It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User
Question How long should my baby be sleeping?

Hi,

My little girl is 10 weeks old! At night she goes to bed around 8:30 and sleeps a good 8 hours. She wakes up at approximately 4:30, I feed her and she goes back to bed until around 8-8:30.

My question is...during the day, she will stay awake for about 2-2.5 hours and then takes another nap for about 2-3 hours. She does this until it is bedtime. Is she sleeping too much? When she is awake, we play, read stories, she sits in her bouncy seat, swing, playgym and watches baby eistein videos. So when she is awake we are doing alot of activities. I guess I just want to make sure this is normal and that she isn't sleeping too much.

thanks
Koukla

Old 06-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Re: How long should my baby be sleeping?

WOW! You are lucky. Your DD is doing great. What I would do for a schedule like that with my 7 month old son. I can't even get 8 hours out of him right now at night.

Seriously, your daughter is a good sleeper. So many of us have bags under our eyes b/c our little ones don't sleep well.

She really can't sleep too much. She would only be sleeping too much during the day if she wasn't sleeping at night.

Enjoy this time with her. Their schedules change so often so what is happening now could all change in a month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Enjoy the sleep while you can, because it starts to cut down to 12-14 per day total around 6-8 months. That's a total including naps.

Babies will sleep and eat as much or as little as their bodies need.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

My son is almost 14 months old and he only stays up about 3-4 hours during the day and takes a nap. He takes two naps and is sleeping about 10-11 hours at night. So since you're daughter is only 10 weeks old....I would think that staying up 2.5 hours is probably normal, although I don't remember with my son at that age. I'm thinking he did the same thing as well.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

prairie_dawn HB User

i agree, babies will sleep as much as their bodies need. She will lessen up when her body is ready. also, she will stop sleeping through the night when she is teething, not feeling well or learning a new "something" weather it be walking babbling or crawling. They tend to wake at night and start fooling around. Just dont encourage it and ignor it. Make sure she is ok and not too wet and let her be. Maybe give her her paicifier. My dd11 months is in my room still(we have no room) and she is great and always has been. she gets up at night and just hangs out for about a half hour maybe an hour. one night she was up 2 hours just babbling. I just let it happen and slept through it hearing her in my sleep when she squeeled real loud. LOL But I didnt talk to her, one night she was up and I put the tv on. She watched it for 10minutes and fell back to sleep.

good luck

Old 06-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Last night she slept from 9pm-6am and then went back to sleep at 7am until 10am. She was only awake until 11:40 and then she slept until about 2:00pm. She will probably stay up until 4ish and then go to sleep again until 6:00. Im thinking she may be in a growth spurt b/c she is starting to down her bottles and want more than 4oz. I just hope there isn't anything wrong with her. I took her temperature last night and it was normal. I just hope she is okay and Im not missing anything.

Koukla

p.s. can u tell she is my first!

Old 06-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

Sounds normal to me. My son was the same way. He slept a lot, as well as my second daughter (not my first). My second daughter would sleep 12+ consecutive hours at night when she was three months old. She was exclusively breastfed too. She would wake after sleeping all night and go back down for a nap just 45 minutes later. It was amazing that she slept like that. But at two she must have decided that she got all the sleep she needed as a infant because the naps were done. She now almost five and is as normal as can be.

I think your daughter is fine. I remember my pediatrican told me that some babies just need a lot of sleep to grow. Your baby is probably one of those. Enjoy it!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

thank you, that definately makes me feel better!

Koukla

Old 06-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mjbrandon HB User

Hey Koukla!

How is Elliana? Sure sounds like she enjoys her naps! Has she started to go down without rocking? Aubrey Ann is a good sleeper, once she is asleep. She is 7 weeks old, and wakes after about 5 hours at night. I just can't seem to get her to stretch it out. Any advice? Do you wake your little one from her naps, or do you let her wake on her own? Does she seem to get overstimulated after a couple of hours awake? Aubrey Ann seems to have difficulty going back to sleep if she is awake longer than an hour and a half or so.

Did Elliana's nighttime sleep get better after 7 weeks?

Hope everything is going good for you! I miss talking to all the April Mommies!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi Mj,

How are you? I miss talking to all the April Mommies too! I wanted to start a thread here that said April Mommies but I figured it might get deleted by the moderators.

Elliana is definately a good sleeper. She doesn't need rocked to sleep anymore. We were having a heck of a time getting her to sleep at night. We would rock her to sleep, put her down and then she would wake up and scream!!! We tried everything, the bouncy, car rides, our bed, swing etc, bassinet and nothing worked. At 6 weeks my pediatrician told us to put her down where we wanted her to sleep at night and have her cry herself to sleep. She told me to start off with 5 minutes of her crying, then go in and check on her making sure she isn't wet/pooped, hungry etc. then put her back down and start over. So we put her in the crib b/c she hated her bassinet. She cried the first night for 45 SECONDS and then fell right to sleep. The most she ever cried was for about 4 minutes! It is great, I put her down and she is OUT! She definately soothes herself to sleep. Now I put her in her crib for all her naps and for bed. (unless Im out with her then she sleeps in her stroller/carseat etc.)

The first time she sleep a good 8 hours was at exactly 9 weeks. I started doing a routine and I think it helped. Starting at 8pm I give her a bath, feed her a bottle, read her stories and then put her in bed by 9pm. By the end of all of that...she is BEAT!

The nap question. My doctor told me not to wake her up from her naps or at all. She said the only time to wake her up is if she is sleeping through her second feeding during the day. She has never done that! She'll sleep about 2-3 hours, eat, stay awake for 1.5-2.5 hrs eat a little more and then take another nap. She definately seems to get overstimulated after awhile. I think i am pushing her too much. I want her to be smart so I have her watch baby einstein, put her in her bouncy with lights and music, swing, and her play gym mat. She loves them all but I think I need to slow it down a bit...she definately get tired after all of that! ha!!!

ok, my post is long. How is aubrey ann doing? How have you been feeling? I hope you are doing better! Keep me updated. i miss you girls!

Koukla

Old 06-22-2007, 06:42 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by koukla3 View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Last night she slept from 9pm-6am and then went back to sleep at 7am until 10am. She was only awake until 11:40 and then she slept until about 2:00pm. She will probably stay up until 4ish and then go to sleep again until 6:00. Im thinking she may be in a growth spurt b/c she is starting to down her bottles and want more than 4oz. I just hope there isn't anything wrong with her. I took her temperature last night and it was normal. I just hope she is okay and Im not missing anything.

Koukla

p.s. can u tell she is my first!

Oh, you REALLY have me jealous now!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

mjbrandon HB User

Koukla,

I am almost hesitant to write this (because I am afraid I might jinx myself!) but Aubrey Ann slept through the night last night. She slept from 9:30 to 6:00 am. I can't figure out what we did different. The only thing that I can think of is we bought "The Miracle Blanket" and it seems to have helped! I just hope it is not a fluke!

Aubrey Ann and I are doing better. She is such a cutie, and she can be such a stinker too! I guess she is like her mama in that respect!

I wake Aubrey Ann from her naps. She generally eats every three hours, so I wake her if she hasn't eaten by then. I have been tempted just to let her sleep (because sometimes it is so difficult to get her to go down!) but I am afraid it will mess up her night time sleep. She takes 4-5 naps per day, usually between 1 and two hours.

What is Elliana up to? Is she batting at things yet? How is her babbling and smiling coming? Aubrey Ann has just started to make coo sounds, and she smiles all the time now! She tries to copy my mouth when I say "Ahhh goo". It is so cute. She is starting to bald. It is so sad, she is losing her dark brown hair!

It is so nice because it is actually starting to get fun! I can't wait until our little ones are babbling and laughing!

Are you back to work yet? I hope you don't have to go back any time soon. How did you heal from the c-sec?

It is really good to talk to you! Feels like old, much bigger bellied times!

Closed Thread