It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
(female)

ShanaLeigh HB User
Flu shot? side effects?

Just wondering if anyones baby had any side effects from their flu shots? My ds is having his tomorrow (he just turned 6 months) and we are going out-of-town for Thanksgiving. The ped. said we can't wait because he is almost out of the vaccines already. It will be ds first road trip, and I want to know what to expect. I know they say it is a "dead virus" so people shouldn't get sick...but just looking for some first hand experience with it!
Thanks so much!

Old 11-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User
Re: Flu shot? side effects?

My ds had his and he had no side effects, the nurse said that he may run a fever for the first 24 hours just like some babies do during normal shots. My ds had no fever and acted like nothing ever happened. I got the flu the evening after my son got his shot and he was fine. Thankfully he stayed healthy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
(female)

ShanaLeigh HB User

Thanks so much! Glad your little one didn't get sick

Last edited by ShanaLeigh; 11-20-2006 at 09:55 PM.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

The flu vaccine is dangerous in people with healthy imune systems. I don't get it, and my child won't be getting it either.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I always give DS tylenol just in case right before his shot and right before bed, just in case. He's never had any problems.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

The shot of the flu immunization is a "dead" virus. The purpose of it is to expose the child to a mild "dead" strain of the virus to boost immunity. However, the inhaled immunization should never be given to children, pregnant women, or anyone with a compromised immune system. My child, who by the way has a mildly compromised immune system gets the flu vaccine and did perfectly fine with it. Got it in 2 shots. About 4 weeks apart. We premedicated him with Tylenol and he did fine. He is used to shots, he gets his regular immunization, along with the flu shot and a monthly synagis for RSV since he was preemie. Unless your child has an allergy to chicken or eggs (which is what the vaccine is partially made of), they should be fine. Of course, to each their own, we should all do what we think is best for "our" own child. Good luck.

Amy

Old 11-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

I agree, even the CDC recommends that all children over 6 months of age get one. The flu itself is more dangerous if an infant gets it than a shot. I don't think the CDC would mislead us....

Old 11-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

There are 2 families in my community that lost their children to the flu last year, and they were perfectly healthy kids. They did not get the vaccine. I can't think of a reason to not get it, if you can get it of course.
But to answer your question, ds had no reaction both times when he got the shot, and he also got 2 others that day.

Last edited by dizzygirl; 11-21-2006 at 12:01 PM.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetea13
I agree, even the CDC recommends that all children over 6 months of age get one. The flu itself is more dangerous if an infant gets it than a shot. I don't think the CDC would mislead us....
Actually, if you read through the CDC and the FDA you can find the statistics yourself. They basically show that there is a greater risk of vaccinosis then actually getting sick or dying without the vaccine.

And, I would not be so quick to trust the CDC or FDA. They both participate in corrupt practices, especially where vaccines are concerned. They have been known to push old vaccines to save my money, which means that a lot of doctors are forced to use old stock without telling their patients. Before you run out and get the vaccine, at least make sure it's a current vaccine and not from last season.

I would also research both organizations before blindly trusting them.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

Do you really think that the CDC is out to harm you??? And I know they are new vaccines because they ran out last year before everyone got them. And I have done the research, I research everything. The question was what are the side effects, not should I get it...

Old 11-21-2006, 12:10 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

Do you really think that the CDC is out to harm you??? And I know they are new vaccines because they ran out last year before everyone got them. And I have done the research, I research everything. The question was what are the side effects, not should I get it...

Old 11-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetea13
The question was what are the side effects
Anything under the sun - blindness, allergies, injection site infection, botulism, muscle tremors/seizers, high fever and brain damage... to name a few.

And all this is on their website, available to the public.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I was against the flu vaccine until I saw that the AAP (CISP) recomends that children over 6 months of age get it. If you do decide on the vaccine, ask for the thimerosol (mercury) free shot. They didn't have any in my dr's office so his shot got pushed a week back. My friend (his nurse) said that I was the first one to ask about the shot without the thimerosol! I couldn't beleive that...

Old 11-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
(female)

ShanaLeigh HB User

Thanks ladies! He had his shot Tuesday, and did great! I am so glad we had it done. I feel better knowing we did what we could to protect him. He had no side effects from it. Teething however is another story LOL! His first tooth should come anytime now.....

Closed Thread