It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

meluca HB User
Lightbulb Dr. Browns Bottles

hello all, i'm an august mom and would like to know your opinion on Dr. Browns Bottles: do you prefer wide neck or standard ??

any advise would be great.

thanks,
m
31.4 weeks...

Old 06-28-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User
Re: Dr. Browns Bottles

LOVE THEM!!!!! We ended up geting them with baby #2. I had to stop breastfeeding at 6wks and he seemed a bit colicky. My sister-in-law discovered them and loved them also so we tried and saw a difference after his feedings. Now using them with #3!
The down side is that they are a bit more money so you may just want to buy a few and see if you like them.
They do have an inner valve and stem which can fall on the heating element in the dishwasher if you are not careful, but Babies R Us sells the individual pieces so you are not out on the whole bottle.
I believe we have the standard. Both 4oz. and 8oz. I would recommend not getting the 4oz. We didn't use them very long with our little piggies
Congrats and good luck with the baby!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi there! Congrats on being an August Mommy...you are almost there! I absolutely love the Dr. Brown's bottles. My little girl is 11 weeks and that is the only bottle we will use on her. She has never spit up and she isn't gassy at all! I definately attribute this to those bottles. There are a pain to clean but they are definately worth it. I agree with the previous poster that the 4 oz don't last that long. She is now starting to grow out of them. I would maybe only get one or 2 of them. They sell a nice little starter kit for around $20 that you could try to see if you like them. I haven't tried the wide neck bottles just the standard.

Good luck!

Koukla

Old 06-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

Hi there and congratulations - you're almost there! My daughter is 3 months old and I bought lots of both the 4oz and the 8oz bottles. People told me you don't use the 4oz very long and to just buy the 8oz bottles because you only have to fill them half way in the beginning and you'll get more use out of them. They were right and I shouldn't have spent all the money on the smaller ones...plus I find the larger ones more comfortable to hold while feeding.

Best of luck!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

JuniorsMommy929 HB User

i like the dr browns bottles but they are a pain andmore time consuming to clean, and time is something that I have none of! I have a 3 month old and 21 month old

Old 06-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

meluca HB User

thank you for the responses and well wishes.
i am getting the mw sterilizer, starter kit and 3 pk of 8 oz. wide neck bottles. they look more comfy for dh to hold on to.

thanks again moms !!!
xo,
m

Old 06-29-2007, 07:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

what is the mw sterilizer?

Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

meluca HB User

it's a microwave kit that you put the dr. brown bottles in to sterilize them. it's at target and babies r us. sounds really convenient. i think it takes up to 4 bottles at a time. it's around $30. i registered for it. hope i get it !!

Old 07-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I wouldn't bother with the sterilizer. You only do that one time, when you first buy them -- just boil them for 3 minutes.

I bought the 4 oz. bottles initially (I think I had 6 of them -- 2 three packs) and used those until she was about 4 months old. I found that making the formula in a Rubbermaid container (easy to shake it up) and then pouring it into the bottles was much easier. I would make up a day's worth at a time. Much nicer in the middle of the night!! If I didn't do that and I needed 4 oz. and was using the smaller bottles, it would end up above the line and the bottles would leak. But that was user error, not the bottle's fault.

I bought the 8 oz. bottles on a major online auction website and just sterilized them like I did when I bought new smaller ones. They were much cheaper and still like new. I didn't reuse the nipples that came with them though!

All of mine are standard neck. They fit in the bottle holder in the diaper bag real easy... and when my DD was using the Graco Snugride car seat I would never leave the house without tucking one in beside her (next to her legs). When we went into a store I would just bring the carseat (with bottle) and grab a burp cloth and we were good to go!

Cleaning is not a big deal -- I just hand wash mine whenever there are five or more dirty bottles. Since we only run the dishwasher every 2-3 days, there is no way I could do that with the bottles. We just rinse the bottles out and leave them in the sink. The special bottle cleaner (looks like a pipe cleaner) is used to clean the valve and the tube insert needs to be replaced every few months or so because the bristles wear out. They are available in four packs wherever you buy the bottles. The only challenge we had cleaning them was forgetting to get ALL the little parts of the valve and then finding a build up of crud one day when I saw it in really good light (yikes!). Once you get a system of cleaning down, you'll be find. For me, I wash the bottles first then the collars and lids, and then the nipples (so I can put down the bottle brush). Then I clean the tubes and finally the valve inserts. It takes about 5 minutes total to clean the bottles. No big deal.

I hope you enjoy them -- I think they really do make a difference! We tried the Medela bottles (just standard bottles) once or twice (they came with the breast pump) and I could visibly see air bubbles coming up through the liquid and baby was having to work much harder to get the milk.

Oh, and one more thing -- baby will be taking in such small amounts at first (1-2 oz.) that it will seem to get lost in the big bottle (8 oz.). The 4 oz. bottles seemed to be right when it was that small amount. I dunno -- it just felt right.

Best wishes!

Last edited by xinerevelle; 07-01-2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Clarified where I bought the bottles.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

suesy HB User

I may be in the minority here, but they didn't work for my dd, who was having major gassy issues in her first month. The playtex drop-ins worked just as well and were much easier to clean. You may have to try a bunch of different bottles and nipples in the beginning to see what works best for your baby.

good luck!

Old 07-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i agree with the two above posters! i LOVED the playtex nursers (we used generic dropins) and you really don't need a sterilizer! congrats!

Closed Thread