It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User
3 1/2 Month Old Aspiration/Choking! Help!

Ladies!!!

I'm desperate need of some help and advice!!! My 3 1/2 month old has some serious issues with aspiration/choking on his milk and saliva.

First issue: DS has a bad stuffy nose and I always clean his nose out at least 2 times a day with the bulb and saline drops----WORKS wonders. However, he hates me doing this and he screams at the top of his lungs when I'm doing it and several times he has screamed so hard he aspirates his own saliva and starts choking----and he stops breathing for like 5 seconds!!! Scares the heck out of me everytime and I have to do the infant CPR techniques. I basically quickly flip him onto his belly on my forearm and smack the heck out of his little back with the base of my hand/palm about 2-3 times and BAM he's breathing again and starts crying for a bit. What can I do to alleviate this?!?!?!? This happens WAY to often---at least 2-3 times a week.

Second Issue:

When he's sucking on his bottle----he's VERY aggresive---no matter the flow of milk. He sucks more than he can handle and tries to maintain his breathing----and sometimes aspirates his milk and AGAIN I have to do the same CPR techniques---this happens WAY too often too.

For the first issue---should I get a humidifier? Will this help draw the mucous out without having to bother my little one with the bulb and saline everytime?

Second Issue: I'm at a loss. I feed him upright or at least at a 45 degree angle EVERY time. I'm scared when he rolls onto his back as I'm afraid he will aspirate and choke on his saliva when he's sleeping. I'm always waking up now to make sure he's on his belly at all times when sleeping.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
(male)

Josh Mann HB User
Re: 3 1/2 Month Old Aspiration/Choking! Help!

Hi Infinitum

I'm not a ladie but,

With our DD we had a very similar (although not as drematic) circumstances.

We tried every cold / blocked nose remidy going new and old to no use. We eventually came to the end of our ropes and said we had to try something else as the amount of saliva that was coming out of her mouth was not normal.

We had her adnoids & tonsils removed to help free up some space as the doc's thought that was the issue

We thought we would try non-dairy substitute for her milk, yougut etc. This has workd wonders

Who would of thought that all of the blocked stuffy noses where a reaction to Lactose or cows milk.

Now we have to be very diligent wherever she goes to assure she is not getting given cows milk, as you can tell straight away the next day.

We also tried to have DD sitting up (not far just not flat) and that seemed to help. But what you might want to consider is getting a thickener for the milk to stop the youngster from knocking down to quick.

Hope some of this helps as I know what (or some of what) you are going through

Take Care & best of luck.

Josh

Old 10-20-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
(female)

meganoglesby HB User

I'd call your pediatrician immediately.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

Have you talked to your dr about this yet? If not, I would recommend doing so asap. This sounds pretty scary, having to do CPR on him. Hopefully the dr can give you some idea's as to why it's happening, and ways to help it. I just can't imagine how scared you must be during that time! As far as the stuffy nose thing, my DS from day one seemed to be stuffy all the time. We thought maybe he was allergic to our cat, but he wasn't. Our ped told us to do the same thing you are with the saline and syringe, and he screamed and screamed when we did it too, he hated it! But it did help, and after a while, he just grew out of it, which is what our dr said would probably happen. She did also say a humidifier would help, we never ended up with one, but you may want to give it a try, can't hurt. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
(female)

qteepie2005 HB User

Your baby sounds to have reflux .My 6 week old does the same thing.Scares the crap out of me and me husband.Doctor put her on different milk and has given her meds.The new milk is thicker and makes it stay down since it expands in her stomach.try keeping her up-right for thirty minutes .lay her on her tummy against your tummy up right.It will give you bonding time and help keep milk down to be digested.I never lay her on her back on her side is good.Buy a wedge to put her in between .It doesn't allow the baby to roll.I would talk to doctor before letting her sleep on stomach.At 3 months I would still be afraid of sids.But if doctor says its okay then go for it.Buy try on the side with the wedge,it allows the milk to drain out of mouth.

Closed Thread