It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2006, 06:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Sleeping Question for anyone who sleeps with their baby...

North,
Your responses usually intrigue me and I like your insight. I was wondering what you would do in my situation.

I have a 7 month old daughter whom I still sleep with on the couch. She is either in my arms while we lay down on our sides or I sleep sitting up and she is cradled in my arms. Since she was 5 months old she began to find her hands and explore my face which quickly turned into slapping a sratching me, especially when she is trying to fall asleep and she is fighting it or when she is beginning to wake in the middle of the night.

I don't mind sleeping with her, but I can no longer stand the slapping and scratching of my neck and face. For example she did it for nearly two hours last night, until I lost my patience and I put her in her exersaucer. I was mad and then I just got up to clean at 2am. This is what it has become nearly most nights.

Anyone elses baby do this? I can't take it anymore.....if this is a stage baby's go through then I wouldn't hesitate getting my tubes tied asap because I am not exaggerating, it hurts!

Old 11-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User
Re: Sleeping Question for North of 60 or anyone who sleeps with their baby...

Hi
I wish I had some great cure for you but I wanted to tell you that you're not alone. My DS does this when I nurse him, he picks, pulls, and scratches so hard. I can't beleive how bad it is. This week I have the flu and you know how sensitive your body is to touch when you have bad body aches? Well ds was just as aggressive as ever and I thought I was going to die! He is 10 months and it has gone on for awhile. Itry to gently tell him no and move his hand but then it ends up a game...Good luck I'm with you on this!

Last edited by sweetea13; 11-03-2006 at 10:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Boy do I feel your pain!! DD has gotten into this slapping thing, and it hurts!! I know she's not being mean, it's just a new sensory experience for her, she does it to everything around the house.

Before this though, when she was learning to sit unassisted (at 5 months old, same as your daughter) she would try SO HARD to sit up, roll over, crawl, climb up my chest, stick her fingers in my nose, etc. It's just an age/developmental thing and is totally normal, however infuriating it is!

She's so busy during the day doing her new skills (like crawling, and sitting up, etc) that bed time is a mommy-daughter play time that she normally wouldn't do during the day. I've found the best way to combat this is to have several quiet times with little distraction, especially during feeding time (although I think you formula feed, right? you may not need to do this, I have no idea how that works).

And the single bestest (I know, its not a word) thing I do now is swaddle her. Yes, my almost 8 month old is still swaddled. I don't care. She went unswaddled from about a month and a half to 5 months old, however, just like you, it took me HOURS to get her to settle down otherwise because she just.. would.. not.. stay.. still!!

Everyone kept suggesting it and I blew it off because we hadn't done it so long, she hated it when I did do it, yadda yadda yadda. Finally in the middle of the night after about the 67th time she stuck her finger up my nose I found the biggest, stretchiest receiving blanket I had and I wrapped her as tight as I could. She was out in about 5 minutes!!

Now it's part of every bedtime and naptime "routine". When she's asleep I unwrap the top of it so she can move her arms and roll over, and that way she ends up laying on top of her blanket. She's fine once she's already asleep, it's getting her to settle down long enough to actually fall asleep.

I'll swaddle her 'till she's 10 if it will stop her from scratching the inside of my nose with her finger nails! LOL.

Even if your daughter hasn't been swaddled in a while, and even if she didn't like it, I would really suggest you try it. Even if she sort of puts up a fuss getting it on, give it a try. As soon as I get the blanket wrapped up and pick her up, I can see her eyelids getting heavy. She just needs the help calming down enough from being so stimulated with all her new skills.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetea13
Hi
I wish I had some great cure for you but I wanted to tell you that you're not alone. My DS does this when I nurse him, he picks, pulls, and scratches so hard. I can't beleive how bad it is. This week I have the flu and you know how sensitive your body is to touch when you have bad body aches? Well ds was just as aggressive as ever and I thought I was going to die! He is 10 months and it has gone on for awhile. Itry to gently tell him no and move his hand but then it ends up a game...Good luck I'm with you on this!
Have you ever heard of a nursing necklace? BEST INVENTION EVER. You can make one, or you can buy one online (I'm sure you could find one in a search). It's just a necklace you wear around your neck that the baby can reach and play with while they nurse. It saves your skin big time!

I went to our local TJ Max and got a really ugly old lady necklace made out of big gawdy wooden beads. She loves it. It keeps her occupied, and she doesn't try to pull the skin off my boobs.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

Great Idea, I need to get me one of those necklaces!

Old 11-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I still sleep with my son on occasion (he doesn't have to fall asleep with me anymore ) and he does the same. I found a pair of mitts that someone gave me for him when he first came home from the hospital. I popped those on him and no more scratching. His nails are very short, yet it's still quite painful when he scratches! He's also hitting and the mitts do "muffle" it in a way.

I want to add, the mitts he has has a sort of drawstring around the wrist so they stay on. I had tried socks but he just pulled them off somehow.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User
Re: Sleeping Question for anyone who sleeps with their baby...

I swaddled DS for almost his whole first year. I bought a special swaddle blanket and he was out growing it but we stretched that thing out. It really helped him lay still relax and go to sleep. Without it he was all over and doing everything with his hands. One of his favroties is using his nail to pick at the sensitive skin around your nail. Drives me nuts and it hurts. Now he still tries to stick his finger in every place our face but he is old enough finally (16 months) to understand no.

Closed Thread