It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

victoria48 HB User
Effects of combined pill on breastmilk

Hello everyone

My son is 6 weeks old and this week I visited my doctors surgery to ask for a prescription for a birth control pill.

I had my son with me when I went and also told the nurse that I was breastfeeding while she did the usual health checks (weight, blood pressure etc). She then arranged for the doctor to sign a prescription for me and I took the first pill from the packet today.

I have since done some research about the combined pill and found that it can not only dry up my supply of breastmilk but can cause some of the hormones from the pill to pass into the breastmilk I am feeding my son causing "adverse effects". The only problem is that I can't find out what these "adverse effects" are - does anyone know?

I have already called my doctor's surgery to complain and I'm waiting for the doctor to call me back. I am guessing that they should have prescribed me with a mini-pill rather than a combined pill but I am very worried about what effects the one pill I have already taken might have on him and whether I should switch to formula.

Any help would be appreciated.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Synthroid side effects - dizzy, bloated? Second opinion needed? HeidiBR Thyroid Disorders 10 04-29-2010 09:34 AM
Switching from Combined Pill to Progestin Only Pill hollandlop Birth Control 4 03-16-2007 06:08 PM
Combined pill effects? zerodin Sexual Health - General 1 09-23-2006 07:08 PM
Significantly increased blood pressure whilst taking combined pill? Kwackers Birth Control 5 01-31-2006 08:07 PM
side effects of the pill or am i pregnant? ScarletRose Birth Control 7 12-04-2005 05:36 AM