat content in the milk will cause rapid stomach emptying. Sometimes the stomach "empties in the wrong direction," causing these babies to spit up--they consume more milk than they can comfortably hold. Compounding the problem, if baby doesn't get the calories he is after, he will want to eat sooner." The later seems like the problem to me. Because he wants to eat so fast after the last feeding. I did not breastfeed or pump for my daughter so I have no idea about any of this. But isnt 5 oz of breast milk alot for a 4 week old? His doctor told me 2-4 oz when he was 2 weeks old. I told him that sometimes he would take 5 after I had tried everything else. He said that was fine and now my son is at 5. Im worried. Should I call his doctor? Give him formula to "see" if its from my milk? I just dont know what to do. Any suggestions? He had formula at his last bottle and I have frozen all but 3 bottles. I appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2006, 04:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User
Re: Breast Milk & Diarrhea Question.... Please Help.... Very Scared!!!!!

Heather- Congrats first off! Okay, I have exclusively BF for 11 months, and I have come across this a few times. You were right about the imbalance of foremilk and hindmilk. If he received too much foremilk, it can result in bad gas and green poop. Have you mixed different breast milks ( days or 2 different times)? Ds would drink 5 oz every now and then at that age. He may be going through a growth spurt as well. I really wouldn't worry too much. If it happens more, then take him in to the doctor. But I really don't think that it sounds alarming. I may have been something you ate that wound up in the milk too............

Old 04-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Has he always had loose stools? Is he growing okay or does he eat and eat and isn't growing? I would take him to the doctor for a check. Loose, foamy and sometimes greasy stools with a voracious appetite can be a symtom of a malapsorption issue.

Old 04-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
(female)

amlve HB User

Thanks for your replies ladies. Well it seems that it was only the 2 BMs. Now his stools are back to normal. So Im hoping that it was just that couple of times. Oh trust me, hes growing like a weed. He was a little over 9 lbs when he was born. At a week old he was 10 lbs. And hes probably 12 lbs now. Hes definately getting enough. I just hope that it works out ok. Im still worried, but I feel so much better now that his poopies seem nirmal again. LOL. Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

Maybe he is overeating becasue he is starving by the time he eats? I am not trying to say this in a mean way, but my BF son could never have gone 3-4 hours between feedings. For sure he ate every 2 hours and maybe more during a growth spurt. I think the rule is every 2-3 hours for a BF baby and every 3-4 hours for a formula fed baby. Even with the rule my DS ate more than that.

Good luck I hope you find something that works for you all.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Rouge is right, I forgot to mention that as well. Ds ate at least every 2 1/2 hours at that age.

Old 04-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
(female)

amlve HB User

Hello ladies. Thanks again for your advice. I was just concerned regarding his stools.

Last edited by amlve; 04-02-2006 at 05:39 PM.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I'm sorry but I have to throw this in here.. Why is it that we have a "rule" to feed our babies?? My DS is either fed off the breast, or bottle fed breast milk. He WILL NOT eat every 2-3 hours.. He eats around every 4. I'm not going to force feed my son when he isn't hungry! What is wrong with "on demand" feeding?? His pediatrician is totally fine with the way he is eating also. I don't think at all that amberlove's son was "starving" at that point.. Just my opinion..

Old 04-03-2006, 07:05 AM   #9
(female)

amlve HB User

Thank you Amy for that. I agree totally. I would never starve my son. Im glad that Im not the only one that demand feeds. Actually Im finding out that alot do. I appreciate everyones honesty, but sometimes it can be rude. Even if unintentional. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

I say "rule" for moms who try and hold off on feeding their baby. Maybe you guys don't do that, but just in case I wanted to throw that out there. You would be surprised how many moms make their babies wait to eat for some reason on another. They set the timer and feed them when it goes off or wait 3 hours because that's what they heard. I guess I never thought my using the term "rule" when trying to dissuade this, would actually have the opposite result and make more moms think they should wait. My son was completely fed on demand. I never looked at a clock and fed him when he was hungry until he stopped wanting to breast feed at 23 months. I have never met a 0 - 3 month old baby that ate less often than every 2-3 hours - that does not mean that they are not out there. I just have not met one.

This may have been my fault, but when I read the post I felt the mom was trying to hold off on feedings. I guess I was wrong about that.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

Quote:
But my son is drinking 5 oz already. If I would let him he would eat every 2 hrs. But I have been able to keep him at 3-4 hrs for the most part.
I guess this statement is why I thought the feeding were being held instead of feeding on-demand.

I do go back to my original statement that your baby is over hungry and is over eating when your baby does eat.

When you were feeding every two hours maybe it was during a growth spurt and you baby was eating much more than usual. Maybe try the two hours again and see if it tapers a bit. I would think that if your baby slows down a bit the diarrhea might subside.

good luck!!

Last edited by rouge; 04-03-2006 at 09:12 AM.

Closed Thread