It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
Grainy, Greenish Mucousy Poop in 3 month old?

hi.....just called my advice nurse on this this am to see what could be causing my DS to have more poops than normal and they're not as solid as they used to be....she seems to go about 4-5x a day now where she used to go once a day....been going on for about 2 weeks. thought it was due to her cold at first as is what the nurse thought as well when we initially called her for the cold symptoms. she did have a low grade fever and wasn't eating as much.

however, 2 weeks later, her stuffy nose is gone but she still will cough occasionally along with poops more. got a call from the daycare this am to let me know when they changed her, she felt warm so they took her temp and noticed she had a fever of 100. i made an appt with the dr (after insisting on them seeing her and was tired of hearing there's not much they can do for an infant of 13 weeks...)

anyone else go thru this at this time? she was acting very pleasant...no moodiness and is eating very well......in fact, last feeding she took 8oz!

could this be teething? or is this a more serious issue? also, could she be having an issue with her formula? the nurse thought we might want to switch to soy if the poops don't clear up....but why would it be bothering her now after 3 months???

Old 03-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: Grainy, Greenish Mucousy Poop in 3 month old?

Hi Manchak -- Lorelei started waiting 5-6 days between BMs when she was 10 weeks old. She had been a pretty regular once every 24 hours kind of gal before that. There was no change to her routine, she wasn't sick, and was eating the same things as always. Of course, this was smack in between her 2 and 4 month doctor's visit.

At 14 weeks she got back on schedule again... no idea why. Maybe there is some growth and development happening in the bowel system that is preparing for solid food and that affected her BMs... who knows. She didn't seem unhappy or uncomfortable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
(female)

jgirl234 HB User

teething usually start at about 6 mos so its prob not that. have you talked to her doc about this problem? i agree with the last post she's a baby and her digestive system is just still getting used to the formula. my ds is 2 mos old and his bm is different textures some days. maybe she poops more often b/c she's taking in more formula. sorry if i'm not much help! lol just throwing out a few suggestions. i know you are worried but if she seems like she is fine then she prob is ok. give us an update if you decide to talk to her pedi about this.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

hi....thanks for posting.

i did take her to the ped last wednesday and they said she looked good and probably just had a stomach virus that they've seen going around and can last up to 4 weeks! we put her on soy to calm her intestines so they wouldn't be as irritated (that's why you see mucous in the stool)...however, the soy made her spit up much more! unusual but it didn't work for us. she's now back on her regular similac advance and is doing pretty well. she slept alot yesterday and her bm's have decreased...still not like the peanut butter consistancy they say it should be, but she's now gone from 10 dirty diapers to 2-3 and is still eating well. hasn't spit up yet today! that's progress

i'll keep an eye on her and will call the ped again if she's still not 100% by friday.

thanks again for your input.

Closed Thread