It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
rubbing head

My 4 month old granddaughter has started rubbing her head whenever she lying down or is being held when she takes her bottle. She will move her head back and forth, and take her hands and rub them on the sides of her head. If she is sitting up or standing in her jumpy chair she doesn't seem to do it so much. She is rubbing off all the hair on the sides of her head and scratches her scalp when she really gets to rubbing hard. She isn't fussy or showing any signs of any other illness that we can tell. Her babysitter wondered if she is in pain and this is the only way she has of showing it. She has eczema and her scalp has been dry and flakey since birth, but it is greatly improved in the last month but her rubbing is getting worse. Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
(male)

Josh Mann HB User
Re: rubbing head

Hi there,

You should most likely (if you already haven't) you should see you GP and get some cream loation as the dry skin is most likely causing her some destress and is scratching just like you and I would.

Our DD got the big patch missing on the back of her head and it's from laying on pillows or the floor.

The other thing is she might be allergic to something on or in your carpet, causing irratation and therefore making her scratch or rub at it??

Best of luck

Josh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User
Re: rubbing head

Rubbing the head is a coping mechanism, a comfort measure.

My son does it all the time, it soothes him.

As far as scratching, unless she is leaving tragic marks on her head, I wouldn't worry, she probably likes the neat new feeling.

It will probably bother you more than it will your granddaughter. Don't worry, hair grows back, I should know. My son had his head shaved (in the hospital) 3 times before he even came home for good. Now he has a head full of hair.

Amy

Closed Thread