It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User
Attached 10 week old

My DD is 10 weeks old and is very attached to me. I thought this didn't come into play unril they are older? I am at a loss as to what to do. She is very unhappy for everyone, including DH. She won't sleep for anyone but me and she won't calmly drink her bottle for anyone but me. It is getting hard b/c my mom watches her while I work (p/t 4-5hrs/day) and the whole time my mom has her she cries off and on. The other day DH came home from work earlier so I asked him to please pick up DD so my mom would have a break and she did the same for him until I came home. She is such a great baby for me but the minute some one takes her from me she starts to fuss and complain until I take her back. My mom and DH are not strangers to her. She has been around them since birth. But the attachment thing is getting worse instead of better and I have been wokring about 3 weeks now. I can't not work - my working p/t has us already on a tight budget.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User
Re: Attached 10 week old

I'm not sure what you can do about helping ease the attachment, but I can suggest you try and find a way!! My son is now 2 and is getting worse by the day. My first was never this bad. I think it started b/c when my husband would try and help, my son would cry. My husband quickly said, he doesn't want me and handed him over. If I knew then what I would be dealing with now, I would have forced him to stay with his father whether he liked it or not. I have a 2 year old attached to my hip 24 hours a day. He cries for me at night and freaks when he gets his father. It has gotten progressively worse as my current pregnancy comes closer to the end. My son is wonderful, but he always wants mommy and nobody else. It gets VERY exhausting! Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sarawithnoH HB User

2fast, my dd is now 5 months. She was exactly the same way up until a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't hand her off to anyone...not a grandma or daddy. She would cry and cry and as soon as I'd take her back, she would stop. I think she has just gotten better as she has gotten older. Hopefully, it's just a phase that will pass. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User

I hope it passes but she has gotten to the point now that when she sees my mom she drops her lower lip. I am going to bring a camera today so I can get a picture because I can't believe that she does it and it is kinda cute.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:24 AM   #5
(female)

pjtadsp HB User

my dd started to be like that at 3 mos. but now she's fine. so, it might just be a phase. my dh couldnt help but laugh when my dd used to drop her lower lip but she rarely does it now.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Jonanner HB User

2Fast-My DD (6 mo)has always been very clingy with me and won't let anyone else feed her, however she used to let other people hold her for a little while. Just recently this has changed. Now as soon as anyone touches her or takes her from me she starts screaming for me....even if I am standing right in front of her and reassuring her. I'msure this is just a stage and your baby will get better. Enjoy it while it lasts.

aElliot-My DH does the same thing! "She doesn't like me. She wants you". He always does this and I never get a break. I'm going to make him hold on to her longer from now on so I'm not in your situation in a year and a half. Good Luck!

Old 04-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

prairie_dawn HB User

I must ask this...Is she collicky? My dd was this way as well and no one could soothe her except me. Why because I knew how to hold her and gave her those drops for gas and burped her the right way for a collicky baby. Its your scent that eases her tummy problems maybe. And of course it will pass because she wont have collic for ever. Thank god they dont! .

My dd2 was like that but still has gassy problems and well she will still come to me. Dr. said that just happens with a tiny percent of kids and she got it. no biggy i stay home so i'm fine with it but man that crying would get on my nerves. LOL

I am sure it's not what my dd has but maybe it is just collic and she needs a bit more attention. Hopefully it wont last long. I would have to say that I absolutely recomend if you dont have one already a swing. IT was a godsend. Feed a 10 week old and then put htem in there and they will sway to sleep. I'd wished i'd a thought of it with 3rd child and not just 4th.(duh) But wow what a huge difference. the upright position helps too. Just a thought. good luck to you with baby.

Make sure baby is being burped before during and after every single feeding.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

I'm probably in the minority here, but what's wrong with a 10 week old being attached?

I've got a high needs babe. She's absolutely a mamas girl and always has been, but that's just her personality. Don't force what your child doesn't want. Babies are supposed to be attached to their mamas. We need to try to rethink how we look at children. We need to not set our expectations so high that we end up resentful and frustrated. If you expect that your 10 week old shouldn't be attached it'll make it that more frustrating when she is. Just like you can't expect a baby to sleep through the night, or a 1 year old to sit still. One day you'll look back and this time will have flown by. I know it can feel frustrating right now, but it will get easier.

My suggestion would be to get a good sling. That way, you can be totally hands free and she'll still get to be all nice and snuggly with mama. It's especially great if you're nursing. You just nurse on the go.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

2fast- My SIL had the same problem with my neice. She couldn't stand to even be near other people. She couldn't be held by anyone other than my SIL. It was tough for a few months, maybe till she was about 6 months old. BUT, let me tell you now.......she is the most outgoing sweet independant little girl you have ever met, and super smart too. She's now 20 months. I know you're going through a tough time, but it will pass, and the more that she knows that you're there for her the more secure she will be in the long run.

Closed Thread