It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Celestine HB User
Feeding schedules at one year and healthy snacks...

Does anyone have a good feeding schedule/chart for infants about a year old? How much are your babies eating? DS seems to be on a rampage lately. He loves to eat! He gets the min. bottles per day, (3) but he's maxed out on solids and still wants more. I'm thinking one of three things is going on.
1) He's hit a growth spurt.
2) He's tonnes more active and is burning more.
3) He's eating because when he sees others eat, he thinks he should be too

I say the last one because when he sees someone eating, he does a beeline over to them and wants to share. He just started dayhome 3 days a week and I know the kids have 2 snacks and their lunches take longer than ours do between the two of us and I'm wondering if he's just eating because they are. He seems to be eating alot more there than at home. This is what he eats at home.

Breakfast- 1/2 cup cereal with fruit
Snack- Bottle and a few finger foods
Lunch- 2 oz veggies, 2 oz fruit, 2 oz yogurt or cottage cheese
Snack- Bottle and finger food
Dinner- 4.5 oz Meat/veggies, 2 oz fruit
Snack- Bottle

I hate to add another bottle when he's probably getting close to going off bottles soon.

I'm going to at least try to bulk up the finger food times with some steamed veggies. I'd like to keep the snacks healthy and I'm also hoping that since the veggies are harder for him to pick up, that they will keep him busier if it is indeed that he's eating more to mimic as opposed to being hungry. Any suggestions on other healthy finger foods would be appreciated!

Do infants suddenly eat like machines at a year old?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User
Re: Feeding schedules at one year and healthy snacks...

Ds goes through phases where he'll eat like an adult, and then drop out all of a sudden. I'm really not sure about oz....but here is our eating routine.....

Breakfast

pancakes, cereal or waffle, which ever one we have, he'll also have fruit with that.

Snack about 3 hours later, fruit or goldfish or cheerio's

Lunch, usually a yogart, or grilled cheese, and more fruit

Snack aftre his nap, usually something,like the other snack

Dinner, some sort of pasta or chicken with sauce on it ( that's all he is willing to eat with dinner, he's getting SUPER picky!!)

Before bed snack, maybe a cookie or cracker.

Your little one may be going through a growth spurt.......my niece did at one. My rule for ds is...if he's hungry, feed him, he stops when he's full. I don't like the idea of putting him on a food schedule. I have days that I eat more or less too, ya know?

Hope this helps!

Old 08-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

This is my daily battle. Trying to get 800-900 calories into my boy is so hard. He is so active and is tall and lean. I try to find high calorie high fat yet healthy choices.

Breakfast is usually pancakes (I made and froze whole wheat ones today), waffles, french toast (I make). I have tried scrambled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, other hot cereals and he wants no part. He will also not let me feed him so I am limited. So he gets a banana and one of the above.

Snacks- cheese stick, yogurt, PB on anything he will eat, cottage cheese, fruit, whole grain crackers, flavored milk (he also hates milk).

Lunch-grilled cheese, pasta with butter and parmasean cheese(whole wheat), chicken, meat stickes, mac n cheese, Stoffers individual pasta meals, avocado, fruit, veggies.

Dinner-pasta and a meat protien, veggies, stirfry (his favorite), lean hamburger.

My son has always just had whole grain or whole wheat bread or pasta it has tons of protien and calories and I need the bang for the buck. He hates milk and I have had him on vanilla soy and now am mixing it with whole lacto free (he seems lacto intollerant since birth) but I can only get him to take 12-15oz if I am lucky that is why yogurt and cheese are a staple in his diet.

My son also does not like juice but loves fruit so he gets fresh fruit and sometimes frozen or canned fruit.

Best to you, I have ordered some cookbooks for toddlers so I can come up with some ideas. This is driving me crazy.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

This is my daily battle. Trying to get 800-900 calories into my boy is so hard. He is so active and is tall and lean. I try to find high calorie high fat yet healthy choices.

Breakfast is usually pancakes (I made and froze whole wheat ones today), waffles, french toast (I make). I have tried scrambled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, other hot cereals and he wants no part. He will also not let me feed him so I am limited. So he gets a banana and one of the above.

Snacks- cheese stick, yogurt, PB on anything he will eat, cottage cheese, fruit, whole grain crackers, flavored milk (he also hates milk).

Lunch-grilled cheese, pasta with butter and parmasean cheese(whole wheat), chicken, meat stickes, mac n cheese, Stoffers individual pasta meals, avocado, fruit, veggies.

Dinner-pasta and a meat protien, veggies, stirfry (his favorite), lean hamburger.

My son has always just had whole grain or whole wheat bread or pasta it has tons of protien and calories and I need the bang for the buck. He hates milk and I have had him on vanilla soy and now am mixing it with whole lacto free (he seems lacto intollerant since birth) but I can only get him to take 12-15oz if I am lucky that is why yogurt and cheese are a staple in his diet.

My son also does not like juice but loves fruit so he gets fresh fruit and sometimes frozen or canned fruit.

Best to you, I have ordered some cookbooks for toddlers so I can come up with some ideas. This is driving me crazy.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Best to you, I have ordered some cookbooks for toddlers so I can come up with some ideas. This is driving me crazy. Some days they eat like machines and some days they nibble and you think they are going to starve.

Closed Thread