It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

monnitascl HB User
Red face Can newborn sleep on pillow??

My newborn (4dys old) likes to sleep slightly slanted on her back, and she seems to deep sleep on a soft pillow behind her back. It's not a huge pillow which will allow her to tilt to one side, but just a little added padding to her back so she can sleep comfortable. I don't know if that is a bad way to place her, but she does not seem to be at ease with her little body completly to her back in a hard mattress. Does anyone know??? Thanks!!

Old 06-22-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User
Re: Can newborn sleep on pillow??

I personally would not do this only because of the risk of SIDS...I know many people would say the risk is like 1 in 1000...but many know my Nephew dies of this so it is something I take VERY seriously, but that is just me. My DS would not sleep flat o his back either so what we did was put a blanket UNDER his mattress in his bassenette...his matress was still tight enough to where no spaces were left, but it elevated it and he slept like a dream.

He also loved to sleep on a pillow and I would allow this if he was next to me onthe couch, but never alone or by himself. If he was to turn over he could not lift his head and could suffocate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I agree with the safety of a pillow. Even two week old babies have been known to roll over. Most babies do not sleep well flat on their backs. Some other options are:

Sleeping in the carseat (use the headrest and put it right in the crib)
Sleeping in the swing
Sleeping in the bouncy
Swaddling the baby
Co-sleeping
Propping the baby on her side
Letting the baby sleep on her tummy if you are comfortable with it (the risk for SIDS is less than 1 in 1000 for a tummy sleeper and about 1 in 1500 for a back sleeper)

Nancy

Old 06-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

I did what Skeeter suggested and put some rolled recieving blankets under the mattress, not under her. I did this because she has reflux and needed to sleep on an incline, but now she likes it. You can buy specifically made wedges that are designed to fit under bassinet and crib matresses, but what I did works just as well.

Also, the matresses are hard for a reason. I know it doesn't seem comfortable, and sometimes it's not for them, but if they did manage to roll onto it face down it prevents them from being sunken into soft bedding to where they'd suffocate.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

I bought my infant a memory foam wedge that is slightly slanted and has breathable side guards to make her feel snug. It's seems really safe.

Closed Thread