It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User
Reusing a bottle of breastmilk? Can I do this?

Does anyone know if I can refrigerate or freeze a bottle of breastmilk that has been warmed and given to my baby but she didn't finish?
Sometimes she doesn't finish and I just throw it away, but a friend of mine said she just puts hers back in the fridge.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
(female)

Lola26 HB User
Re: Reusing a bottle of breastmilk? Can I do this?

My baby book says not to do this, because when the baby sucks on the nipple of the bottle, there are bacteria from the baby's mouth that enter into the milk, and it shouldn't be stored for long afterwards. If your DD doesn't finish, you can try and give her the same bottle for up to 3 hours (no need to refrigerate it) but after that it should be thrown out. This is the reason why I like to defrost small amounts at a time. My DS is also "snacker".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

yellowrose5006 HB User

I changed nipple out and put back in fridge and gave at next feeding.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

Yeah your not supposed to do that not even with formula.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Well, it's technically "against the rules", but since we all know how precious breastmilk is and how expensive formula is, there was no way I was going to throw away 4 or 5 oz. of formula if baby decided that she didn't want any after drinking an ounce. Back in the fridge it goes -- no harm or foul. I know that there are bacteria and whatnot there, but I guess baby's body has figured out how to ward it off (I guess those first few days I was able to breastfeed and she got some colustrum in her were good! ). If there is only an ounce left, or if the bottle has been out for more than about 90 minutes, then I DO dump it.

Oh, and I never heat up her bottles... we've always given them to her room temp or cold straight from the refrigerator with no problems. My mom thought it was weird until I asked her how she drinks her milk... "Cold!" she said. "Exactly!" I replied.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:58 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

AZ24 HB User

I know it has been awhile since you posted this question, but I thought I would add my 2 cents. I talked to my lactation consultant, and she said that if you take a bottle of breastmilk out of the fridge and warm it up (and your baby isn't interested), that you can actually stick it back in the fridge. It just has to be used up withing 24 hours.

When you put fresh breastmilk in the fridge, it can stay there for about a week. It can sit on your counter after being warmed for up to 10 hours. You can take Monday's milk and add Tuesday's to it in the fridge.

Just some info,
Stacey

Closed Thread