It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Shanz4 HB User
We found a miracle (non-CIO) solution to our sleeping problem!!!

My DD is almost 6 months old and we have been having significant sleeping issues. (Much like many of the recent posts here) She would need a bottle to get to sleep and we let her fall asleep on the couch next to me. DH would carry her to the crib. In 3-4 hrs she would wake up, crying and I would co-sleep with her the rest of the night. She kept waking up every 1-2 hours until 7am. Needless to say I'm exhausted and I work part-time and need to be up some days.

ANYWAY...I found the book the Baby Whisperer and it has been a miracle. Not easy, but it works. AND, it is firmly against any crying alone for any reason. (I was desperate and tried this once....never again. Her screams were terrified and I felt like I was breaking the trust she has placed in me)

To give all the details would take forever, but I highly recommend this book. Her techniques make sense.
-Learning to go to and stay asleep is a learned skill like anything else. It takes patience and practice
-Providing sleep "crutches" makes it harder for the baby to learn to do this herself. (We were guilty of several...feeding to sleep, rocking to sleep,)
-The basic method is called pick-up/put-down PU/PD. We put her in the crib, kiss goodnight, tell her she can do it and walk away. When she cries, we try to shush and pat technique. If she still cries, you pick her up. The instant she quiets...back down. This can go on for a long time. (Her book says be prepared for 20 minutes average to hours) It shows her we are there, we have not abandoned her, but she has to put herself to sleep.
-Adding her favorite stuffed frog as a comfort object has worked wonders.
-Maintaining a nightly ritual of bath, bottle, bed and a much earlier bedtime of 7:30pm. (I had no idea!!)

It is like we have a new baby She seems to crave and thrive on the schedule, which is flexible to her needs. There is NO daytime fussing, she is playing independently for 15-20 minutes and is a cheerful, happy baby.

What a relief.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User
Re: We found a miracle (non-CIO) solution to our sleeping problem!!!

That's awesome. Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to try that going to sleep earlier one. My dd is 4 months and I put her to bed at 11.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

Does it suggest at what age you should start these techniques? DD is only a month old but last night was aweful.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
(female)

lesleykev HB User

shanz u are a star will def try your schedule sounds graet to get your baby to sleep in their cot
ty so much really was about to give up but you have given me the will to keep trying ty

Old 10-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Shanz4 HB User

The book breaks it down to 0-4 months, 4-6, 6-12.

Before 4 months, the main difference is...the pick-up/put down part might be too disruptive. I think she suggests more of the shush/pat method and swaddling is key at this age too. And, the EASY schedule is 3 hours, not 4.

From birth, you can start a routine. The book stresses this is a routine, not a schedule. She uses the acronym, E.A.S.Y (Eat, Activity, Sleep, Your time) We're using the following guidline. **Please know she is 6 months old and this is different for younger babies, preemies, sick etc...there are exceptions!

7:00 Wake and feed bottle right away (E)
7:30 Play, Errands (we go get Starbucks!!) (A) (I give her a solid food now)

9:00 Nap #1: goal is 1.5-2.0 hours (S) **It's not like I lay her down and boom she's asleep. This takes an average of 20 min when you're changing the way she goes to sleep. The book states in some cases, it can take hours of the PU/PD method to achieve sleep. But, remember she is learning. It's like a week of hell for a lifetime of good sleep habits.

This is (Y)our time to do whatever!!!

11:00 Wake and feed
11:30 Activity (I try to devote this block of time to her. ie. tummy time, walks, toys,)
1:00 Nap #2: goal is 2 hours
3:00 Wake and feed
5:00 Catnap if needed 45 min MAX
7:00 Bath, Bottle relax time
7:30 Bedtime (knowing it taked 20-30 min for her to settle)
11:00PM Dream Feed: You're supposed to feed as she's still in a light sleep. This gets her through until 7:00am

Trust me, I'm really not a "schedule" type of person. I like to see where life takes us and go with the flow. But, that's ME! A child needs and craves predictability. The change in her is noticeable and wonderful. But, when something changes the routine, or she has a growth spurt or whatever...we can be flexible.
The major adjustment for her has been eating first and learning how to sleep without a feed. So, far it has been a miracle. I can't believe no one told me about this. I would have done things differently.

PS Loathe...I did the same thing with 11:00pm bed thinking she would sleep later. I cannot believe the difference of the earlier bedtime.

Last edited by Shanz4; 10-02-2006 at 03:08 PM.

Closed Thread