It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
(female)

Honeychild HB User
Fish and Mercury Threat to Infants

Hi all

I really want to feed my baby fish, but I keep hearing about high levels of mercury in fish.

I hear that fish is excellent for their developing brains, amongst other good benefits for infants.

but how do I know what is going to be low in mercury and what is high???

how would I find out??

I don't want to deprive my child of fish and its benefits, but the mercury effect is pretty worrying!

thanks in advance everyone!

Honey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2006, 02:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: Fish and Mercury Threat to Infants

ok i checked my baby book can i say the name? it is what to expect the first year it is probably the nglish version i have got.

smoked fish such as smoked salmon or trout should not be given as they are often cured with nitrates to keep them fresh and they may have listeria.

high levels of mercury fish such as shark, tuna, swordfish, king mackerel and tile fish, fish from contaminated waters should not be given. tinned tuna should be limited. there is a website adfdress for the food standards government agency uk - the closest i can get to giving you the web address which can give advice on fish

sushi should not be given due to parasites.

this is the best info i can find

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

How old is the baby? Are you breastfeeding or feeding formula? You can get formula, if you are feeding this, with DHA.

I eat fish 3 times a week. A lot of people are worried about mercury in fish, but really the high mercury content comes from eating game fish like shark, tuna, mackeral, like weepy said. Salmon can contain mercury, but Wild salmon is super low in mercury. Farm raised has higher levels, but if eating in moderation it is fine. Canned tna is fine if eating once a week. At least these are the recommendations of the EPA.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

The biggest problem I have heard about fish is the possiblity of allergic reaction. Make sure it is cooked completly! As for the mercury, that is mainly in farmed fish. Wild caught is ok. My Mom looked up to see how much fish I could eat without having problems, and someone who weighs what i do (i'm not telling, lol) can eat 8lbs of fish of week without overdosing on mercury, according to the FDA. Of course a baby weighs less, so the number would be less.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
Inactive

plymouth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattieos
As for the mercury, that is mainly in farmed fish. Wild caught is ok.
Actually, the exact opposite is true. Mercury levels are highest in the oldest and largest fish, caught in the wild. Farmed fish are younger and smaller therefor having lower levels of mercury.

http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/fishadvice/advice.html
"However, nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of mercury. For most people, the risk from mercury by eating fish and shellfish is not a health concern. Yet, some fish and shellfish contain higher levels of mercury that may harm an unborn baby or young child's developing nervous system. The risks from mercury in fish and shellfish depend on the amount of fish and shellfish eaten and the levels of mercury in the fish and shellfish. Therefore, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are advising women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children to avoid some types of fish and eat fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.
Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.
Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.
Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.
Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.

Follow these same recommendations when feeding fish and shellfish to your young child, but serve smaller portions."

Old 07-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Sorry, I was going by what they told me at the dr when I was pregnant. Everybody tells you different things! But since yours is from the EPA I will go with that, lol.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

shelliam HB User

I was told that too so I have avoided farm raised since

Old 07-05-2006, 02:04 AM   #8
(female)

Honeychild HB User

Hi there plymouth

i was told to avoid farmed fish as that is very high in mercury.

i have begun feeding my infant sardines (I hear the small fish are least mercury)

but i feel sorry for him only eating sardines (for fish intake) and really wanted to give him some different fish, but not something that was gonig to put his health at risk. there is some info that suggests mercury can exacerbate autism or bring it on. so I want to be ultra careful in that respect, especially with an infant's developing system.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

shelliam HB User

[url]http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html[/url]

Here is a list of fish with their min and max mercury findings. The mild whitefishes seem to be the best ; tilapia, hake, had*** and whitefish. The sardines were pretty low too but not something I would always want to eat lol.
I buy the talipia in frozen bags at meijer and pull out as many fillets as I want at the time. I just steam them and give them to DD either mixed in brown rice, mac and cheese or on it's own. She loves it.

Closed Thread