It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Jonanner HB User
Does your baby eat meat?

I was just wondering when everyone started giving their babies meat. My doctor said my 6mo should start having meat 3-4times a week because all of her iron stores (from the placenta) have been depleted by this age. She suggested those baby food jars with the meat and veggies mix. I didn't think she needed meat yet since she has no teeth. It doesn't seem like Nature intended for her to eat meat so soon. Meat in a jar seems gross to me. She said if I make it myself I would have to cook it, puree it and strain it. I really don't think I have time for that.

I would love to hear any suggestions or opinion on this topic. Did anyone give their babies iron through other sources? Did anyone give their babies meat from their plates? TIA!

Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
(female)

Mrs.Khan HB User
Re: Does your baby eat meat?

I think the doc is right .My son deveopled anaemia .Iron stores can deplete soon .Anyways u can try to give her minced meat .Also the jars are not that bad .Another thing ...give her 1 banana daily .that contains lot of iron and potassium .Offcourse less than beef .But more than any other fruit .Just blend the banana with some water and give it to her .Hope that helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Iron comes from lots of different sources for babies, but primarily from breastmilk/formula and iron-fortified cereal. Your doctor is right that the iron stores that she had when born are now gone and that she's got to get that iron from her daily diet now. I don't know that iron is the reason to start meat now, though, since there is plenty of iron in the cereals (oatmeal, rice, barley, etc.).

The primary reason, IMHO, is to get baby used to eating meat now when she's much more willing to try new things. In a few months, from what I've read at several sources, she may be less apt to want to please her parents and give a new food a whirl. She'll need to start getting her protein and iron from meat by one year, since she'll be decreasing the formula/breastmilk and the baby cereal by then. Get her used to it by starting now.

I didn't think anything of it and tried a jar of turkey with my 5 month old -- before I thought to check out when she should start meats... She wasn't that thrilled with it (unlike peas or sweet potatoes!) and made lots of funny faces as she was eating it. Very different texture and taste compared to cereal, veggies, and fruits. Next month I'll try it again and keep at it, a little bit a day for 3 days or so, then another kind the following week, etc.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User

I don't remember exactly when I introduced meat to my Ds, but I'm sure it was somewhere between 6 and 9 months. I first tried just plain baby food chicken, and he hated it! Then I tried a jar of chicken and apples, and he loved it. He liked any of the meat/veggie and meat/friut mixes.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

prairie_dawn HB User

My dd9months gets cereal, fruit and veggies. I have severe allergies in my family so I do not start giving fruit and veggies till after 6months even 7motnhs of age. But at about 4motnhs started cereal. She is big and then some too. I have not introduced meat since my dr's dont do that till after they are 9-10 months old. But I live in NJ and my two pediatricians are Russian and I really do think that they are great compared to the american ped's in this particular area. I am not russian but have good values and that is what brought me to them and i have been with them for 8 years now.

If there were tests that showed there was anemia then I think you need to find out why there is. Are you feeding cereal? Fruit? veggies?

X is right there are many other sources of iron out there. Everything has iron in it nowadays so dont worry about it. Also I have eaten every kind of baby food you can imagine. And please dont freak that it might taste gross. It actually does for some, well maybe not gross but bland with no salt,pepper or A1 steak sauce on it. Just like with your baby making faces when she eats a new tart fruit she will get use to it the same with feeding her the meat. I have always trusted gerber meats and beach nut. they dont taste like what we eat but baby will be fine with it.

If you are not comforable feeding her this early then see what happens next month. just as long as you know she is eating other iron sources. My dd didnt get her teeth till just 3 weeks ago.

But my ds12yr got his two teeth by 4months and by 6months had 4. every kid is different. I still didnt give him meat till he was about 9months.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:29 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User

Hi Jonanner!

We just saw the pediatrician yesterday and she told us to start with the meats now. She said, do the meat/veggie or meat/fruit combos instead of just the straight meat. She wants us to start Stage 2 foods already!

Sometimes I feel like she's pushing things a little bit. I will start the meat in a couple of weeks - when I feel ready.

DD has her 2 bottom teeth already so maybe that's why she wants us to start.

Also, she keeps pushing juice. Drives me nuts. I finally told her yesterday that dd won't be getting juice because it's so full of sugars. I let her drink water from a sippy cup if she's thirsty. I don't want dd to get used to juice and don't feel that she's getting that much out of it. There's nothing wrong with plain old water!

Hope things are going well for you now that you are back to work!

Old 04-20-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

prairie_dawn HB User

Trooper good for you! Glad to see parents that arent afraid to stand up for what they want.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Jonanner HB User

Trooper- My DD doesn't have teeth yet, just the pain. I haven't been giving her juice either. She loves water, so I see no need to add the extra sugar. Plus she eats plenty of fruits. I did buy a berry juice that has extra iron in it but I don't know yet if I will give it to her. A lot of people here give their babies carrot juice. I let her try it but I think she likes her water straight up. Also she just figured out how to suck the water out of the sippy cup so I don't have to hold it for her without the lid anymore. YAY!!

Back to work? As in my job? not me.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Also, she keeps pushing juice. Drives me nuts.
I am always so amazed at the differences in all of our ped's opinions and directives. My ped says absolutely NO juice, and after 1 year push milk, milk, milk! I have found a happy balance in between. I'm not crazy about too much juice, but on occasion I do give my dd a lit juice mixed with water. I also only give both of my kids 100% juice - nothing with high fructose corn syrup.

As for meat, my 11 month old dd LOVES it! She has her two bottom teeth and recently got three top teeth. She's been eating chicken, pork, and beef for a few months now. At first I cut it into tiny pieces, now I just cut it up like I would for my 6 year old. Her favorites are american chop suey and meatloaf! I would wait until YOU feel your dd is ready, as I agree with all the pp that said iron is in many foods. I also agree that meat in a jar is kind of gross, so I never gave that to her either!

Closed Thread