It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Arrow April 2006 Moms/Babies

Hey April Moms!
I know I have many questions and concerns and I figured starting this thread could help us relate some of our experiences, problems, questions, or concerns we are having about our new infants. Personally, this is our second evening at home and the first one was hell as she was wide awake all throughout the night/early morning with lots of gas. Tonight is the second night and here I am at midnight......she is sleeping in a swaddle sling I am wearing at the moment.

What are the rest of you doing at home.....like are you sleeping when baby sleeps? Who gets up the baby at night or do you take shifts?

I am glad we have these boards because I need all of you more than I ever knew! It is wonderful to find some common ground with others who are experiencing the same thing. Being a first time Mom I am unsure of some things and eager to get a schedule going for the baby and ourselves. I keep dreaming about when she is a little older and I don't have to worry about sleep and waking up in the middle of the night so much!

Old 04-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User
Re: April 2006 Moms/Babies

Hi Orange!! Congrats on your baby girl and on a great labor! Yeah the first night home with her was hard too. She was great those two nights in the hospital, saved it all for when she got home!!LOL!! I TRY to sleep when she does but it is hard, I cant just fall asleep at the drop of a hat. My mom has been here and she usually takes her at night and brings her in when shes hungry or when she just cant get her to quit crying. Unfortunately Jenae likes to sleep with me and her dad which means I cant sleep good. My dh has had to work so I try not to get him up unless I'm desperate. My mom leaves tonight ( ) and my dh is taking a week off work to help me out so he will be helping me tonight. Jenae also gets bad gas and I feel so bad for her, I just put her on my shoulder and burp her for a while and then I lay her down and "bicycle" her legs, as I heard that helps release gas, which it does. She has some "EXPLOSIVE" poops!!LOL!
One thing we learned was that she loves to be cuddled tight, so she sometimes sleeps in her carseat or we'll wrap her real tight and she'll be good for a few hours. She just has a HUGE appetite and I was wondering if that was normal? How often/much does Alexa eat? Yesterday and last night Jenae was nursing for 10-15 minutes and then still wanted her bottle, which she drank at least half of each time. My milk is already in and there seems to be plenty.
Well Im glad you started this thread and I will be checking in here whenever I get the chance.
Take care you two!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

Last night, the second night was better. Today she has been wide awake most of the morning and is finally sleeping some now at 1PM. I hope this means she will rest more tonight since this is the most she has been up during the day.

We bottle feed Alexa and try to every 3-4 hours. She gulps fast and then quits. We try to get her to take a good ounce. As of this morning she starting to root alot with her mouth, even after she just ate so we ended up feeding her several times within a couple of hours this morning. The nurse stopped by this morning and said we can feed her an ounce and a half up to maybe two ounces if she wants it.

The hardest part is I feel as if I am being pulled in so many directions. I need to eat but rarely get to, brush my teeth, take a shower, nap, and still clean up and do normal chores around the house and am having a difficult time with having time for myself. I do take nice baths in our jacuzzi tub when she is sleeping in the evenings, but I already feel somewhat stir-crazy. She is only four days old and I know everything will get better. It helps being able to relate with other "April Moms" who are going through the same thing too. I also look forward to your posts Steph. I can't remember......did you know you were having a girl or was it a surprise?

Old 04-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #4

brands11 HB User

I was supposed to be an April mom but ended up having dd on March 28. I know what you mean orange about feeling a little crazy, the lack of sleep does that, but it does get better. DD (name is Kalyna Sofia) is going on 2 weeks old and is now sleeping for 4 hours at a time. SHe is a monster when it comes to feeding, I think she wuold eat all the time if i let her. THe hardest part yet for me now is waiting for the episotomy I had to heal. It hurts so bad I can barely sit yet. I thought labor was supposed to be the hardest part. Other than that I love being a mama. What an incredible feeling.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

Thanks for the encouragement. I know in time things will get better and we as a family will settle in. The only issue I am having is that in the evening I feel so unsettled for the upcoming night. It isn't fun or settling knowing that I am going to be up at night and unsure of what to do with her....like leave the lights on or turn them off, same with the TV, leave it on or turn it off? I also don't know where she should be sleeping at this point either. I have a bouncer-******* chair, a pack and go crib in our room and her own crib and I am trying to see where she will sleep best yet. So far I spend most of the night and early morning hours holding her on the couch and I fall asleep holding her on the chaise section of the couch and then around 4AM she gets up again and her Dad sleeps with her in our bed while I stay on the couch. It has only been two nights, but I can't wait until I can figure her out more.

By the way.....I posted my Birth Story in the pregnancy board room. It is titled "Alexa Elise arrived 04/04/06"

I am also wondering if I need to wake her up to eat....? I tried a while ago and she wouldn't really eat. Is it okay to let her go until she is ready?

Old 04-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #6

brands11 HB User

Orange,
What has worked for me so far has been putting her pack and play next to our bed and letting her sleep in there. I also put a nightlight in the room which seems to have worked really well. I know how you feel though because when I first took DD home she would only fall asleep in my arms and I felt like a walking zombie the next day. As for waking and feeding her, I dont do it because it takes enough to get her to sleep (I breast feed her) and her doctor said it is fine because she is gaining weight. I finally have her sleeping 4 hours a night, I cant wait until I can get her into a routine.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

hello
i am so tired dh and i had our first night out last night dh is sleeping now whilst i had to get up through the night to feed sam. i am exhausted no wonder people loose thir social life i won't be going out for a while again i feel sooo tired from going out on top of all the tiredness from endless nights of feeding. sam is 9 pounds now and growing fast, he is still beautiful. hope everyone is well

Old 04-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

hello everyone,
No sleep here either unless I let him sleep in bed with us which is a big no-no I know. He just wont sleep in his crib or his bassenett. I swaddle him and have tried everything, its funny how they learn so fast, I think he just likes to be held. I have to wake him every two hours to eat because of his jaundice, he doesnt always eat alot but I get some into him usually. Orange I think its ok to just feed when they ask for it but if it gets to be really long then I would wake her, sometimes they can wait until the last minute and be so hungry it gives them a bad tummy ache if they eat to fast, thats what I found with my daughter anyway and then too she would spit up a ton.
Im on my own starting tomorrow, my hubby goes back to work and my daughter is gone for a week visiting her dad over spring break. I have a feeling I will be getting lots of naps in and not doing anything, its probably good, im pretty sure ive been doing way to much.

Hope everyone is doing good
Meg

Old 04-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

Jenae will go for long stretches between feedings sometimes up to 4 hours, but i think that its because she has breast & bottle she stays full longer. I try to wake her up at least every three hours but it is so hard to get her awake enough to want to eat. she'll get mad and push me away and drift off again. At lunch I struggled for an hour to wake her up and when she did, she was ravenous!!LOL!! I know we'll all soon find a schedule that works for us, its just going to be hard until we do.
Weepy- Are you still supplementing with formula? Hows that going for you? any nipple confusion or problems? DD sometimes gets confused with the breast and tries to suck like a bottle and then gets mad when that produces nothing. and sometimes she'll suck the bottle like the breast.
--Has anyone else noticed that at times the baby breathes very heavily, almost as if congested? DD does this from time to time and I know its not from the position shes in or anything cause it happens even when shes sitting up. Is this something I should maybe be concerned about? Or just normal? tia!!

Well I've gotta run! take care

Last edited by steph66; 04-09-2006 at 06:42 PM. Reason: sp

Old 04-10-2006, 05:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

steph
it sounds like your little one has trapped wind/gas. sams breathing is the same when feeding so i spend ages rubbing his back to get him to burp it up.
i have stoped bf now as i was drying up because sam was only having 3 feeds a day from me it was not enough to keep up my supply. sam did not have any nipple confusion or at least none that was obvious. i am daring to go without breast pads for the first time today i pray i don't leak.

sam is having 3/4 ounces every 3 hours is this the same as everyone else? baring in mind sam is 5 weeks tomorrow? the health isitor told me he should be on 41/1 ounces moving up to 5 ounces every 4 hours but sam does not seem to want to move up a notch. i am feeding him on demand rather than by the clock.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #11
(female)

lrguyer HB User

Hello all,

I AM SO TIRED!!! DS was born on April Fool's Day and so we have been home for a week now. I have not really gotten into a routine yet, but I would LOVE to get there soon. DS had a bad case of jaundice which is clearing up now. He also was only 5 lbs 11 oz. when he was born, dropped to 5 lbs 6 oz and today he got his weight checked and he is already at 5-12!! The doctor was really surprised how quickly he has grown...

Rounsy-I had the same problem trying to get ds to sleep anywhere but in our arms. I finally got a pack and play that has a vibrating basinett in it. It works wonders!! It fools the little guy into thinking that he is being held!

Well, DH just walked into the room with a screaming baby...I guess I should go feed him!!

Lisa

Old 04-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

Our daughter, Alexa, breaths fast sometimes too Steph, usually when she is sleeping. I assume it is normal because you experience the same thing and I also think it just may be a dream......but she does the same thing.

As far as feeding, she is suppose to eat 1-2 ounces. If she is really hungery she will eat 2 ounces, but not likely. Usually just an ounce or so. She is bottle fed with formula and she bowel movements are yellow with seeds?! Anyone elses baby go like this? We always ask her where she ate seeds at.

Anyone experiencing the "baby blues"? I cried a few times a couple of nights ago. I just felt overwhelmed with her here and how our lives have changed forever. I was also always nervous and unsettled with anticipation of the approaching evenings. It will be one week tonight since I have had her and I am feeling better. It is taking some time getting used to her and my body use to getting up at night. I am also trying to solely take care of her at night she when my husband goes back to work he won't have to worry about getting up.

I also have to hold her at night too! I sit up on the chaise end of our couch and I sleep sitting up with her in my arms. When I set her in her ******* bouncer chair she doesn't sleep as long or doesn't at all and usually not when we put her in the pack and play or her crib. It has been less than a week and we have plenty of time to figure out where she will sleep best. I also think they just like to be close to us especially from coming from inside of us all wrapped up tight and warm. I know it takes time to establish a schedule and the earliest they say a baby can be spolied is 3/4 month mark or even 6 months.

Does anyone baby cry or cry for a while just to cry? I am just wondering.....Alexa rarely cries at all and if it is it is actually a slight fuss like when she is hungery and I am taking too long to make the bottle. I try not to talk to her at night so she can learn the difference between day and night as well. I read it is best to make it boring for them at night.

Rounsy,
I hope you get plenty of rest this week while you have some time by yourself with the baby......by the way what day did you deliver on?

Thats all for now! I am so glad I have all of you to share and ask questions with!

Old 04-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #13
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

I delivered on march 31st, and yes he has yellow seedy bm. I heard the seeds are actually like milk stores that body makes. Or something like that anyway.
I have started getting some sleep only because I gave in and started letting him sleep in our bed, we do have a bassinett that vibrates but hes not fooled oh no!

Reed doesnt cry much at all either, he has a little cry when hes wet and then he just does his little mouth moves when he is hungry, so I guess im lucky that way. He does cry when we change him but once he has his clothes back on hes fine.

Im only having problems with him spitting up, he does it at pretty much every feed. Anyone else. I heard that he shouldnt be doing it that much and thats when we burp him good too.
Meg

Old 04-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

No problems with spit up here but does anyone infant sneeze? She is a week old today and she sneezes several times a day. I notice a schedule of her getting up around midnight, 2:30AM, and 5:30AM. Those are the times I am up at night with her but she usually eats, I change her if needed and she goes back to sleep, with me of course holding her sitting upright on the chaise. Thats how I sleep now.....I would like to eventually move her into her ******* bouncer chair to sleep in and then into a crib or pack and play. I will sleep with her for the meantime on the couch and I know they say you can't spoil an infant right now, but I worry about her getting use to sleeping in my arms and once she isn't she will be scared, awake, etc. and not sleep.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #15

brands11 HB User

Hey Orange,
My DD sneezes alot too and I asked around and it is quite normal for newborns to sneeze alot. I always worried she might be getting sick, but it is just her adjusting. I wish my dd only woke up twice each night! She is two weeks old today and seems to be a night owl no matter how much I try to change her schedule. It is really starting to take it's toll on me. Im so tired..lol
Well hope eveyrone is feeling better!

Brandy

Closed Thread