It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User
how do I wean from bf?

I'm planning on starting to wean my baby from breastfeeding next month. She'll be five months then and I figure by the time I stop completely she'll be about 6 months. Does anyone have any tips for helping to stop the milk production, but also to make it as easy onthe baby as possible? My little girl loves, loves bf, but I'd like my body back to myself now. Is is even possible to just do her bedtime feeding and that's it? or does the body not respond in that way.
Any suggestions are helpful.
Thanks.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
(female)

Arls1 HB User
Re: how do I wean from bf?

Are you planning on going to formula?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

I have a freezer full of breast milk which I'll give her first and then go to Enfamil.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

For your comfort, you should take a feeding away and then wait a few days to take away another feeding.

I just finished nursing my son after a year. I went to two feedings a day and we did okay with that. I then went down to one and my milk supply was barely there. I wanted that night time one to last a little bit longer, but there wasn't anything there for him anymore. He loved to nurse as well and I hated making that decision for him. But I really don't think there is a need after the first year. Anyway, I wanted to hold onto that night one for a week or so longer (I think more for Mommy's sake than his), but when the milk wasn't there, my son bit me in frustration. So that was that.

Anyway, wean slowly. You'll be lucky to have one feeding a day, but I think it gets hard to have something for them at that point.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

I regretted not trying to nurse for a year. After 5 months, I too, wanted my body back. I got it, with flabbier breasts and more than I bargained for. I was going to try to start back up, but my DD didn't care anymore. I am planning to nurse DS this time around for a year. I lost some milk at around 6 months and my production just went down from there. I also had a poor breast pump. So, this time, as a "seasoned" mom, I am going to try to do better. I completely understand how you are feeling, just wanted to warn you that you may regret it later on. Good luck, and I think the best way is like said above, just gradually take away feedings. Your body will quickly adjust....and I may recommend adding cereal to his intake too.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to start next week and see how it goes. I am nervous that I might regret it, but I'm also ready to not be attached by the boob to the baby...
I'm also figuring that this is a good time to wean a baby because in a few more months she'll start going through separation anxiety and I don't want to wean her then. Is it harder the older they get? It seems like she's pretty stable now. But I'll have to find another way for her to get that relaxed, "milk drunk" feeling she gets on the breast.

Closed Thread