It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Angry When will she STOP SCRATCHING me?! Does your baby do this too?

My daughter began scratching my neck, chest and face at 5 months. She is now 9.5 months and whenever I hold her when she is tired she continually scratches my face. I don't mean to sound like a baby, but NO ONE ELSE UNDERSTANDS, because I am the one caring for her and she does it to me. Other people think it is cute, but it TRUELY HURTS. My neck is beat red and raw nightly and I can't make her stop. I have stuffed lovies, blankets, in that area and she gets frusterated because she knows the difference. I cut her nails, I have done everything. Basically I want to know that maybe I am not alone, and when she will stop.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 AM   #2
(female)

Escgirl HB User
Re: When will she STOP SCRATCHING me?! Does your baby do this too?

Hi orange. It's Friday!!! I had to sign up with another user name because I was having trouble getting on after being absent for a long time. I totally understand how frustrating it can be. My daughter doesn't do that to the extreme tho.

You are not having anymore children right? I think I remember that from another post (it seems like years ago). I love being a mom - don't get me wrong here - but I had such a busy life and career before - its very hard to go from that (social life) stuff and showering everyday - to one of food all over you - drool and it seems at times consistant consoling of a baby.... happy happy face for baby - and sometimes tears for mommy when baby lays down..... hee hee! I love my baby girl so very much but boy - is this job hard when you do it right! : ) my husband "would like" another baby - and I feel so selfish at times for saying (no). He doesn't care for her only about 3 days a week for 1.5 hours tops... and weekends he helps. He travels for business etc. and I have zero family and friends where we moved. I just feel like it would be too much having another.

You are being a great mommy and this is what the boards are here for - to vent away vent away - as an outlet!!! do you ever feel edgy when your baby is upset and cranky say..... in a car seat and you are just trying to get home or somewhere?????? so then you CAN help her? oh goodness I get so stressed about that - and I think - no way I don't want another one...... what would I do with two cranky babies and driving??? any advice here for a new mom of one???? how do I relax and go with the flow??? I sing to her and kiss her and love her - but feel so wiped out when she lays down for naps....

I really want to put my child in a day care type setting (drop off babysitting place) so I can go get a pedicure or hair done or go to dr. appt without baby in tow - but i can't seem to do it - because of the germs and sickness out there right now..... its awful. I live far from family and friends and don't want to go out with moms groups and their sick kiddos that they drag along for sake of conversation..... SOMEONE please tell me if I need help - and I neeed to be more relaxed about this stuff!!! Do I need help??????

I want to take her to gymboree classes and I attend with her - but I get freaked about her getting a really bad virus or such. please help. The last time I asked my pediatrician he said to take her out - let her play with other kids - and she got sooooo terribly sick.

I feel so closed in - but am afraid to give my girl such bad germs. She got so sick with diarrhea for over 10 days when I let her play at the mall kids play zone.... in Dec. it was awful.

Thanks! (old friday)
escgirl now!
dd. born 1/30/06

Last edited by Escgirl; 01-16-2007 at 06:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
(female)

Zuzu's Petals HB User

Hi Orange ~

My dd is 7.5 months and she's been scratching at me as well for about a month. When she does it, she has the cutest little smile on her face, it's so hard to deal with it when she is smiling at me, and doing something that hurt's me too.... I usually say Owww!!! to her the minute she go's for my jugular.... She also likes to grab my hair too, and give it a good yank. I have noticed though when I say Owww to her really dramatically she'll stop and look at me, so I know I've got her attention. Definitely don't let anyone convince you it's cute or she will continue to scratch you. I know this because I also have a son, and I remember going through this with him as well. You're definitely not alone. Take care, I hope your little one will learn to stop scratching her mommy soon. :-)

Zuzu

Old 01-17-2007, 04:46 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User

i cant offer much advice on what to do but just want you to know you are not alone ha..DS will be 6 months old on the sat and he scratches me ALOT and grabs my face too..it definitely hurts..he seems to scratch a lot of things but scratches me much harder..i really dont know why they do it..i just figure its a phase and eventually he will stop..when he does it, i just give him a toy to try and make him stop.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

What about covering the hands with little mittens or socks?

I can sympathize... my 2 month old is doing the same thing (not on purpose, though), and my neck and chest hurt...

Closed Thread