It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 07:29 AM   #1
Veteran

sickofit HB User
Question Sunburn

Anyone's baby getting sunburned even after precautions taken??? I really am at a loss here and I plan on calling her ped, but just curious if anyone's had this problem.

A few weeks ago we went to the beach and Maggie got a sunburn on her face. We thought that maybe it was from the car ride to the beach because at the beach she was in the sun for MAYBE 2 minutes before she was under the umbrella and lathered up with sunscreen. I brought her to the ped and he said that in newer cars (I have a 2004) that it's nearly impossible to get a sunburn through a closed window unless in the car for many, many hours. He suggested that our umbrella might not have been a good UV protector.

Okay, so yesterday we went to the beach and this time I wasn't taking any chances. We lathered her up with sunscreen before we left the house and I put a baby shade screen in the car (just in case) and then when we got to the beach I reapplied sunscreen and she was under the umbrella WITH a hat on the entire time. And guess what? She has a sunburn!!

Now, of course, I'm imagining all sorts of horrible things - one being that she has XP, which is basically being allergic to the sun. I'm kind of freaking out!

She is a red head and she has extremely fair skin, but so am I and I don't burn when under umbrellas with LOTS of sunscreen and a hat on!!

Any ideas, anyone dealt with this???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: Sunburn

sorry i can't help but with such linited sun exposure and those precautions i agree it sounds strange even for a red head. i would just see the doc for advice and his opinion. good luck i hope you get some answers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Red heads and fair skinned individuals are very sensitive to the sun but with all those precautions I wonder if it is something more to it...ask her pediatrician if there are any tests to determine if she is allergic to the sun or any other conditions that would cause her reaction....it is a sunburn though right? I know once I put a lotion (Johnsons Bedtime I think) on DS and he woke up with a rash, so if it is a rash it could be she is sensitive to the lotion.
One of my friends is very sensitive to the sun as well and has gotten blisters from sunburns...keep us updated. Goodluck.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Did you check the expiration date on the sunscreen?

Old 08-01-2006, 07:45 AM   #5
Veteran

sickofit HB User

Yes not expired and actually newly bought.

Closed Thread