It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
(female)

miffy HB User
Sweet Potato - How to prepare?

This is a stupid question (but I don't know how to cook....). I would like make sweet potato for my 6 months old dd.

(1) First off, is it sweet potato or sweet yam?
(2) Do I first peel off the skin before boiling it?
(3) How long do I boil it?

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Sweet Potato - How to prepare?

you could boil it until it's soft when you stick a fork in it, like a regular potatoe, or you could put it in the microwave for 5 minutes or so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

Hi

I make all my own baby food (and I'm not much of a cook either) I get recipes and ideas online and have a baby food recipe book.

Sweet potatos and yams i think are the same thing. I scrub the skins and bake them wrapped in foil at 350 degrees until very soft (about an hour)then I cut it open and scoop out the potato when it's cooled off a bit. Then i put it in the food processer and puree it until very smooth by adding a little water. My baby loves them.

If you are interested in making your own food it is very easy just time consuming. but to me worth it. I work full time and have been making his food for 3 months now. I make sweet potato, butternut squash, carrots, broccoli, parsnips, chicken breast, apples, bananas, pears, peaches, melon, etc. I stopped making peas and green beans and just buy those since they are too consuming to strain out all the skins after pureeing. I make a big batch of food then pour the puree into ice cube trays and freeze. I save the cubes in freezer bags and just heat them up when ready to eat. He eats all kinds of combinations. Also I save a lot of money and it is so much more nutritious.

Good luck and if you are interested just do a search for baby food recipes.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
(female)

miffy HB User

Thanks Hope2Heal, this is sooooooo helpful! A couple more questions for you:

(1) What do you use to scrub the potato skin with?
(2) How do you heat up the frozen cubes? Microwave or steamer? Is it safe to use microwave?
(3) You mentioned you fed your baby all kinds of combination. My baby is 6 months, she's been eating rice cereal for a month now. I'm going to start her with vege (eg: carrots). Do I serve her a combo of rice cereal + carrots, or just carrots at one meal?

Thanks.

Miffy

Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

MissT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
you could boil it until it's soft when you stick a fork in it, like a regular potatoe, or you could put it in the microwave for 5 minutes or so.

the microwave is definitely the easiest. I've done sweet potatoes and regular potatoes like this. Times vary per microwave but you just check to see if its mushy enough. You don't even have to peel it just poke holes in it and since it will be really hot when it gets out I usually either stick them in the freezer just long enough to cut back on the heat enough that I can handle them and then I scoop the insides out with a melon baller but you could use a spoon.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

I peel, slice, boil and mash with a little butter. Got to get the fat in for the dev. brain.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

hi

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have not been online, baby been sick.

I use a scrub sponge just for veggies.

I don't have a microwave (paranoid about radiation) so I put some cubes in a bowl and set in in a small pot of boiling water. I just fill the pot enough for the bowl to sit in it. I boil the water then let the food sit in it for 10 minutes until soft with the water turned off. MIcrowaving is prob. easier. At my sons daycare they have a mini crock pot that keeps hot water all day and they heat up everything in that. I buy plastic tupperware type containers of different sizes to transport the food and also a feeding bowls. The glad disposable ones work fine and i never dispose of them!

As for combinations, I started him out with one fruit or veggie at a time and I do mix with cereal depending on the meal. I always do oatmeal and fruit for breakfast since the formula mixed in gives protein, the cereal gives iron and folic acid. But Now that he is introduced to so many foods i mix up broccoli and sweet potatos, or butternut squash and zucchini. I started pureeing chicken and I pureed it with apples for one batch and butternut squash for another. Then I take a chicken cube and mix it with different veggies. For snack I give him plain fruit or plain veg or mix fruit with rice or mix with organic plain whole milk yogurt. So far he loves everything ! It has raised my self esteem and confidence as a cook! Certain things I buy, such as peas since they are hard to make. Also apricots, plum and things out of season.

Feel free to ask more questions. It has been very rewarding and i feel good to be doing this for my babies first food start in life. I had to quit breastfeeding early on and felt terrible about it so now feel I am making up for that. If you read the baby food jars, you have towonder what is in it. thickening agents, fruit juice conecentrates (sugar) and what is that meat anyway?

good luck

Closed Thread