It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

shawnaslover HB User
When to start baby food

I have a 3 month old son. He has reflux and spits up alot. Sometimes it covers me and him both. He is on a special formula called elecare that was prescribed by a doctor. My question is since reflux medication and special formula is not working to help him would it hurt to feed him very small amounts of baby food? Maybe the thickness will help him. We are already putting rice cereal in every bottle. If the bottles are not thick enough then up it comes. So his formula is about as thick as baby food. What do you think? Would it hurt or maybe help? Please help!
Shawna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User
Re: When to start baby food

My dd also has a bad reflux problem and is on medication. Some days are better than others, but at 6 months she still spits up and covers herself and sometimes me too. I carry burp clothes on me whenever I hold her. They have to be near at all time... anyway... all that to say... the doctor told me to keep rice ceral out the bottle, especially since I am bf. But hey, if it's working for you and the dr. said it's ok, I'm not going to say anything.
As for baby food, I'd hold off because of allergies.
My dd has recently started baby food and honestly, it hasn't made a difference with the reflux at all.
At her last appt. (last week) the dr. said to continue the medicine so she's not in pain when the acid comes back up, but to expect the spit up to continue until she's about a year old.
I think it's something you'll have to live with for a little while. I don't recommend starting baby food that early. I doubt it will help with the reflux.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

My son doesn't have reflux so I really don't know much about it, but I started him on oatmeal baby cereal at 3 months 'cause he had problems going to the bathroom. He had great head control and was ready at that age. If you think it will help him just give it a try. I know some people say that if you give baby food too soon they could get allergies, but from what I've read it's more common if one of the parents has food allergies.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

I don't think food will help. All three of my kids were spitters. There's that flap that holds the food down and it needs to mature. My first one had reflux and was on the medication, but I personally don't think it made a difference in her spitting, it was just supposed to neutralize the acid so it didn't burn when it came up. She still spit a ton! All three basically stopped at around the crawling stage.

I also heard to not put cereal in a bottle because they get way too many calories that way. I think I heard something about a choking hazard, as well. But like the other poster said, if your dr. okay'd it....

I do remember my daughter was on a med that was supposed to empty the stomach faster. It had some adverse effect on her and she was wired from it! So we took her off it. The spitting is annoying....believe me I know all too well. But if you think about it, it's not all that much that is coming up. It just appears that way. My husband once took a tablespoon of water and poured it on his shirt and it went all over. We then realized that she wasn't losing near as much as we had thought. Hang in there....you will be able to go a whole day without changing your shirt several times soon.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

Another thing....since your baby is probably going to spit up anyway. If you feed her food, now you'll have orange, green, etc spit-up!

Closed Thread