It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

bap104 HB User
9 month old throwing up

My ds has thrown up twice today. I called the dr and am still waiting for a return phone call, ugh! I am worried about dehydration. It is like a zillion degress outside and he won't drink anything. I tried pedilite, plain water in a bottle and cup, and water mixed with rice cereal and he won't drink it. He has eaten a little today but basically thrown up whatever he ate anyway. He has spent the majority of the day sleeping but when he is awake he is playing like normal. Any advice to calm me down until I hear back from the dr? Thanks

Old 05-31-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: 9 month old throwing up

Hey bap-
It sounds like your little one may have a stomach bug. Just continue to try and get him to sip pedialite and don't allow any dairy products as they will not sit well on his tummy if he does have a stomach virus. Does he have a fever at all? Has he had any runny bowel movements along with the vomitting>

You did the right thing putting a call in to the doctor. It's always a good idea to do so if something concerning is happening.

Keep a good eye on him and allow him to rest and keep him inside. Please let us know what the doctor says.

Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
(female)

bap104 HB User

My dr finally called. She said the same as you. She also said try giving him popsicles, never would have thought of that one. I am still concerned about dehydration and if he doesn't have a wet diaper in the next 4 hours (which would make it a total of 8 hours) then we are off to the ER...scary. Thanks for your concern.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I'm glad your doctor called you back. I had thought of suggesting you try giving him the pedialite popcycles, but didn't want you to think I was crazy since your son is so young. If you do that, please make sure a hunk of it doesn't come off for him to choke on.

It's not uncommon for little ones to have the loss of urine when they are not taking in any fluids, but I TOTALLY agree that if he doesn't have a wet diaper it is a good idea to seek medical help as babies will become dehydrated pretty quickly, and it's more dangerous for them because they are so tiny.

I will keep you and your son in my thoughts. Take care! I know it's scary when your little one is sick- especially when they can't actually tell you what feels sick.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
(female)

Arls1 HB User

we had the same problem with my 8 month old and we had to force feed the pedialite with a syringe every 5 to 10 min and it finally worked. Every time he saw it coming to his mouth he would cry but he needed the fluids and that is what the doctor told us to do. Jello was also good.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

My son picked up the stomach bug last night. I heard it is going around. I also had problems getting pedialite and water in him. However, he seemed kind of hungry. THe nurse told me I can do half formula and half pedialite - but a very small amount of each (like 2 oz. total) every hour and a half or so. I am going to try it. She said the pedialite is important to get in him. Anyone else ever try this?

Old 06-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Another thing you might try, assuming your baby is eating solids, is watermelon. It's full of water and tastes good, too!

Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Closed Thread