It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User
Rice Cereal for Acid Reflux? Why?

My DS was given ZANTAC today for acid refulx. We are not "sure" if this is whats going on, but after checking teeth, ears, digestions, etc there is nothing else it could be.

Ok, my questions is why would the PED recommend I start giving ds rice cereal now that he has reflux? He is 3 months 20 days so he is right at 4 months almost, so I feel more comfortable doing this is it will help.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User
Re: Rice Cereal for Acid Reflux? Why?

I was told that it is because it is alot thicker than formula or ebm so it's easier to hold down/soak up the acid in the stomach. Just like as an adult if you have GERD you should eat bread, etc.

I'm pretty sure that is why, maybe someone else can add to this to make me understand it a little more also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i think soon2 be is probably right plus if babe is bringing back milk giving baby rice ensures he is still getting some nutrition as it is easier to stay down and is as close to milk as possible.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weepyone
i think soon2 be is probably right plus if babe is bringing back milk giving baby rice ensures he is still getting some nutrition as it is easier to stay down and is as close to milk as possible.
Rice cereal is not close to milk at all. Actually, it is very nutritionally void compared to breastmilk and formula, which is why I don't understand it is a first "solid" food. But anyway...

Reflux is an imature valve that connects the stomach to the esophogus. It fluctuates and doesn't trap acid down, so when stomach acid rises it becomes uncomfortable for baby. The cereal is heavy and slowly digested, so it helps prevent the stomach contents, which would pretty much be pure liquid, from rising.

My DD has been diagnosed with reflux since 3 weeks of age and I've never given her cereal for it, and she is what our prediatrician described as a pretty moderate-severe case. She's been on zantac, and that couple with modified feeding (on an incline, frequent burping, etc) she has done great.

Also, the amount of milk they spit up is usually minimal. It looks like a lot more then it is. As long as he's gaining weight and still making good wet diapers then the spit up is nothing to worry about, other then, of course, controlling the pain associated with the acid, which is what the Zantac is for.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

Well, that is the thing, he is not spitting up at all. I hear gurgling when he burps, but no spit-up. He is 18 pounds 12 ounces so I know he is eating well.
There is just no explaining this sudden onset of crying.

I am going to try the Zantac and see what happens. I hope it works!

Old 07-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

No, actually they told me NOT to put it in his bottle, but to spoon feed him. I gave him the Zantac a few hours ago and i can say that he has not cried once. I am not sure, we will see, but I feel it is a blanket diagnosis. It is worth a shot though...

Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

I forgot to mention that it took a good week for us to see complete results with the Zantac, so hang in there with it. By two weeks she was a completely different baby.

I also agree that reflux seems to be a "cover all" diagnosis. There are things you can do to see if the reflux resolves itself without meds so you don't have to medicate unnecessarily. For example, feeding on an incline and holding your baby upright for 20 minutes after each feeding, along with frequent burping and sleeping on an incline. We did all these things, which helped, so we were pretty sure it was reflux, but it just wasn't enough to make her comfortable. We also found that the prescribed dose was too much, so we adjusted it down until we found the right amount. We went from 1ml twice a day to .5ml twice a day.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

when i say rice is close to milk. well it is mixed with milk so it is closer to milk than veggies or fruit. you know what i mean i did not mean hey substitute milk for rice. sorry i was not very clear

Old 07-10-2006, 04:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Oh consistancy wise. Gotcha.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

He may have silent reflux. That's what two of mine had. The milk comes up but not all the way and they swallow it back down. It burns as it comes up, then comes the crying.

Another thought, have you changed anything in your diet? Maybe something you are eating is bothering him.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

No, nothing in th diet. I eat very clean and bland. Broiled chicken, brown rice,etc. Nothing I know of. When he burps, I hear a gurgle and then he swallows and cries. Maybe that IS what it is? I am going to try the Zantac and see what happens.

I am also going to try the rice cereal. I was not planning on doing this until he was 4 months, but if it makes him feel better that is all that matters to me.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetersquirt
I am also going to try the rice cereal. I was not planning on doing this until he was 4 months, but if it makes him feel better that is all that matters to me.
I would try the Zantac first, and then, if you feel you still need it, try the cereal. Like I said, DD has a pretty severe case and the Zantac did wonders. We noticed a difference within 2-3 days, but by two weeks she was completely different.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #13
(female)

Mamasita_of_3 HB User

Faith is now 4 months old and Ive been adding rice to her bottles since she was 2 months old due to her throwing up her milk ever since birth. I would rather do that then give her meds at this age. Good Luck

David Anthony 4/16/98
Skye Lyn 5/13/01
Faith Lyn 3/20/06

Old 07-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

We gave DS rice early because he was screaming all the time, the dr thought it might be a little reflux, she said, I won't tell you to give him rice, but you can. My friend (with three kids) and my grandma (who raised two of her own and helped with 7 others) actualy suggested it to us first, and we tried it and it really helped alot!
It kind of soaks up the acid I think. I dont' think that is the best way to expalin it though.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:16 AM   #15
(female)

afbigbird82 HB User

i'm new to this so be easy on me i had your same concerns about rice cereal..i have a 2 month old daughter whom which was 2 months premature and couldn't keep any kind of milk down due to acid reflux..i was ready to give up but her doctor told me to try it before we put her on medicine mainly because she's still so small..it has honestly worked wonders. i have to make her formula very thick but it stay down alot better..so in my opinion it's alot better than putting her on medication. hope this helps

Closed Thread