It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
(female)

l2l2 HB User
What Solids does your baby eat?

hello,
MY Little girl is almost 16 mnts old. She is 23 lbs and drinks about 30 OZ milk every day and she still eats the baby jar foods in morning and at night. She is very picky and will not eat our food or when i try cooking for her, she will not eat. She likes:
Fryes, Chicken fingers, Bacon, Banana and apple
and from baby foods,
She likes:
mac and meat souce and fruit selection and oat meal in the morning.
she is not willing to try any new tasts and even worst she only has 4 front teeth and she cannot chew the solid food and she spit it out after cutting it, if it makes sence.
I like to know about your baby and what you feed your baby.
Thanks

Old 02-04-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
(female)

Jakeysmom HB User
Re: What Solids does your baby eat?

Hi! My DS is 15 mos and about 22 lbs. He drinks about 20 oz of milk per day and has 3 meals and several snacks. He is also picky! But I have really worked with him to get him to eat different foods and believe me, it takes awhile sometimes! Sometimes I have to offer a new food over 10 times to get him to eat it. It does mean some wasted food, but worth it in the long run. He does have his 1st molars now, but the list of foods I will give you he could eat most of with only the front teeth. Other tricks I use: Having special toys he only sees in the high chair- this distracts him into sometimes eating more, watching a video while eating (bad mommy!) but it works!, trying things from my plate away from the high chair, and just leaving him alone with his food while I do things near him in the kitchen- this one is messy, but he will use the spoon himself (really messy) and self feed more sometimes if I am not right there. Here is what he eats:
oatmeal with fruit
cheerios with or without milk and really any kind of cereal
chicken nuggets
baked or broiled chicken (he will eat any chicken)
yogurt
sweet potato "fries" baked in the oven
apple sauce
pears
cereal bars filled with fruit or fruit and yogurt
grilled tofu
apple pieces cut small
grapes cut in quarters
Whole wheat spaghetti with meat sauce
triscuits, goldfish-- any cracker/pretzel
jarred turkey and sweet potatoes (he's not into many jarred foods anymore except fruit)
toast with butter
Jarred Granola with cinnamon and raisins
raisins
grilled cheese sandwich with whole wheat bread
Whole milk
limit of 4 oz watered down juice per day
plums, prunes in the jar

Just keep offering and trying. Your LO sounds very healthy and will eat a variety given time!

Oh and toddlers this age only "need" 16 oz of milk a day. My DS was drinking over 30 at 12 mos, and we gradually cut it down and he started eating more solids.

Last edited by Jakeysmom; 02-04-2007 at 03:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

Ugh! I soooo feel for you, because my son is such a finicky eater as well, and he has two sets of molars already.

For breakfast and the nighttime snack, we still give him our fruit and oatmeal combo, but for the other two meals I've been trying everything!!

Here's what I can get him to eat so far....sometimes...either for a snack or a meal itself, since I give him little snacks in between meals.

"Real" food:
Chicken Nuggets
Scrambled Eggs
Pancakes
Fries (which I disapprove of greatly, but he is still fed by meddling grandparents :| )
Cut up bananas
Peanut Butter sandwich (cut into bites)
Mac and Cheese
Cheese Cracker Fish
Teddy Grahams
Green Beans
Corn
Grilled Chicken

Baby Food:
Biter Biscuits (I don't know what I would do without those things!)
Cream Corn Cassarole
Any type of fruit mixed with oatmeal

That's about it for baby food--he pretty much rejects baby food now that he has his handy dandy molars Which is super annoying. I wish I had my non-finicky baby food eating infant back

I don't know, I just imrpovise a lot and give hima variety of stuff....plus I always give him his daily vitamins.

Oh and as for drink wise, I usually give him around three sippy cups of milk a day, and only one cup of juice, cut in half by water. Oh, and as of late, he's had a cold, so I give him water to drink early in the morning when his throat is all weird and scratchy.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I am dreading going through this with #2 as #1 was a pain in the butt with eating. One of my secrets this time was to introduce chunky baby food, thicker food, and finger foods as soon as possible. Thus ds#2 now eats more and better than ds#1 who is almost 4. Don't get me wrong, we have tricks with ds#2 as well....one being using the toys idea only I try to stick to things that you might find in the kitchen anyway...spoons, plastic cups, wooden spoons, spatulas, plastic bowls, pots etc.
When ds#1 was 18 months old he still refused to eat meat and was iron deficient. He also was under 20 lbs and had gained 1 ounce since he was 12 months. The paed was worried and checked him for CF, which was negative. In all of this though she did give us some great tips for picky eaters:
- don't offer fluids before or during meals...wait till they are done picking!!!!
- no juice or very little through the day as the fill up on the empty calories....even diluted juice....offer water mostly, sometimes milk if they haven't eaten much all day
- regarding baby food (jarred) and any foods that they always want...stop offering them. Insist they eat what you offer or don't have anything. Eventually they will eat. I have a very tough time with this but usually if my son eats some of what I want, I will then give him what he wants.
- Always eat together...modelling is a great way to learn for them.
Good luck!!!

Old 02-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyn View Post
- regarding baby food (jarred) and any foods that they always want...stop offering them. Insist they eat what you offer or don't have anything. Eventually they will eat.

I am sooooo afraid to do this! Sometimes my son will skip a meal allthogether and it makes me paranoid. Don't get me wrong, my son is 32 inches and 33 lbs, so he is a big and healthy boy, but still....I offer him new stuff and he won't eat!!!

What is good to offer picky babies? I don't want him to be hooked on fatty foods--any quick and easy ideas?

Old 02-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I found cereal (dry) was a good item...easy to eat, take with you etc. and usually has extra iron and vitamins in it so it increases their daily amounts.
Most kids will eat fruit and for obvious reasons it's a good choice.
If they like chicken nuggets and fries make your own at home...just coat chicken breast cubes in milk and egg and then dip them in a bread crumb combination. Then take potatoes and cut them up like fries. Bake the whole lot for about 25 min at around 400.
Good luck...I've been there and it is tough but I've learned the hard way that you have to be tough and offer the choices and the age appropriate foods.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

My daughter is only 10 months old right now and had her two bottom teeth. We have gone through two long periods (months) of no eating, only drinking her formula until I figured out, she only like TROPICAL FRUIT. She will only eat orange, mango, peach, or pineapple jarfood. She also eats the oatmeal or rice cereal from the jar in the morning if it had pear in it. She does not like apple, banana, or strawberry. Isn't that weird, everyone usually loves those flavors. I have found also, that feeding her the foods she likes, I am able to cut back her milk.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

wow he seems to still be having a lot of milk. sam is 11 months - almost and has less than 21 ounces a day. but he eats three good meals of our own foods. maybe if you cut down the milk he would have more appetite? also i notice my ds is less likely to eat food i try to spoon feed him he is so independant liking to feed himself maybe your child is the same jsut independant oh and i don't do jars except on odd occassions when we get caught short at his meal times and the only food on offer is unsuitable salty fatty or fast foods. i am paranoid about too much salt aggghhh. i give him around 7 ounces of juice through the day max - that is on a good day i really have to push the fluids

Closed Thread