It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User
Flu Shots for Infants

I was just wondering if any of you were planning on getting your infant vaccinated?? My dd will be 4 months, and I think that the CDC recommends them to at least be 6 months to get it anyway. She's not in daycare either and I do bf, which I think will be a plus, but I'm sure for the most part, it's still better to vaccinate.

My nephews got it 2 yrs ago when they were 9 months and 11 months and they managed to not get sick. Last yr they didn't get it and they stayed sick all winter:-(

I, myself though, never get it and isn't planning on it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User
Re: Flu Shots for Infants

My son is getting it (they get two shots, one to two months apart) and I think it's extremely good. I couldn't bf and knock on wood is hasn't gotten sick onces. He is 6 months old and my dr just told us we should have him get one. I don't know about the age limit, but from what I've heard newborns up to a certain age should get it. I got it when I was pregnant, but I won't this year. I've never had one as an adult but I think it's important for a baby to get one. Bf or not, it's surely a good idea! It's all up to you though. Talk to your ped about it and get his or her's opinion! Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I do the shots and I believe they are beneficial. They are required for schools in the future....at least some are. With many nre disases and illnesses going around I would rather take the shots than to not take them for my daughter. Our family doctor also have a daughter two months older than ours and he gets his daughter vaccinated.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

NO WAY!! We're not doing any vaccinations while she's an infant, and I certainly would not do the flu vaccine. The flu vaccine has been proven to compromise a developing immune system. I think they can be beneficial in elderly people, or people with auto immune disorders, but there is a HUGE difference in an immune system that does not function like it should, and one that is still developing.

I would rather my daughter get sick then possibly compromise her immune system for life. And in fact, getting sick will make better antibodies then any vaccine could provide. The chances of her dying from a cold are less then her having a negative reaction to the vaccine.

And most pediatricians will use up old vaccines first, which is redundant if you are trying to prevent new strains of influenza. What this means is that if your pediatrician has left over vaccines from LAST YEARS flu vaccine, he might use those first before using THIS YEARS vaccine.

Some pediatricians, however, will throw away old ones and use the new ones. But that usually only happens when their bottom line is not the priority. Before you get a flu vaccine, ask your doctor when it was made, and when the expiration date is. If your doctor is too cheap to throw away old ones and use the new ones, GET A NEW DOCTOR.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:31 PM   #5

Maxx09 HB User

I will be getting all three of my children immunized for flu this year. My baby just got over bronchitis and had to be on a nebulizer taking breathing treatments with albuterol and it was horrible. If I can prevent her from that I will. The flu is serious and it does take lives. That's why they say the very old and the very young are at the biggest risk. It's up to the individual, but I have decided to do so this year.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx09
If I can prevent her from that I will.
I've done that since day 1 by excusuvely breastfeeding and with holding solid foods.

Good luck to you, I hope it all works out.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

DS ped said about a flu vaccine at his age..

Old 09-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I mis-read the thread name.....no my baby has not recieved a flu shot, but other regulary scheduled shots she does recieve.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

When my son turned 6 months I had him get the flu shot....and let me tell you, I don't think I'll ever do it again. My son got sick two days later he had the flu. Then he gave it to me, and it was even worse....I was so sick it wasn't funny, and imagune taking care of a sis month old who is sick while being sick as a dog yourself. NOT FUN. I believe that my doc gave him the live version of the flu--it was aweful.

And let me tell you, my son had gotten sick before and it was never bad. In fact anytime the household would have a cold, he would always have the mild version of it. And he rarely gets sick.

Plus the flu shot only prevents one or two strains of the flu--the flu itself is constantly morphing and changing and adapting. The flu is different from other diseases in that it can change--and quick. Some studies suggest that each year the flu gets stronger and worse because of the vaccines.

Now don't get me wrong, I agree with north on this one--the flu shot is meant for the elderly and those who have little to no immune system. But babies, breastfed or not, have incredible immune systems....natue made them that way, or how else would a baby even survive? Do you realize what goes into my sons mouth sometimes???? LOL. Just try to keep you baby away from people who are sick, wash your hands often and make sure they are well fed and happy, and it is very unlikely your baby will get the flu

But seriously, I think flu shots are good in theory, but I WILL NOT be getting one for my son.

Last edited by lex jude; 09-15-2006 at 11:10 AM.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

Thanks for all of the replies moms. I have to admit, I've never gotten the shot myself, since my immunities are really good, and I am a little afraid of what might actually be in it. I used to work with someone who got it and ended up with a bad strain of flu a few days later. For the most part, dd will only be around us so I think she'll be ok. I will ask her doc though later this month at her appt and see what she suggests, but I probably won't end up getting her one.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Some of you put my thoughts into words so well...the flu is common and something we all dealt with growing up.
I work in education and go the shot once. It was AWFUL. First of all I had a reaction at the site to the shot and had a swollen sore arm with a huge red area for well over month. Then I got the flu 3 times that winter and everytime it lasted twice the length of time it would normally. Usually I get it and get over it.
My older son (now 3) did get all his regular vaccines and after he was a year he also got varifax (for chickenpox....took me a lot to do this one though) and the meningitis shots. I have never gotten him the flu shot, he is in a daycare and he's never had a problem with the flu.
It is a peronal choice but be sure you know what is going into your child.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #12
(female)

Guinness6 HB User

My advice is to never give or do anything to your baby that you wouldn't do or take yourself. Why? Because their immune system is still developing and that is why sometimes young ones have adverse reactions to vaccinations.
Did you know that in Japan they don't vaccinate until babies are 3? That is because they know that the immune system is quite a bit stronger by then, and you will know if the child actually has any food allergies, which may also cause an adverse reaction from vaccinations.
We haven't vaccinated ours, yet, and aren't sure if we ever will. Empower yourself and google "childhood immunizations" and the Vaccination Liberation. A good decision is an informed decision, whatever it is!

Old 09-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #13
(female)

j baby HB User

I woulden't do it. I don't have a problem with vaccines, but I don't like the idea of the flu shot. I have never had a flu shot, and I have never had the flu. Also, I know a couple people that got the flu shot and then got the flu a few days later!! If your taking a chance on your baby getting the flu from the vaccine, might as well take a chance on him getting the flu without it.

Closed Thread