It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User
Unhappy Almost 4 months, still won't sleep

This is kind of an update. My baby is now 3 months + 3 weeks and
still wakes up every 3 hours or less for a bottle at night and takes two 20
min naps a day. Nothing helps. I think I just have a non-sleeper on my hands.
I've tried absolutely everything except cry it out, which I won't do.
I let her cry for one minute and couldn't take it. I even tried feeding her more.
(I give her veggies for her constipation). Doesn't help a bit.

**OH WELL** I've started consuming caffeine again after being off it for 2 years. I figure, if I can't get sleep, I might as well feel better with caffeine.

Of course, I get a little upset when I read things like "My baby is 4 months old and she's wiped out at 9:30pm until 8am". Must be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chloe finally went to sleep at 11:30pm last night after a lot of coaxing. Woke up 2 hours later for a bottle.

I suppose God gave me this challenge for a reason!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User
Re: Almost 4 months, still won't sleep

it is probably just a phase, or lets hope so.
my first son didn't sleep all night until he was 2, at first it was every two hours, then every 3, and so on, he nursed, so he just slept with us, and i would just sleep with my shirt up it was the only way i could get any sleep.
i couldn't nurse my second past 3 months, and he was sleeping through the night until i had problems not making enough milk, so i had to change him to a bottle. he woke up every 2 to 3 hours for a few months after he started then around 9 months it was just once a night. now at 12 months he is finally sleeping through the night (9-6) only for the last 9 nights, so knock on wood.
so hopefully he will out grow it. i know it makes me sick to hear "my baby slept throught the night at 6wks or even 6 months". why can't it be us that is that lucky. i would never let my cry it out either. my first is 4 now and he sleeps in his on bed and room, ever since he was 2 and 1/2. just know it will get better. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

sorry your dd is not a good sleeper i understand you feeling a bit annoyed when others don't seem to have this problem. i just wonder if increasing bottles in the day might make dd sleep for longer at night, just a thought. take care hope you get some sleep soon

Old 08-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

I've increased her calories and it didn't help. I'm afraid it's just personality.
She loves life and doesn't want to miss a second. It just sometimes puts me in a depressed mood. I am very happy to have her and love her so much, but
sleep is something that is SO important to both mommy AND baby.
I never imagined it would be like this!!! (The only reason I'm on the computer how is because DH is home!

Old 08-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

paula
i know lack of sleep is horrid my ds is nosey too he does not want to miss a second. i hope you both get some rest soon take care

Old 08-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #6

RachelEH HB User

Hi Paula,

Sorry to hear about the rough time you are having...It will get better! I am sure you hear that a lot I agree with weepyone, maybe start increasing her feedings during the day? Do you do pacifiers? That may help. If you aren't interested or already use them just disregard that suggestion)
You said don't want to let her cry it out... I just wonder if she is even hungry, I wonder if you let her fuss for about 5-10 minutes, then checked on her, but didn't pick her up (maybe rubbed her tummy) then stepped out. And did this for increasing increments, she would eventually learn that it is sleepy time and not eating time. I know it's hard to listen to them cry and fuss.
Hang in there!!!! You have to let us know how things go. I know it will get better though

Rachel

Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

i just re-read my post, and thought it sounded rude. i am happy for those who get sleep and their babies sleep. i just ment that it was hard when you are going through it, you are jelious and wish it was you.
sorry again and good luck.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
(female)

j baby HB User

i know how you feel not getting any sleep- im struggling during the night, but ds does take ok naps most the time. i don't know how you do it with you son only taking 2 20 minute naps in the day! my ds is very fussy and demanding, so i would probably crumble if i didn't get time when he had his naps. i rely on caffeine to get me started every morning... my coffee is a life saver! ds doesn't seem to be affected by it, thank God. things have got to get easier... they're only little once, hang in there!

Old 08-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

oh love
i know how you feel about jealousy i wished i could have bf but i had problems and i feel really bad when others do it and then moan about ff it cuts me deep. i am sure she will discover sleep is great soon

Old 08-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
(female)

Cheyenne1 HB User

Paula Im gonna go out on a limb here...you may not like it but..here goes The schedule sounds pretty normal for the age every 2-3 hours for feeding. Before you put her down for the night give her the bottle an hour to hour and a half before bed time give her a warm bath (all the nice lil fuzzy things that make one sleepy) and see what happens. A little tech data here....When feeding (even in adults) blood goes into production (leaves the brain) for the breakdown of foods children and adults both get wakeful during this period so putting them down doesnt always work well. They need a little time to digest. A little cranky?.. let her cry its good for her and her lungs. I know guilt right? But let me just say this...your teaching her how to get what she wants by coming to her rescue everytime she starts to cry. Wow dont see that mommy person...Hmmmmm gooo goo...Ok that didnt work WAAAAA Mommy person! Ok now that works! So here I go over and over again WAAAAA!!! Get my drift? It will take a few times before she realizes this and settles down. Its not cruel they dont know any better. Im not saying not to peek in on her (far from it) do so to make sure nothing is really wrong or that there might be a scent in da air (poo poo happens) ya know Then go back to laying her down and letting her adjust to your schedule. Hope this helps!

Old 08-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

I could only BF for 2 months because of my dd's milk protein allergy. I felt guilty about it up until recently. (Don't want to start an argument, either...I just think people should do what's best for them and that's fine by me).

I just wish I was given the ability to feel good on little sleep. Then it wouldn't be a big problem with my dd not sleeping.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaRoet
I could only BF for 2 months because of my dd's milk protein allergy. I felt guilty about it up until recently. (Don't want to start an argument, either...I just think people should do what's best for them and that's fine by me).

I just wish I was given the ability to feel good on little sleep. Then it wouldn't be a big problem with my dd not sleeping.
if only eh lol i am shattered myself today think dreaded af is looming aahhh. sorry you had probs with bf you are not alone don't feel guilty - i need to listen to my own advice lol. take care it is 1130 pm here so off to bed myself night ladies

Old 08-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #13
(female)

nikki_628 HB User

I'm not sure if this has been suggested but have you heard of infant massage??? I tried it early on for my dd and it works really well. I also wear her in a front carrier and she is sleep in a matter of 10-15 minutes. I know you mentioned being sleep deprived. If you are at home with your little one try napping when your little one does. I know easier said than done. But even if you dont take a nap try just closing your eyes and relaxing for 10 or 15 minutes or however long you can. Rest is essential. Good luck

Old 08-04-2006, 09:45 PM   #14
(female)

j baby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaRoet
I could only BF for 2 months because of my dd's milk protein allergy.
I have been wondering if my ds has a milk protein allergy. He's a very fussy/colicy baby, and he passes alot of gas all the time. I have pretty much cut milk out of my diet, but my ped says if my dairy intake is bothering him I have to give up cheese and even butter too, which I don't think I can do. Anyways, I was just wondering how do you know for sure if a baby has a milk protein allergy?

Old 08-05-2006, 08:06 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Shanz4 HB User

Paula,

My DD is the same age as your baby and I really feel for you. It sounds like you have tried everything, so I won't waste your time with lots of suggestions, just support. I always think of what my Mom tells me when I get tired/frustrated...in the great span of life, this is a very small speck of time. It will be over before you know it and life will change again. Just think about what an important and wonderful job you're doing, raising a human being!! It's clear you are a caring and concerned mommy. Hang in there.

My opinion only (not judging ANYone since I have no clue what I'm doing either) I don't think you can spoil them at this age.(3.5 months) I think letting them cry shows them that when they really need you, you aren't there. I read something interesting also...think about the thousands of years babies have been around. Back in cave days, pioneers, native Americans the survival of our species depended on babies being quiet. Crying it out would have alerted predators and enemies where dinner was! Our current technology and society almost demands children conform to our schedules and patterns. Back in the day, the opposite was true. Perhaps if we meet somewhere in the middle??

Lastly, have you tried swaddling? We used it at first and kind of forgot about it. Just recently, I came home and my DH had wrapped Devin up so tight in a blanket. She was sound asleep and I've been using this again ever since. She instantly calms down and quits crying.

Last edited by Shanz4; 08-05-2006 at 08:18 AM.

Closed Thread