It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
(female)

Lozzy_04 HB User
Sleeping through the night?

I have a 6 month old baby boy who still wakes many times a night. At least 2-6 depending on the night. Hes breastfeeding, and is always hungry for milk when he wakes. Ive tried to just sooth him back to sleep without feeding him but he just screams till i feed him and then he guzzles it and goes back to sleep happily. Its not something that has just started, ie he wasnt sleeping then recently started waking as babies tend to do around teethin times, but rather he has always done this. Its not a big problem but my first ds started sleeping through when he was 3-4 months old, so Im just wondering what might be causing new ds to keep waking? He doesnt seem to be in pain, so I dont think its teething, but I could be wrong i guess. Any ideas why he might not be sleeping through, and how I can get him to do it?

Thankyou
xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Re: Sleeping through the night?

What else is he eating during the day besides milk? I would think that once he started solids that he would sleep better at night.

Also, don't let your son fall asleep at your breast. It seems like he is having a problem soothing himself back to sleep after waking. Babies wake several times a night (and so do we) and they need to be able to roll over and fall back to sleep. If your baby is used to falling asleep at the breast, then that could be the issue. He can't fall back to sleep without being nursed.

Try to put your baby to sleep awake. Do you use a pacifier?

I hope it gets better for you. Waking that many times must be exhausting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Well, of course he's hungry! You're giving in to him. Don't feel bad, it's a perfectly natural response, but at this age he is able to go 8-12 hours without food at night (provided he's eating enough during the day).

Try to cut back (slowly) on the night feedings, to the point where you don't pick him up when he cries at night. It might take a few weeks. He needs to learn to sooth himself back to sleep, as Kel said.

Also, make sure that he is getting all of his nutrition during the day. For Lorelei (7 months tomorrow), she eats about 28-30 oz. during the day, along with 2 solid meals (2-3 Tbsp of cereal and half a stage 2 jar of fruit or veggie). She eats her evening solid meal about 45-60 minutes before she goes to bed, and then drinks about 4 oz. of formula. This seems to be enough to satisfy her.

Good luck!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
(female)

Lozzy_04 HB User

Ok thanks

I know in my head he doesnt need it, and I suspect it is just a pattern hes gotten into. He actually doesnt fall asleep on the breast, and never really has which is interesting. He will feed and then with a pacifier he will go back to sleep on his own in his cot. For all his sleep, night time and naps he goes down awake and falls asleep by himself - I just close the door and walk out and hes fine. It just seems to be, as you say when he wakes, being able to put himself back to sleep. So I think I will focus on that, when he wakes Ill try to not even take him out of the bed just sooth him, re wrap him and put his dummy back in. Ive heard that babies smelling milk on breastfeeding mothers can be an issue. Do you think he smells it on me and so wants it? I could get dh on weekends to get up with him.

As for food, its a bit all over the place, he only really just started to happily eat alot in one sitting - hes a bit of a grazor, he likes to eat little bits at a time. But yesterday he had a whole jar of fruit and a tub of baby custard as well as his regular milk feeds.

Also it is very cold here maybe the cold is waking him. I make sure he has several layers on and we leave the heater in the lounge on to heat the house, but my older son likes the hall light on and his door open, but if the babies door is open the light wakes him lol. So I usually keep his door shut.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Six months is a time for a growth spurt. Let him nurse. In my opinion if he is waking up for it he needs it.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

While I agree with a growth spurt, I don't think waking up to 6 times a night is necessary. My son is 7 months and still wakes at 4 a.m. for a feeding. I wish he would sleep all the way through, but I guess he is just not ready. He takes an entire bottle when he wakes so it tells me he is hungry.

Best of luck, I hope his waking cuts down soon.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

yellowrose5006 HB User

I'm with mom22. 6 times a night is alot and I think if it goes on for another week then there is some other issue (like a night feeder). But my opinion is give it a week and see what happens...I have had same issue with ds and it almost always clears up in a week. He is 10 months old and sleeps from 7p to 4a and gets up for a full 6oz bottle, then sleeps for another 2 hours. About once a week he makes it through the night so I know the 4 am feeding is a short term thing. Dinner has only made a slight difference in his wakings (moved the bottle back 2 hours). He is such a good sleeper otherwise goes to bed with no fussing at all, doesn't want to stay up all night etc....he just needs a bit extra.

Closed Thread