It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
(female)

Cookiem26 HB User
Congestion in 3 week old

Hi. My baby girl will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and she is having a lot of congestion. We had her 2 week check up last week and the pediatrician says the congestion is nothing to worry about and advised we use saline nasal drops and to elevate her mattress some so her head is elevated when she sleeps to help. She does not have a fever and other than being a little fussy she seems ok but especially in the morning she is really congested and we don't know what else we can do for her. The doctor said it may sound like it's in her chest but it's really in her nose. Anyone have any other advise on how to give this poor little one some relief? Would a humidifier help? I didn't think to ask the doctor about that. I know we can't really give her any medication until she is older so if anyone has any advice it would help. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
(female)

j baby HB User
Re: Congestion in 3 week old

do you or your baby's father have allergies? if so, maybe the baby has allergies... something to think about anyway.

i have been noticing the same chest congestion sound, and had wondered if it was in the chest or the nose as it has been hard for me to tell. ds has his 1 month check up this coming Friday and I had planned on asking about it then, but it's comforting to know that it's probably in his nose and not his chest. Thanks for posting!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Did you have a c-section?

This is a very common thing with c-section babes. My DD had that too - and it took a good few months for her to get better... the formula or breast milk will make her sound worse after eating (usually)....

we propped her bed and used saline nose drops too.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
(female)

Cookiem26 HB User

Thanks for your responses, I wasn't aware there was a saline spray, that may work even better than drops for us. She does not have much of a cough but first thing in the morning she sounds like she is full of mucous in her chest and she is stuffy in her nose. We'll have to just monitor her as she gets older to see if it could be allergies too. Although neither my husband nor I have any allergies. We changed all of our air filters and I will try the humidifier again also. And she was not c-section, she was a vaginal delivery. Thanks for all your responses, it sounds like I am in good company though, even though it's frustrating it's good to know that there are several of you who are or have dealt with this also.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
(female)

Mamasita_of_3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiem26
Would a humidifier help?
It is a must in my house and I even got one for my moms when she has my DD. It will keep her from getting congested in the first place, it just keeps it flowing and not stoping up. It also allows them to breath easier. They are fairly cheap running about $20.

David Anthony 4/16/98
Skye Lyn 5/13/01
Faith Lyn 3/20/06

Old 09-14-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
(female)

lesleykev HB User

hi
my son had that problem at bout 4 5 weeks old and the doctor prescribed tghose drops the worked great after a few days ,
i know it seems like an eternity but it will get better just persist with nasal drops .
good luck

Old 09-15-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

usually allergies do not start until after 6 months, so i wouldn't think that that is it.
and if she continues to be congested, the dr. can give you a prescription. my son was about 5 or 6 weeks, when he was doing the same thing and the saline drops and the bulb suction were just not cutting it. it just got the stuff out, but wouldn't clear it.
the prescription is called pediatex-d. i was given samples. but it has a dose for a 1 month old on the bottle. it's is only 1/4 a tsp. 4 times a day. the drs. told me that it was very safe and it did help alot. so may be worth asking about if it continues.
good luck and hope the little one gets better soon.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

I haven't read everyone's response, so I hope this isn't a repeat, but there are nose kits for infants that come with saline and a nose enema. You can use either or both to unstuff the baby's nose.

Also, do you use baby powder? It gives my baby a stuffed up nose so I no longer use it. (I never really understood the purpose of it, anyway, except for
scent).

Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

I haven't read everyone's response, so I hope this isn't a repeat, but there are nose kits for infants that come with saline and a nose bulb. You can use either or both to unstuff the baby's nose.

Also, do you use baby powder? It gives my baby a stuffed up nose so I no longer use it. (I never really understood the purpose of it, anyway, except for
scent).

Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:38 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

dd had this also when she was two weeks old, we used the saline drops,bulb aspirator,baby vicks,and also sat in a steamy bathroom, but be careful how long you stay in there because they can get overheated fast. we also used a pediacare decongestant which worked quite well. good luck, i know how it feels!

Closed Thread