It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Exclamation Why won't she sleep? Why does she thrash around wildly in her sleep?

I am going insane. I am up every hour of the entire night and I am waken anywhere from 1-3 times each hour. My 7 month old now thrashes around and flips and turns and slaps and scratches and if I try to swaddle or restrain her in any way it just gets worse or she will wake up. THEN, when she is up, she stays up for HOURS in the early AM.

First of all I have to say anyone who wants more than one kid is crazy. How do people deal with this? Why would people want any more than one when you are sleep deprived, contantly disturbed throughout the night, etc, etc. I am also a stay at home Mom and have nowhere to be and it still doesn't make a difference because I still have other things to do during the day and the baby doesn't always nap for long periods od time. Sometimes it will only be an hour or so in the morning and by the time I sit down with her and relax she is waking up again. (It is 5:30AM and I have been up since 3:30AM) so I am pretty upset at this particular moment. All I can think about is a tubal ligation.

I have just lost all confidence in myself and my "good" baby. I don't want to follow some stupid books advice because that stuff doesn't work......she doesn't want to sleep by herself. The moment I lay her down she instantly jolts awake, even if I "wait for the right time" as they say in some books.

The biggest thing is the confidence, I don't have it any anymore, and I have lost it in her. Three nights in a row with this "violent" thrashing around. Like I said, if I swaddle her it gets worse or she will just wake up altogether. Now I am going to feel bad and restless as this evening aproaches because I am already expecting the same thing again.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Arrow Re: Why won't she sleep? Why does she thrash around wildly in her sleep?

Now that I got some sleep, I feel better.

I don't understand the trashing around at night. By thrashing I mean she arches her back while kicking and swinging her arms around all at the same time. My question is, is this a phase, teething problem, etc? So only does this at night when she sleeps and not during her naps. SO has also only been like this 3 nights in a row. Because of this, it brings me to a confidence issue. I feel terrible that she does this to the point I can't soothe her or understand why. The lack of sleep this brings also is a bummer too. I feel down and out already because I am assuming she will be the same way again tonight. I am going to try today, to look at this differently and prepare myself for it mentally. I think that is the best thing to do. (I am venting, thanks.)

Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
(female)

hobobump HB User
Re: Why won't she sleep? Why does she thrash around wildly in her sleep?

my niece was like this but much worse then we found she was allergic to all colourings even some natural. take her off all colourings and see how it goes. it may take a couple of days but i think it may work.

keep me posted

georgie

Old 11-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #4
(female)

hobobump HB User

this includes dilutable sqaush and red cheese is another one.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

I know you said you don't want to follow some "stupid" book's advice, but I would encourage you to check out "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weisbluthh. My son's only seven weeks old, but this book has helped us tremendously already...within days of me trying just a couple of things, my son was sleeping for seven hour stretches at night, where he previously would only go for three at the most, and he put HIMSELF on something of a bedtime-wake up-first morning nap schedule. My baby is MUCH happier now that he's getting the sleep he needs, when he needs it.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

(((HUGS)))

I so feel for you, I really do. We're having sleep issues here too, but I've pretty much pinned it to teething (her uppers, she already has two bottom teeth). It sucks. She will NOT let me put her down, not at all. Not for a second. She sleeps all night with my nipple in her mouth, and wakes up the minute I roll out of bed to pee.

This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass.

I also want to add that Wiesbluth is among the authors who I will NOT endorse (Ezzo and Ferber being another major two). He endorses the "extinction method" in which you shut the door and walk away. Letting a baby cry for as long as needed is apparently Ok, and there is no age in which he believes sleep training should start, which is ridiculous to me.

It does have some interesting information on sleep though, so if you read it JUST for that information you can block out the other negative stuff, but I would not pay money for any book that endorses any form of CIO, which Wiesbluth does.

Having said that, I do believe babies wake for a reason, and since they cannot communicate that reason, I think it's our job to find out why they are waking and help them re-settle.

I would rule out food sensitivities. Have you started solids? I would back off on the solids for a few days and see if that helps. How often is she pooping? Ava has become a once-a-weeker, and on the 5th or so day she starts getting miserable. I have now made it my life's mission to get her to poop more regularly.

What kind of solids are you feeding? Jarred? I would go to organic homemade food for a while. You NEVER know what could be in those jars. And like another posted mentioned, I would cut out ALL artificial products (except of course formula because if I remember correctly you are not breastfeeding, right?). Anything like a Gerber Puff I would cut out. Try only whole organic foods. I would also stop all grains if you are feeding them. They are REALLY hard on their digestive tract, and it's not uncommon for infants to sleep worse on them because they end up with tummy troubles at night.

Have you tried swaddling her before she falls asleep? Ava puts up a minor fight as I'm wrapping her up, but it's short lived and is usually asleep minutes later. If I try to swaddle her after she falls asleep I end up waking her up an it makes it much more difficult.

And another thing.. if nothing else works, just remember that as they get more active and learn new things (crawling, sitting up, walking, talking, etc) that they can become more and more restless at night, and it is TOTALLY normal. They are learning and growing at such a rapid pace right now that becoming relaxed enough to get good sleep can be really tough. When Ava first said "mama" she was awake 2 nights in a row just talking. I swear, all night long she kept going "mama, mama, mama, mama, mamama, mamamama". She would not shut up! LOL And same thing when she learned to sit up on her own. Now she does that IN HER SLEEP. She pushes up and is then sitting up half asleep and needs my help to lay down again.

I always find that when she's about to do something new the sleep gets interrupted, and now that's she standing up I think our latest sleep problems are a combination of teething and her desire to walk. She tries SO hard but just hasn't got the co-ordination.. it must be all consuming to want something so bad but be unable to do it. I think I would probably loose sleep over it too.

Last edited by debating; 11-10-2006 at 08:44 AM.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

I would really wonder if it is teething. My ds does this at night and not during the day when he is getting a new tooth. I am not one to just medicate a child for no reason but maybe you could try to give her a dose of motrin before bed?? I know we have been going through this right now and one night I gave him motrin and he was much more relaxed. I hate depending on meds but once in awhile I have to think about if I were not feeling good and sick how would I sleep? Maybe you could try it, GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

I agree with Sweetea. I would try Motrin or Tylenol. It sounds like she is uncomfortable. If it keeps up, I would call your doctor just to make sure every thing is ok.

-Jen

(ps - A modified Cry it Out worked really well for us.)

Old 11-11-2006, 05:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

My ds is doing the same thing right now. When falling asleep he slaps and will thrash himself around to fight falling asleep. It's a phase according to my sister (my niece is 9 months and did the same thing for a short time at 7 1/2 to 8 months old). I'm looking forward to the end of it. I'm tired and would like some sleep. We are also up at all hours of the morning and he's going to bed late (like 11ish). He was on a bedtime around 730-8 and sleeping through the night but it changed once he got his teeth.

Just like north said.
This to shall pass.

Just like everything else!

Good luck and heres to no sleep! I feel you completely!

Old 11-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

orange i feel for you. When you say thrashing i get the picture she is in pain maybe it is those pesky teeth. have you tried infant paracetamol? i am sure you probably have. I don't endorse the idea of cio but if she is driving you to distraction it is wise to walk away for a few moments take a deep breath and then go back. it will pass she can't go on like this forever. hoping you both get some good sleep soon

Old 11-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

I feel for you orange I am going threw the same thing I even stuck my DD in my bed and it still doesnt help she doesnt attempt to fall asleep until 3:30 am atleast then Im up every hour giving her a bottle where she takes a little just to go to sleep by the time I fall asleep she is back up.. Im a stay at home mom to but I cant get nothing done during the day I dread night time because I know what is coming for me and her naps only last about 15 min at a time and she takes about two during the day if I sit holding her or right by her on the couch.. Everyone said it will get better but I dont see it anytime soon in my future I feel like Im completly burned out Im with you only one baby for me..

Closed Thread