It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User
Clenched Fists

My DD is 3 months and she still keeps her fists tightly clenched. She has had them like this since she was born. She will open them up a little once I pry them open. I know baby's do clench their fists but DS never did. But he was a really hyper - active baby and DD is very babyish. What is starting to concern me is how nasty her hands are. They are always fall of fuzzies when I open them up, slightly damp and they smell worse then sweaty feet. I try to clean them out with a wipe every morning and then powder them up. But it is really nasty how they smell in there. I think her dirty diapers smell better then her hands. I don't care that she likes to clench them, I just which they weren't so gross. Anyone else have this?? She clenches them very tight too, I am afraid I am going to break her fingers when I do open them up. If I open them up and put a blanket or something in there, she hangs on forever, just because she is clenching so hard.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:12 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Jonanner HB User
Re: Clenched Fists

My dd clenched her fists until she was 5mo or so. I don't think they stunk really bad though. As long as her hands don't look irritated I wouldn't worry about it. My dd has stinky feet

p.s. once she starts eating solids her poops will smell much worse....I'm sure of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I do think this is something that should at the very least be pointed out to her ped.sometimes certain nerve/muscle/reflex issues can cause this over "tightening' of her muscles.it is almost like a spastic type of clinch.what happens when you pry her fingers open?do they want to just clinch right back up or do they appear to relax some and stay open?do you ever observe the hands in any other posistion at times,like just a natural lying open posistion at least some of the time?Marcia

Old 05-15-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
(female)

Tinkerbelle1 HB User

My DS clenched his hands with his thumb tucked inside for the first few months but I don't think it was as intense as what you have described. I wouldn't worry too much but I do agree that it's worth talking to the ped. If it would ease your mind you could make a special appointment just to have them checked. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User

She will stop, just give it another month. My dd did that too. She had fuzzies galore in her little palms. And her hands did smell too because of the sweat. I pointed it out to her pediatrician and she said not to worry. Sure enough, a month later, she stopped. I think it is normal. I know there is information about clenched fists in several books I own, but I didn't think it applied to my dd. And it sounds like your dd is the exact same way.

The worst was bath time. She'd clench so hard that her hands would turn white (white knuckel effect) from clenching. I'd constantly have to open her hands.

Hang in there, it goes away with age.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:52 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User

[QUOTE=Jonanner;2983744] My dd has stinky feet QUOTE]

My dd puts my husband to shame!!!

Hi BTW, hope you are doing well!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Between the fuzzies in her hands and the fuzzies between her toes, it seemed to be a full time job just keeping those areas clean! Oh, and did I mention the creases in her neck??? They smelled like feet, too! Yuck!

I ended up using a baby wipe on the hands and toes and neck 3-4 times a day when I was changing her. (I did the toes mainly because she was putting her hands on them and then the hands went into the mouth... now she just puts the toes in the mouth directly, lol!) I figured that if the wipe was good enough to clean a butt it's good enough to clean a hand - ha!

I would mention the clenching to the doctor, but I wouldn't be overly worried about it.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

prairie_dawn HB User

I agree with Xin. I too had to the whole neck gross thing going on. My DD almost 3 now has eczema and man she had it at birth. Dr found it odd but she did. They usually dont get it till like 5 weeks. Well she had it and the neck was bad as well. I use to have to wash it with ONLY Dove soap(ped said only dove) and then dry it with a napkin. DAb dab dab and that was it. It would bleed sometimes too.

Make sure you only use Dye free/perfume free detergent on the clothes. Dont use dreft or anything other than the free stuff. Dreft is very harsh on babies bodies.

Dove soap on the body and like Tide free or ALL free i think arm and hammer makes a Free as well. I use ALL on everything. I never had any issues with my 10month old dd now. And dd3 looks so much better.

all of mine clenched till like 5 or so months and yes they stunk and so did their feet. LOL Their feet still stink and pack a punch too.

Last edited by prairie_dawn; 05-15-2007 at 07:39 PM.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
(female)

jgirl234 HB User

my ds is 4 mos and has stopped clenching his fists as much now he stares at them and plays with them. if they smell bad i would talk to her pedi about it. my son had his 4 mos check up today and i mentioned that i ws concerned about the folds in his skin (esp under his neck) b/c it turns red sometimes and i worry that it hurts or irritates him. she said to make sure to keep it dry and presribed an anti-fungal creme b/c fungus can grow there since it is moist. good luck and make sure you give us an update!

Closed Thread