It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User
DS cant keep anything down and throwing up way too much..help!

Well out of the blue last night, DS threw up EVERYWHERE..i mean it was A LOT of vomit..he didnt act sick or anything..i was putting him to bed and he was asleep and sat up and did it again..he soaked 3 of my shirts and pants, 3 of his pj's and the chair and the rug..in the middle of the night he got a very runny nose..it sounds stuffy really but its runny..but he was real happy today, didnt act sick so i fed him and he threw up it seemed like 2-3 times as much as what was in him...i called the doc and they said to keep him on only pedialite for 24 hrs..i gave him some and he threw that up too..i dunno what i should do at all..he is cutting teeth but i dunno if that has anything to do with it because his bottom two didnt have this kind of affect on him..any opinions on what to do???i cant give him nothing to eat or drink but he cant keep anything down..help!

Old 04-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Re: DS cant keep anything down and throwing up way too much..help!

Sounds like a bug. Does he have a fever?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User

No he has no fever..i actually have the same thing now..i cant keep anything down but no fever..but the doc said to keep him on pedialyte for 24 hrs...i did and just gave him a few ounces of formula to see if he could keep it down...he did pretty good then later on i gave him a little more, and he threw up everywhere again..i dunno whats going on!

Old 04-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Well, if you now have it, then it is definitely a bug of some sort. You must feel awful. Hopefully it will only last a few days. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

It can be food poisoning as well.. you can transmit that as well if you are not careful in your cleaning and care during nursing you child. I got food poisoning from my husband caring for him.

Fight dehydration. Ask your GP for an anti-nausea suppositories.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User

Thanks for ur replies!! i bottle feed DS but i am really clean about everything i do around here and everything..do u think it could be from shots? DS had 3 shots last week (well actually 5, they combined 2 though) and after that he got a really high fever..went away for a few days and 2 nights ago he got a really runny nose and then started throwing up everywhere..ive though about going to the hospital bc i dunno if hes keeping enough in him to keep him hydrated but i dunno how to tell...should i call the doc again or what should i do?

Old 04-12-2007, 07:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

It could be an adverse reation to shots. My son would have siezures if we gave him more than one vaccine at a time and he was allergic to the DPaT vaccine. Our solution was to go in for his immunization getting one every two weeks.. After taking him to the ER with siezures, hives, and high fever after his 2 month vaccinations we were not going to take a chance.

Call the nurse and tell her what is going on.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Since you are sick, too, it's probably not the shots.

I had food poisoning last week (Easter Sunday of all days) but can't figure out where it came from since DH and I ate the same things all day the day before. *shrug* Couldn't keep anything down for about 12 hours, then slowly was able to sip water, and within a few hours I then tried some applesauce and a banana. I had some dry toast, too. Do the BRATT diet (banana, rice, apple, tea, toast).

As a certified food professional in my state, I've had to take classes and tests on the different illnesses you can get from food -- it's pretty scary! And easy to get, too. Many people call it a "bug" or "the stomach flu" but it's actually food poisoning. I had muscle aches and a headache with mine, which meant it was probably salmonella. We had a rotisserie chicken the day before, and I ate some meat that was closer to the bone... who knows... The funniest part is that I woke up in the middle of the night ready to vomit, but only after having a dream that I was making weird concotions of baby food (like mixing prunes and squash and oatmeal cereal with banana) that was making me sick! Guess my brain was trying to tell me to wake up and get to the bathroom ASAP!! ha!

I hope you are both feeling better soon!

Old 04-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User

Thanks for the advice!! I took him to the ER on tues because he would not stop throwing up..they put an IV in him and took his blood..that came back normal and said he make sure he sees the doc the next day..well i called the office and the receptionist said "well you will have to take him to the ER again because we dont have room" so i switched docs..cuz they are always rude anyway..he had an ear infection and i had to take him to the hospital for a shot for that and he also said he may have some type of virus..it starts with an R but i cant remember what its called but i just took a stool sample to the hospital today..there wasnt much at all but they said it was enough..i take him back to the doc friday. so i guess we will see!! but the doc put him on the BRAT diet and i can only give him pedialyte and clear liquids..i feel so bad because he seems so hungry and hes going through ALOT of pedialyte!

Old 04-15-2007, 04:32 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

MissT HB User

the rotavirus.

My ds got really sick like this last month. Out of the blue starting choking and throwing up in bed luckily I had his monitor on and ran in there. He threw up non stop for a long time. I took him to the dr and they said NO MILK (he's over 12 mths)no solid foods nothing but pedialyte, popsicles, jello. Only clear liquids.He would also throw up the pedialyte so we'd give him little medicine droppers full just to keep him hydrated but it didn't work and we ended up in the ER with him all night. They did lots of IV fluid. The diahrrea he had was terrible. It was a nightmare so I can sympathize. My whole family got it "slightly" only my son got it way worse.

It took a good while to get out of his system. Once he could eat we'd just give him saltine crackers and "mild" things like potatoes and started the BRAT diet until he was on his feet. He lost a lot of weight but luckily his appetite returned after a week and he gained it back.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User

Wow that sounds exactly like DS..this started either monday or tuesday..i really cant remember but either way, it was almost a week ago..i tried to give him a few ounced of formula yesterday and hes still throwing that up..he keeps the pedialyte, applesauce and bananas down but cant keep formula down..i dont understand that much but when do you think he will be able to have formula again? its hard to get him to sleep without it..very hard..esp in the middle of the night...he hasnt been sleeping good cuz i know hes really hungry..i dunno what to do for him...also, is this virus curable or do you have to wait it out or what? im not sure what to think about all of this!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

MissT HB User

antibiotics won't treat the virus it has to work through the system. The best thing to do is just keep him hydrated. Yea I know I felt horrible seeing my son so weak from not eating or drinking milk because he could put some milk away before hand but the doctor told me not to give him milk for at least 5 days from the first sign of sickness and if he was still getting sick he didn't need it. Milk just sours on top of the virus and they won't be able to hold it down and if you do try I'd start very slow like when my son could finally have milk I gave him 2 ounces at first just to see how it would go then you have to wait it out for awhile and if he can hold it down he can have a little more. It will go away eventually. Mine kinda baffled me because he doesn't go to daycare so I never really found out how he got the virus in the first place. I was just glad when it was gone.

I hope yours gets better soon too.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:50 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

BTW, there IS a vaccination for rotavirus, but it has to be started before 12 weeks of age. It's not on all the "required" lists, so some docs don't carry it. I forgot to ask about it at my daughter's 2 month checkup, but did at the 4 month visit. Found out her doc doesn't carry it, so he refered me to the health dept. I read up on it online, and found out that it can't be started after 12 weeks... oh well.

Edited to add:
Rotavirus is one of those "wait it out" type of illnesses. Dehydration is the biggest concern, so keep the fluids going in. Everything that I've read says 3-9 days... hang in there!

Last edited by xinerevelle; 04-16-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

prairie_dawn HB User

ROtavirus is always bad to have.

I just wanted to let you know that anytime there is a throwing up or diareah you should start the brat diet (BRAT) Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast. NOT APPLE JUICE just to be clear. ONly clear liquids with the exception of coke or cola.

If kids are drinking pedalyte and throwing up only give them sips of it at at time or if an infant then give 1/2 oz at a time. DO NOT GIVE water as that will just make them for sure throw up. If you dont have pedalyte then use water with a little cola in it. Take a cup put cola in it and take a fork and stir till no more bubbles are there then add that to water and give. For yourself as well. This virus can last for 14 days some times so please even if you feel better still treat it as such. You can add some bland chicken to your diet but NOTHING with fat like milk,cheeses stuff like that.
If this is a small child still drinking formula then ask when you should return to formula. But if htey are eating fruits and stuff then just give pedalyte and give bananas and applesauce in the jar to baby for a food source.

Also the smell from the diapers will be sour it will smell like that because of the milk. Milk and fatty foods causes diareah and that smell. Same for us adults as well.

Do not forgetthat your body needs to recouperate from something like this. I also must stress this part....
If you have just had the baby within a year you really need to watch how you feel the next 2months or so. Women are more prone to THyroid conditions and sometimes they dont come out of their state of dormancy untill after a bad virus or pregnancy. So keep that in mind and if you feel weird or off please go get a test for yoru thyroid. I know it seems so not on the subject but I have thyroid disease and I always go out of remission when I have a virus.

I had this virus when my kids were ds10,ds23 months and dd5months and ds23 months and I had it and wow it was bad, trying to treat him and me being sick. I even passed out on the floor one night and dh didnt know. I woke up because i had to throwup again and he felt so bad I said how were you suppoosed to know. But man we battled this for 14 days. It was aweful, i hope you dont have it that long.

Also, bleach all doorknobs,light switches, toilet handles and seats. It sure helps. Toys and stuff that got stuff on it throw out or bleach in hot water. We were told to lysol what we could then throw in washer. clothes that got dirty we threw out. Just to make sure that wasnt in our washer.

oh good luck hope you are feeling better by now.

Closed Thread