It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
(female)

Noel's girl HB User
figuring out the percintile of babies?

Everyone always ask what percintile my babies are in. Well I asked the nurse and she figured out at about the 95 percintile. I did not want to look stupid and ask her, so what exactly does that mean. But I am not to imbarrased to ask you guys. So what exactly does that mean. How do you figure out what percintile means? Thanks.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
(female)

mrzshorty HB User
Re: figuring out the percintile of babies?

It means that out of a 100 kids, your son is like 95 of them, or other way of thinking is only 5 kids are lower then your kid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

My son is 110th percentile. This means he is off the charts for height and weight. There is an average of 50% (being in the middle) and a low end and a high end. If your child is in the 95th percentile then they are also on the bigger end of the scale. Just so you know the scale is perfectly normal and healthy from one end of the spectrum to the other! My first ds started off in the 90th percentile and now at 2 years of age is in the 50th percentile. Ds#2 is a different story! Right off the charts. This means he is above all the averages that they ever documented for children of his age and gender.
mrzshorty ~ I don't think your understanding of percentiles is correct. The scale goes from 0 to 100. 50 being the average. My Doctor just explained it to me last month.
When in doubt Noel's girl, look it up on the internet! I just did this a few weeks ago to confirm he was indeed off the charts! He is. He is 19lbs and only 16 weeks old! Not even 4 months old yet and has already doubled his weight. He was 10lbs at birth.

Last edited by baby#2; 08-18-2006 at 06:35 PM.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
(female)

JustinsMommy05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzshorty
It means that out of a 100 kids, your son is like 95 of them, or other way of thinking is only 5 kids are lower then your kid.

I believe it's almost the opposite of that.

The 95 percentile would be they are bigger then 95% of kids their age, and 5% are bigger then they are. I believe gender is factored in as well.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzshorty
no it means out of 100 children your baby is near the top end for his age and only 5 will be heavier longer etc than him.

baby#2
i was always told they should double their weight by 3 months, ds did this and is only on the 60th centile now he is 5.5 months and 17 pounds 11.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:57 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

my dr. explained it to me and i've done research on the internet.
50% is average.
if your son is in the 95%. then he 45% bigger than most babies his age.
my 4 year old son is in the 25% on his weight. So he weighs less than 25% of other children his age.
i took my other son who is 13 months to the dr. last week and he is in the 90th % for both weight and height. And the dr. told me that he was 40% taller and heavier than other babies his age.
so it's all based on the 50% mark, comparing your baby to what the average weight and height is for that time.
hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Weepy ~ Never heard of doubling by 3 months? Almost everybody else's babies are doubling by 6. I wonder why the information given is so different from continent to continent?
My one friend has a 6 month old daughter and she has almost doubled her weight. She is almost 17.9 lbs and was 8.13 lbs at birth.
Maybe it's different when you have a premie? Doubt it.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

i think that every baby is different in the rate at which they grow.
my 13 month old son now weighs 23 lbs. he was 7 at birth and had doubled it at about 3 months. same with my oldest son.
i also have friends who's babies have doubled by 3 months and i also have friends who's babies didn't double until they were 7 or 8 months.
i don't think it really matters as long as they are growing and healthy.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby#2
Weepy ~ Never heard of doubling by 3 months? Almost everybody else's babies are doubling by 6. I wonder why the information given is so different from continent to continent?
My one friend has a 6 month old daughter and she has almost doubled her weight. She is almost 17.9 lbs and was 8.13 lbs at birth.
Maybe it's different when you have a premie? Doubt it.
well ds was born at almost 7 pounds i would be a bit concerened if at 6 months he was just under 14 pounds he would be way down on his centiles everyone i know obviously i am in the uk says the same. i suppose it is shocking then considering there are so many obese people in the u.s that you would think that this would be heard more so over there. ds doubled by 3 months and since then his growth slowed down so at 5.5 months he is 17 pounds 11. i think the u.s way of things is so very different to health care over here, i learn a thing or too from you all over the pond even if it is so very different i guess having children here is more relaxed even if personally i can be neurotic lol

Old 08-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Actually Weepy, I am in Canada. Just another reason the things we hear are so different! I am being honest with you, 6 months is the mark where babies should come close to doubling their birth weight. Give or take a few weeks of course! Anything under six months and you are considered to have a baby who is above average in weight. Of course, this is based on babies born at full term. Like I said before, my friends baby was born at 8.13lbs and is now 6 months old and weighs 17.9lbs. That's not quite double at six months, and here is considered the "norm" or average weight gain.
My first doubled his weight by about 4 and 1/2 to 5 months of age and was considered to be in the 90th percentile. Meaning only 10 babies out of 100 were bigger than him. Tanner is in the 110th percentile. He is huge and doubled his weight already at 3 and 1/2 months.
I know your little guy was born early, if you had carried to full term he could have been close to 9 lbs or more. 18lbs at 3 months? That's my little guy and he is HUGE!!!! I don't know, guess it's all relative.
By the way, here in Canada most 6 month clothes fix babies up to 16lbs. 12 months is 20lb. Needless to say my 3 and 1/2 month old son is wearing 12 month old clothing! lol

Last edited by baby#2; 08-20-2006 at 08:00 PM.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

thanks baby. ds was a month early i am sure was he on time he would have been huge lol. he is on the 60th centile for his age now he is also long my mom has been telling me since he was 4 months that he looks 6 lol. he is 17 pounds 11 getting heavy my poor sparrow arms might break soon lol, how people carry older children around is beyond me and my weak arms lol. oh he is just going into 6-9 month clothes and he is 6 months in 3 weeks so it sounds like he is on track for his age. i really never heard of this 6 month thing i will ask round some more here as i say everyone i asked so far said 3 months, but i am doubting my memory now you all say different

Old 08-21-2006, 07:20 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

like i said, both of my children doubled by 3 months, they were both close to 7 lb when they were born, and were 14 and 15 lb. at 3 months.
i think it has alot to do with their weight at birth. it seems if they are smaller (like mine at 7) then they double early, but i haven't really heard of many 10 lb babies that have doubled that soon.
just because the double early or are huge when they are little doesn't mean they will continue to be. my first son weighed 6 lb 13 oz when he was born, then 14 at 3 months, 18 at 12 months and has stayed at 32 for his third and fourth birthday. he grew fast at first and then slowed down.
baby, i can't believe your baby is that big. He must be a great eater.
mine is 13 months and 23 lb., he is a little chunk. he is wearing some 2T which my 4 year old was just wearing last year.
good luck with you babies and just remember every baby is different and that it is still normal.
have a great day.
brandi

Closed Thread