It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 06:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User
Ear pulling and Rice Cereal

My ds is 2 and half months old. Recently he began pulling at his ears during feedings. I'm just wondering if he just "found" his ears and is playing with them or is it possible he somehow got a ear infection? He's acting normal, doesn't have a temp and is eating like a cow.

Also can I start him on rice cereal? He seems to be eating more then usual and I know his feeding should be further apart then hour and a half!! He's not throwing his tonuge out anymore (my sisters dr told her this is a sign they are ready) and he's eating 6oz. I don't see his ped till 4 months of age and I know you usually start them on cereal around then but I feel like he's eating non-stop and he's about ready for it! My sister's ped told her to give her daughter some rice cereal around my ds age. Any suggestions? I mean lastnight he ate almost every hour..which I got to the point were I gave him his pacy bc I think it was mostly comfy feeding. Which he does alot. I know it isn't a growth spurt bc he isn't acting like he usually does when he has one.

Thanks for the help ladies!

Old 05-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: Ear pulling and Rice Cereal

I bet that he has just "found" his ears. I've taken both my kids to the doctor when they found their ears. But you never know. Keep a close eye on it. Or do you have any Minute Clinics around you? A nurse could take a quick look.

As for the cereal, I'd call your doctor and ask, just to know for sure. I know that docs have given even the youngest the go-ahead with cereal due to certain circumstances, but it's best to get the professional "thumbs up"

Good luck and congratulations!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Laur77 HB User

I would say he has just discovered his ears as well. My son did about that age too, and loved to pull on them all the time. If there are no other signs, and he is feeling well I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the cereal, just my opinion to wait the four months. Some docs/health units etc, are even recommending six months now. Right now your baby needs the nutrients from your breast milk/formula more than anything

Old 05-16-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

OneGreatMommy HB User

Ya I agree, no worries! My DD is 2 months and we give her tad of rice...but shes always playing with her ears, another reason I am holding off on ear pearcing!

Last edited by OneGreatMommy; 05-16-2006 at 10:22 AM.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I think he found his ears too. DD did this (still does at 8 months).

Are your sure it's not a growth spurt? Especially in the 2nd and 3rd months of life, bodies & personalities develop & change more than in the first couple months of life.

I can tell you from experience that growth spurt behaviors change as the baby gets older. Just becasue your baby is not acting his "normal" growth spurt way doesn't mean he's not having one. Babies change as they get older.

One growth spurt around 3 months, DD ate normal (every 2 hours) during the day and every singe hour from 8pm to 8am during the night for 7 days straight. During those 7 days, I would have told you that something was going on...but it's NOT a spurt...it's not her "normal" spurt behavior. It was a growth spurt.

The # of days a growth spurt lasts can change. The times of day they are fussy or hungry in a spurt can change. How they let you know they want food changes. If you're worried, I'd see your Ped to talk about it. In reading your post, I really thing your baby is having a growth spurt.

I would not give cereal at that age unless your Ped recommends it.

Edited to add: Around the time the growth spurts ended, I was finally starting to feel comfortable in recognizing when DD was having one. I breastfed, but I could definitley tell when she was sucking for comfort and sucking for food. No matter how odd DD's behavior was from the "normal", if she was sucking for food all the time, I knew it was a growth spurt and I fed her whenever she wanted. If she was sucking for the sake of comfort, I knew she wanted love & attention more than anything. Using that logic, I was right on every time when I questioned a growth spurt.

Last edited by Gayle0000; 05-16-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
(female)

Yahuh HB User

I would not recommend starting on cereal this early. Their digestive system is just not mature enough for the 'foreign' substance. It sounds like your dc may be going through a growth spurt.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

OneGreatMommy HB User

My Ped told me to add a tsp for ever 2oz, she was drinking 6oz every 2 hrs

Old 05-16-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I don't see a problem with rice cereal as long as the dr oks it. DS is 2 months today and has a little rice cereal.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

Thanks ladies! I wasn't to worried about the ear pulling, but my in-laws kept saying "Its an ear infection, lalalala" and I just end up ignoring them half the time. I notice he plays with them alot when eating and when he's excited lol.

I think I'll call my ped on the rice cereal. THough lastnight we did have a good night so who knows.

Thanks again!!

Old 05-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
(female)

amlve HB User

Im sure that I will get back lashed for what Im about to say, but oh well. If anyone has rude comments please keep them to yourself. I come from a family where we are really old fashioned. I had my first child when I was 16 and almost soley relied on my Mom and Grama for advice. My Grama had 7 kids, all healthy and turned out well. I cant honestly say that I trusted her judgement over anyone else. Even though she is gone now and its 12 yrs later I still follow her advice. DD had cereal at 1 month and 1st stage food at 2 months. She was never obese or sick. She always did well. Now Im not saying that every child is the same so still use your own judgement and consultation of your doctor. My DS has the same ped as DD did. As you know Jess, DS is the same age as your DS and we had to put cereal in his bottles due to reflux. Thats almost over we hope, and we have cut back the cereal bottles drastically. Down to 2. He eats cereal once a day and starting next week will go to 2 feedings a day. When he is 4 mon. we will start 1st stage food. The ped said that I could have started sooner, but since hes such a healthy boy already to wait. So I am. Dont worry about it. Oh and the doc did say a Tablespoon for every 2 oz of formula. Good luck and happy feeding!!!!! Hugs to baby Mac.

Closed Thread