It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
(female)

Dalgi HB User
When will you move baby out of your bedroom?

When are you planning to move your baby out of your bedroom and into their own? Or when did you move him/her?

My DD is 4,5 months now and I'm starting to think about it. At the moment she goes to sleep around 8 pm and wakes up around 1 or 2 am. We nurse in bed, side by side - I LOVE it! Then she falls asleep and stays in bed with us till her next feeding which can be anything from 4 to 6 in the morning. (Sometimes she doesn't keep to these hours at all though...but this is the average.) I don't mind her sleeping in bed with us at all, I find it quite cozy. But I'm worried that she doesn't sleep as well in her crib as she does in our bed. If we keep her in bed with us much longer will she ever be able to sleep well by herself? Will moving her to her own room help at all? I'm not sure...she might just sleep with us anyway. What did you do?

TIA.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User
Re: When will you move baby out of your bedroom?

When she's ready. I'm not forcing her to sleep in her crib. In fact, I'm ditching the crib all together and going with a matress on the floor. She sleeps in bed with us most of the night, but she usually starts off in her room (we're too noisy for her LOL), but I'd rather just nurse her to sleep in a normal bed, then roll over and sneak out. I can't understand the whole crib thing, it's such a pain in the butt to get her to sleep, move her, not wake her, etc. I'd much rather just do it in bed, like we do in our room, but in her room. Does that make sense?

I'll probably put a matress on the floor in our room for this exact same reason. She doesn't always want to be in bed with us, so it's nice to have our options open - either in her room, our room, or our bed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

i am planning on doing it when she seems ready,we love co sleeping and i never thought that we would do that.she is 4months old.she naps in her crib and thats about it, i am planning to get either a toddler bed with the rails or just put her pack and play in our room when she gets ready.right now she just loves to snuggle up to us and i can see that she actually sleeps better when she is in bed with us.i really dont like the idea of my baby all alone in another room,so i am going to put that off until she is older.dont worry i will not be one of those women with a 5 yr old still in my bed!lol! not that there is ne thing wrong with it,just not for me.i think it will be easier for all of us once she weans off the breasts but for now this is the best for all of us,esp me!lol!

Old 08-23-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
(female)

Dalgi HB User

Yeah, you're right. As long as I'm Bfing it would be best to keep her in our room, I think. It just makes sense, convenient and cozy! I'm going to try not to worry too much about her sleeping. And hope that she won't constantly need us close by to sleep soundly.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalgi
And hope that she won't constantly need us close by to sleep soundly.
Hey, I need my husband close by to sleep soundly! Human contact and comfort is normal for our species, and normal in MANY other cultures as well. It is only Western Society that frowns upon mothers and babies sleeping together.

Heck, before I had a baby it was more normal among the people I know to sleep with a dog then your own child!!

It is perfectly normal and natural, and you know, if she's still sleeping with me when she's 5, who cares. It's not going to last forever. There WILL come a day when your "baby" won't want "mommy" anymore.

When we're old and gray we won't look back on these days and think "I wish I spent more time secluding my baby in her crib". Nope. I bet we'll wish we spent more time cuddling with them, holding them, sleeping with them, and just generally "spoiling" them. I'm no rush for these days to end.

Co-sleeping rocks!! Enjoy it while you can. Before you know it they'll be indipendent teenagers who'll think kisses and cuddles are embarassing.

(I say this as Ava is soundly sleeping in her crib. *sigh* I put her down in there while we watched a movie, and she's still asleep. I know as soon as I go to bed she'll be ready to join us. LOL)

I forgot to add also, that according to the department of vital statistics, that less babies die in bed with their parents then they do from sleeping alone in their cribs. Dr. Sears has a lot of info on his website about those statistics if anyone would like to go look. My duaghter has reflux, so this was important to me.

Last edited by debating; 08-24-2006 at 03:51 PM.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

yes, enjoy it while you can.
my first son (now 4) was breastfed until 16 months, so we co-slept until then. then i started putting him in his own bed (still in our room) when he would first go to sleep, then he would end up in the bed with us. then i started putting him back in his bed after he would go back to sleep, eventually, he started sleeping all night @ around 2 in his toddler bed that was in our room. then when he was a little over 2 we found out that we were expecting again, and decided to take the next nine months to get him sleeping in his own room. We went out and bought him an new twin big boy bed. it took one night. He has slept in his own room ever since. even when he is sick, i can't get him to sleep with us.
for those who listen to country music, when i first moved him to his room, they came out with that song, "let them be little" and he says in the song, "let them sleep in the middle". I was pregnant and hormonal and cryed all day and decided to put him back in our bed, but he didn't want to.
North is right, enjoy it, i remember griping about it when it was going on and saying i needed to get him to his bed, but enjoyed every min. of it and wouldn't change a thing. they do grow up too fast, in one year mine will be in kindergarten. Ok, let's not talk about it.
and now with our 13 month old son, i don't know what happen, he always slept with us until 11 months, now he wants to sleep in his own bed. but when i can i take naps with him in our bed, just to get a little extra cuddling. (it's hard to cuddle a little wild child that never slows down)
anyways, enjoy it, they will be in their own bed before you know it.
sorry for this post being so long.
take care and sleep well (with that baby )
brandi

Old 08-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

My DS is 8 weeks old and has been sleeping on his own in his crib since he was about 4 weeks. Before that, we used a cradle that's still in our room. Right at about 4 weeks he started to fuss and squirm around in his cradle---I think it was too small for him. He's not a big baby, but he likes to spread out laying on his tummy---legs and arms completely sprawled out---and I think the cradle wasn't accommodating that. We then switched him to his crib in his own room with zero issues and infact, he sleeps longer now. He takes his last feeding between 10 p.m. and 12 p.m. and he's out until 5 a.m to 7 a.m.---it's been consistent like this since we moved him there. Also, like North mentioned----we are also too loud for him when he's sleeping---so I think he just prefers being in his own room.

I know all babes are different, but this is what is working for us currently.

Last edited by Infinitum; 08-26-2006 at 08:44 AM.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

All power to all who like to co-sleep but it is so not for everyone!!! For me, whenever I do it, I end up dreaming that the baby is gone, fallen off the bed, lost in the sheets, dying, etc. for days afterwards. I need my space in bed and just find it too hard to relax and sleep. I also can not bf in bed...too big of boobs!!!LOL!!!
As for sleeping in our room...both our boys did in a bassinette till they were around 10 weeks and then we put them in their cribs with a baby monitor on even thoug we are only across the hall. My 11 week old nurses at 9:30 pm and falls asleep or goes to sleep as soon as he hits the bed. He sleeps through till 5:30 when we starts talking and uses his soother to settle back to sleep (he used to nurse then but now just falls instantly asleep if he gets the breast). He doesn't get up till around 7:00.
With this lenghty sleep pattern, sleeping in the same room doesn't work either with dh getting up around 3:00am to go to work.
It really is a personal preference but can be a hard habit to break and if you like your privacy with dh then you may need to consider that too.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i moved ds into his room at 8 weeks this helped him sleep through i kept waking him evreytime he moved when i checked on him he is fine in there sleeping well and no problems besides i could not co sleep too paranoid i would crush him or of sids, each to their own on this one i don't use cio and always respond to his cries he is just the other side of the wall in the room next door i sleep with one ear open too.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

DS sometimes will sleep in his own room, when he wants to atleast.. He's only a little over 5 months, but has already started hating being cuddled DH laughs and says "Good, maybe he won't be a momma's boy" I LOVE co sleeping, and try to still as much as possible. I'm an incredably light sleeper, and really have never worried about rolling on him. I wake up at his slightest movement, so I've never felt anything like that to be a problem.

There's just something really special about falling asleep cuddled with your little one.. It's a feeling I can't describe, and like I said before, I LOVE IT!

Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #11
(female)

Dalgi HB User

I'm a big fan of co-sleeping. I wake at every whimper, though. But I don't care so much, all the quiet nights make up for the occasional bad night when she doesn't sleep soundly. I'm just wondering if it would contribute to baby's independence/dependence. I guess she's way to young for me to worry about her being too dependent.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

It took me forever to switch my son over to his own room....at first I had this paranoia that someone was going to break in and steal him, so I had to have him sleeping in the room with me

But he slept in his cradle until about.....7 months?? Alex was always a good sleeper, but for those first few weeks of him waking at 1am, it was nice having him in the same room as me.

Eventually I moved him into his crib, but I still find myself going into his room several times a night to snuggle him, tuck him in and stroke his little cheek. The transition went more smoothly on his end then mine

I agree with north....although I do love to sprawl out at night and have "private" time without DS, my favorite thing to do is to share naptime with my son and snuggle next to him on the floor with a blanket and a pillow. Now that I am working, I miss it so much

I say play ti by ear. You will know when it is time for you and your little one

Old 08-30-2006, 06:41 AM   #13
(female)

RebbieO HB User

I had a similar experience to LexJude. DD slept in a Moses Basket and then her cot in our room until she was 7 months old.

I kept putting off moving her into her own room, but when I did she didn't have any problems at all settling in. In fact, she sleeps better in her own room than she did in ours. I think this was partly due to the fact that we always used the nursery to change and dress her, and there have always been toys in there for her to play with, so she was familiar with the room. She is nearly 1 now and I still have a baby monitor in her room and check her several times at night before I go to bed.

We never co-slept in the early days as I was also worried about rolling on her or suffocating her, but last week when DH and I both had a week off work, we brought her into our bed when she woke in the morning so that we could have a bit of a lie in. She didn't always go straight back to sleep, but when she did it was lovely to snuggle up next to her and go back to sleep for an extra 20 mins or so, even if I did get a dead arm from her lying on it!

Old 08-30-2006, 08:20 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I moved DD from her bassinet in our room into her own crib in her room the day she turned 2 months old. Worked out perfect for all of us...including DD. I felt bad for about 20 minutes...then I saw how we didn't have to whisper & tiptoe around our bedroom anymore. It was amazing.

Last edited by Gayle0000; 08-30-2006 at 08:21 AM.

Closed Thread