It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Bleeding belly button in 2-week-old

DS is 2 weeks old. His umbilical cord stump fell off on Monday (the doc cauterized the stump last week because it was bleeding a little bit but said it was no big deal). When I change his diaper, there is still dried blood around his belly button. I don't mess with it too much but clean the area around it with a wet washcloth to get the blood off. It doesn't appear to be infected anywhere and I can't see where it's bleeding from, there's just a little bit of "new" dried blood whenever I cange him. Is this normal?

Old 07-19-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User
Re: Bleeding belly button in 2-week-old

Yes, I believe so. I remember taking my son into the doctor because his still looked bloody after the stump fell off. I called the nurse and told her about it and she said he should be seen. So I took him all the way into the doctor only to have the doctor say, "that's normal, just keep cleaning it".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thanks! Ironically, the pediatrician called me this morning after my post to follow up on DS's bad diaper rash (it finally cleared up after the last prescription ointment), so I asked him as well. He said it's normal and that I should watch for oozing or signs of infection, which I haven't seen or I would have taken him in. He also said to check it again tomorrow morning and if it's still bleeding, I can bring him in and they'll cauterize (sp?) it to make it heal faster. I don't remember my girls' bleeding afterwards.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

kellie84 HB User

Yep my DS's bleed a little after his fell off. I just cleaned the dried blood off with a wet Q-tip at evry diaper change. It only bleed for maybe 4 days after it fell off.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

prairie_dawn HB User

my last two had to be cauterized as well.

Also just to let you know with diaper rash. It is a good thing to use the vasaline on them even when they dont have a rash. It helps prevent it as well.

Be careful, my dd had it that early and wound up having eczema and still does. My others didnt have diaper rashes till they started teething so it was odd that she did. Just a thought to think of, make sure you only use dove on baby and not baby shampoo or soaps, dont use any Dreft or Ivory Snow on clothes at all. Use only Free stuff like ALL free or TIDE free. It is free if dyes and perfumes. Tide is also free and sensitive i think its called. I found out the hard way that those products are all harsh to get out the gross stuff in the clothing but is still harsh to their skin.

good luck dear

Closed Thread