It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User
Unhappy My baby nearly choked on phlegm!!!

Someone else had a thread on this a little while ago but I can't find it.

DD is 10 weeks and today, she scared the crap out of me! She had just woken up and just started choking on all of this clear, mucusy spit. You could tell she was trying to cry and breath, but couldn't do either, and her face was a deep, dark red. I started using the suction thing on her but it didn't seem to be working. My first call was to mom, who was a few blocks away. About 20 secs later, I called 911.
Eventually, after suctioning, and suctioning, and suctioning, and suctioning, she seemed ok. I ended up cancelling the ambulance once my mother came and calmed us down, but I did call her doc about this episode. She had me come in and said that it was probably just a random thing but to keep an eye on her for the next couple of days and if she does it again, she was sending her into the hospital to take a pneumogram test to rule out anything serious.

Has anyone ever heard of such a test?? And has anyone gone thru this and found certain things help to prevent it?? I am going to be a serious nervous wreck from now on because of this:-(

Old 08-02-2006, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: My baby nearly choked on phlegm!!!

My son did that three times when he was little. And yes, it scared the living daylights out of me too. Same thing, he woke up (thank god he was resting in my arms at the time) and he started trying to gasp, but nothing was happening. I grabbed the sucker thing as I was dialing 911 and started sucking like mad. He was able to get a breath after about 30 seconds, which felt like 5 minutes.

I got really nervous about him sleeping after that for about 2 months. The next time he did it I knew right away what was happening, I sucked a few times and then put him over my shoulder and whomped him on the back as I ran to the phone. It stopped after a few whacks. Third time I just did the whack trick again as I ran to find the cordless phone and it only lasted a fwe seconds.

I mentioned it to 2 doctors who never mentioned any tests. They said he looked fine and didn't seem too concerned (gerat huh?) Then it never happened again. When I had my 2nd child I kept waiting for it to happen to her, but it never did.

The only thing I might recommend it elevating the end of his crib where his head lays, that will help things drain down. And know where the sucky bulb is at all times.

So scary, but it sounds like you kept your witsd and did all the right things!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiera1595
My son did that three times when he was little. And yes, it scared the living daylights out of me too. Same thing, he woke up (thank god he was resting in my arms at the time) and he started trying to gasp, but nothing was happening. I grabbed the sucker thing as I was dialing 911 and started sucking like mad. He was able to get a breath after about 30 seconds, which felt like 5 minutes.

I got really nervous about him sleeping after that for about 2 months. The next time he did it I knew right away what was happening, I sucked a few times and then put him over my shoulder and whomped him on the back as I ran to the phone. It stopped after a few whacks. Third time I just did the whack trick again as I ran to find the cordless phone and it only lasted a fwe seconds.

I mentioned it to 2 doctors who never mentioned any tests. They said he looked fine and didn't seem too concerned (gerat huh?) Then it never happened again. When I had my 2nd child I kept waiting for it to happen to her, but it never did.

The only thing I might recommend it elevating the end of his crib where his head lays, that will help things drain down. And know where the sucky bulb is at all times.

So scary, but it sounds like you kept your witsd and did all the right things!
Thanks Kiera. How old was your baby when these episodes happened?

Old 08-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
(female)

Paye HB User

myloathe, I'm so sorry you had to go through that! It is very scary! Ds has done this a few times too. It is so scary because he couldn't breathe and turned bright red and then blue. It scares the daylights out of me when it happens. DS did it in the hospital a few times before we came home and the drs and nurses say it's normal. He's done it twice in 3 months since we've been home. He sleeps with a bulb syringe very close to his bed needless to say. Every time I bring it up to the dr's they say that the baby will work through it and be fine, but it scares me to death! I've never heard of the test that they do. Hopefully it won't happen to your sweet baby again.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiera1595
The next time he did it I knew right away what was happening, I sucked a few times and then put him over my shoulder and whomped him on the back
It has happened to us too, and that's exactly what I did. The first time we were actually at a restaurant and Ava was sound asleep in her car seat when it started happening. I was so panicked I couldn't get the straps undone, but when I did I immediately flipped her on to her tummy and put pressure under her ribs and whacked her back while my mom suctioned her. It took her a good hour to stop coughing and settle down enough for me to feel comfortable putting her in her seat so we could get home. She had crap come out her nose, she turned red, and everything. It was HORRIBLE, but she seems to have outgrown in. If I'm nursing her laying down she occasionally shoots stuff out her nose, but she doesn't freak out, I just prop her up, burp her, and lay her back down.

I know how you feel, it's scary!!

Last edited by debating; 08-02-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

If this happens so often, you would think someone might inform you ahead of time, like the hospital doctors/nurses, your pediatrician, maybe even make it a part of the childbirth/childcare classes. My sister told me that one of my nephews uses to have this happen often, hadn't I saw it?? I told her that I probably wouldn't have watched him had I saw that happen. Since then, I've literally slept with one eye open.

Around what age have you all noticed that these episodes tend to taper off??

Old 08-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

I think for us it was about 3 months. She still, *occasionally* does it if she gets a big gulp of milk, but she seems to have the ability to control and/or manage it better, and usually only needs me to burp her (as opposed to the full on suctioning).

Old 08-03-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by myloathe
Thanks Kiera. How old was your baby when these episodes happened?
I think the first time was around 1 month of age. 2nd time was about two weeks later. Last time was probably around 2 months.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #9
(female)

LadyLaine2 HB User

Hi, I posted about this too when my son did it a few weeks ago. Gabe was ten weeks old when this happened too. I think a poster told me that at this age the saliva glands kick up and start producing more and that is why they sometimes choke on their phlem and spit. I noticed at that time Gabe was alot more slobbery as well and still is. I just listen close when he's sleeping, prop up the mattress and keep a bulb close. I've always been obsessed with checking through out the night to make sure he is still breathing. I'm scared to death about sids.

Lainie

Closed Thread