It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User
To those mommies with teething babies, I found a miracle.

We've been having a helluva time with Ava teething this past week. I can see her two bottom teeth, but they just won't break, and she has been MISERABLE. We tried going out for dinner last night, and we ended up getting our stuff to go because she was screaming so bad. I had to nurse her twice just to get us 10 minutes from home, but she still SCREAMED the whole way. It was horrible.

Anyway, I've decided not go the Tylenol route anymore. It's great once in a blue moon in a half dose, however, with the FDA trying to change the dose for infants because of liver toxicity reports I'd just rather not. So I did my research and found a couple of alternatives. I ended up getting "Bach's Rescue Remedy". I gave her a few drops of that with the Hyland's tablets and she slept NINE hours last night. Straight. And, she woke up HAPPY!!

Ladies, you HAVE to try this stuff!!

Last edited by debating; 08-05-2006 at 08:09 AM.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User
Re: To those mommies with teething babies, I found a miracle.

Our daughters are the same exactly... same name .... LOL!
She has had one tooth on the bottom break thru the gum last saturday and the second tooth on the bottom break thru the gum yesterday they are both still coming in and she is miserable poor thing...

I have been doing the tylenol 1/2 dose and then motrin or advil every 4 hours when she is really bad and it helps her sleep and not be crazy...

BUT I love that you found something else!! My daughter JUST turned 6 months on July 30th - and we are going thru this - man..... it bites having teeth back to back come in and the first one isn't done giving her pain yet - it isn't fully in. Where did you get the Bachs rescue remedy?

Thanks - Friday

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

I've never heard of the Bachs, I will have to look into that! My little guy has got in the habit of waking many times a night again. Poor things, I am glad they won't remember this whole teething experience!

Old 08-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
(female)

barbicus HB User

North- spill.... Where did you get this stuff. I have to have it. Were going batty here.
barbicus

Old 08-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Shanz4 HB User

Just on the Tylenol issue...I worked for the parent company that makes Tylenol for 10+ years. I know a lot about pharmaceuticals in general, and North is correct. Tylenol is one of the most challenging molecules for the liver to process. Everyone is "comfortable" with it, so it's not common to read its' package insert or prescribing information. I will use it on occassion as well, but I treat it like I would any other medication I put in mine or my child's body. That is, with thought and only when necessary.

However, just because something is "natural" or "homeopathic" does not mean it is safer. In most cases the FDA has not evaluated those products for safety or efficacy. Example: grapefruit juice is one of the most potent inhibitors of the Cytochrome P450 system in the liver. This is the enzyme that the liver uses to metabolize ALL medications. There are many cases of something simple and natural interfering with another medication. Scary huh? One of our Company's biggest products was taken off the market for this very interaction.

I also like to go the natural route/organic etc... whenever possible. Just be careful there too!! I think the Bach's is used in kitties too...my vet gave us some stuff for her "anxiety!!" She used to be the baby and is upset when our new baby screams!!! It's made of flower/plant extracts. Is that the same stuff North?

Last edited by Shanz4; 08-05-2006 at 11:45 AM.

Old 08-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanz4

However, just because something is "natural" or "homeopathic" does not mean it is safer. In most cases the FDA has not evaluated those products for safety or efficacy.
This is something that I know a lot about, since my husband is a naturopath. There IS a difference between homeopathic medicines, and herbal supplements. Herbal supplements are NOT overseen by the FDA, homeopathics, however, are. Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States.

Homeopathic medicines are regulated as drugs by inclusion in the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. All homeopathic medicines are required to have NDC (National Drug Codes) listed on the front panel of the label and box and identify that the products are registered with the federal government. Homeopathic medicines, like all drugs in the United States, are also regulated as prescription and non-prescription. If a remedy is regulated as a prescription item, it is necessary to have a written prescription from a physician to obtain the remedy.

Drugs in the United States are made according to either the United States Pharmacopoeia (USP) or the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States (HPUS). These Pharmacopoeias are like cookbooks that contain the procedures for manufacturing drugs in the United States- either prescription or non-prescription. You can find most common drugs in the USP and every homeopathic medicine from Arnica to Zincum in the HPUS.

There is more about this on Hyland's website, if anyone is interested.

Shanz, thanx for the other info, very interesting!

FYI, I got the Rescue Remedy at Whole Foods. And yes, there is an version, but to the best of my knowledge, the pet one and the animal one are different.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
(female)

Ausomemom2 HB User

Hi North, Thanks for the great info!! My lil' guy is having a really rough time teething. He already has the bottom front 2, but he is worse cutting these. I am guessing it will be the top 2, but I can't see anything yet. Could you give me a little more info on the Rescue Remedy and the Hyland's tablets please? I did a search on them and found so man different types like: Stress relieving drops and Hyland's calming tablets and headache tablets and a lot more. I got confused so I thought I better ask you a little more about it. It sounds like it is heavenly and I would LOVE to be able to give Joshua some relief. Thanks so much!

Old 08-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Hyland's has a whole line of products, including colic and teething. There isn't a "generic" tablet, they're all labeled for what they're used for, so just make sure you get the teething ones. Though the colic ones are great as well.

Like I said, I buy mine at Whole Foods.

Same thing for the Rescue Remedy.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

this has nothing to do with medicine, but will help with teething.
i have 2 boys, the youngest is just about out of the worst teething stage, but one thing that i found helped alot with both is an electric toothbrush. i know this sounds weird, but it truely helps. because it is unsafe to play with or walk around with, i would put them in their high chair and let them have at it. the vibrations and bristles feel great on their gums. my 12 month old still loves it, he has a firetruck one. he sat in his high chair for about 30 min. yesterday brushing his teeth. so for all you moms wondering what will help, go by a toothbrush.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

what a good idea i think i will get ababy toothbrush and it will get ds used to one in his mouth. i hate using drugs and only rub in calgel on his gums when he is really distressed. i have one of those teething rings you put in the fridge well lol ds will only suck it and not bit so it is useless really

Old 08-06-2006, 05:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Hylands teething tablets were great for ds too! I also wanted to add that they just came out with something called Calm Forte, for kids. It's the same idea as the teething tablets, but it's for restlessness, due to overstimulation, traveling etc. I have found that using this during teething also takes the edge off ds.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:31 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

How much of bach's rescue remedy do you use?

Old 08-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

I know a couple of people who used to swear by the rescue remedy for hangovers, but I seem to recall that it has alcohol in it. It might be worth checking that. I think you just give a couple of drops so I'm sure, even if it does have an alcohol base it wouldn't do any harm.

I love the toothbrush idea. My DD loves chewing on a toothbrush and I bet she'd love a little electric one.

Spanish

Old 08-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Yep. I just googled it and the herbs /flower extracts in rescue remedy are disolved in an alcohol base. I don't know if that makes a difference to anyone but I do think it's worth knowing what you are giving them.

Spanish

Old 08-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Yup, it's in alcohol. What I do is put a few drops on my nipple and let the alcohol evaporate, then let her nurse. I know other mama's who've done the same thing on a pacifier or bottle nipple.

In the midst of another teething FIT I was finding myself getting rather stressed, so I gave myself a few drops. WOW!! I LOVE that stuff. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is! It even kinda tastes like whiskey. LOL. I was actually really surprised when she didn't have a problem with the taste, because I have to dissolve the Hyland's tabs because she spits those out.

Definitely two thumbs up here!

Closed Thread