It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Question When does baby start Stage 2 foods and juice?

When does baby start Stage 2 foods and juice?

Old 11-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
(female)

JustinsMommy05 HB User
Re: When does baby start Stage 2 foods and juice?

We got the ok to start trying stage 2 at ds 6 month wbv. He's 16 months old now and I still don't give him juice. I don't plan on giving him juice any time soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

Started stage 2 at 6 months old. Now he is 9 months old and we are starting to dip into stage 3's, he is eating more and has teeth, so he is wanting to chew and the stage 3 is chunkier. Rarely do I give him juice, usually only when he is bound up and then it is only a small enough amount to stimulate a BM. I will also give him some juice or pedialyte when he is sick and just wanting some extra fluid. He usually doesn't eat solids well when he is sick, so I replace the calories with juice. Juice (IMO) is empty calories, can lead to childhood obesity (which is a past problem with both of us), can disrupt the development of healthy teeth due to the sugar content, and gets the baby used to sweets. I am trying really hard to instill good eating habits early, I do not want him to struggle with obesity if we can possibly help it.

Amy

Old 11-06-2006, 04:58 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

crunchymamma HB User

I make all of ds food, so his has always been chunkier, but at his 6 month appointment she told us to go to stage 2 foods and start getting him interested in chunkier foods! I started to grind him some foor at that point.

As far as juice, I think you can start that as well at 6 months..I don't plan on doing juice until I can juice it myself and give it unpasterized, so I have to wait, but for like Juicy Juice, i am sure it is 6 months!

Old 11-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

What are stage foods (I don't spoon feed DD)?

Old 11-06-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

Stage I is very pureed, thin, beginner foods. Primarily single content - IE: peaches, bananas, applesauce, etc.

Stage II is thicker, sometimes with a combination of ingredients - IE: Strawberry with banana, and some beginner meals.

Stage III is chunkier with bits of fruits, veggies, and small very well cooked pasta. Bigger variety of choices

With each stage, the amount increases as well. Stage I is about 1 1/2 to 2 ounces. Stage II is 2 - 3 ounces. Stage III is about 4 ounces.

I wish that I had the time to make my own baby food. I do make some things myself and give him a choice of what to eat. He is chewing on toast and smushing bananas and eating them. He is 9 months old.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

crunchymamma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_60
What are stage foods (I don't spoon feed DD)?
For those who feed jar foods, it is the "consistancy" of the foods...first purees are "stage 1"..gets thicker with "stage 2"..and so on...

Old 11-06-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

So how does one "get the OK" to start a different stage? Do you take the baby to the pediatriciand and feed them so the doctor can see how they eat?

(Sorry if this sounds so ignorant, I honestly don't understand. DD eats what she wants and what's capable of, not in stages. I guess by those stages she would be a three - she eats whole finger foods. It never dawned on me to ask permission from the ped.)

Old 11-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

crunchymamma HB User

I am guessing they use a "time line" for infants..a feeding schedule. my PED knows that I make all ds food, and his food has always been very chunky...not a smooth puree and he has done fine with it.

I have seen the jars and they have ages on them..maybe that is what they go by?

Old 11-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

I really haven't gone by my pediatrician since given the okay to feed solids at 4 months. I use my son as a guide. I started with the basics, and when he was 6 months old and was wanting more solids and didn't have any signs of allergy to anything I had given him so far, I started with the next stage. I did the same thing going to stage 3. He was eating more and then when he broke his teeth and started wanting to chew, I decided to introduce stage 3. I still give him some stage 2 things. He is still getting used to the idea of chewing food.

Amy

Old 11-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

well if ds has a jar food he has stage 2 basically finelly chopped foods. but mainly he has weetabix or readybrek (porridge) for breakfast and feeds himself toast (well he sucks on it) he also has baby yoghurts but can feed himself veggies pasta and chicken using his fingers and other finger foods. i think i am quite brave in taking his lead with eating i just supervise him and he has not choked on anything.sam is 8 months tomorrow

Closed Thread