It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User
2 month old vaccines

Could someone who has had their child vaccinated at their two month check up clue me in on what will take place & how to prepare for it.
Thanks!

Old 07-25-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: 2 month old vaccines

Well my sons were horrible. He proved allergic to the same vaccine as me. DPaT. He had severely high fevers and seizures as a result of the vaccines. I recommend a rotational vaccination schedule. Instead of for shots all at once that will cause fevers, irritability and you child to possibly get sick. Go in for the check up. Get one vaccine and request to come back in week installments for the others. One vaccine a week helps. My son like me can not have DPaT, or DT.. only T - tetinus shots. Guess we will need to avoid the whole diptheria and whooping cough diseases.

Make sure to give your child motrin and tylenol in alternating schedule to help with pain and fever and you will come through like a trooper.

Respectfully,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

klr2k HB User

Hi you!

We go for Masons on 8/9 and were told he only gets 1 shot this time (doc calls it a love dart, lol) anyways I believe he said Hep was the shot this time.

Good luck!
The Mase ~ 6/8/07

All boys!

Old 07-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

My son did fine. It was harder on me than it probably was on him. I remember he took a long nap afterwards and was cranky that night, but the next day he was back to himself. I recall giving him Tylenol that evening.

Having a reaction IS rare and does not happen for everyone. I don't want you to be scared. I am sure things will be fine. Best of luck.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
(female)

mlieteau HB User

My twin boys each had four total - two in each thigh. They had a mild fever that evening, were cranky and a slept more than usual - but the next day they were fine. It is a bit scary, but I think much more often than not, it works out just fine.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

My boy also had 4 shots at his 2 month visit. It really wasn't too bad. I made the mistake of looking at his face when he got them. I felt terrible!! He cried for a minute or two then was fine. He didn't have any reactions and didn't seem to be in pain or anything. I gave him tylenol an hour BEFORE his visit, but he didn't need any afterwards.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User

Thanks so much for your replies! Klrk I miss you & the others. We go in on August 10th. Will be much more prepared mentally now thanks to you guys.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

klr2k HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrniidgrl View Post
Thanks so much for your replies! Klrk I miss you & the others. We go in on August 10th. Will be much more prepared mentally now thanks to you guys.
I miss you too!! I check here all the time to see if any of the other June mommas have posted...Im trying to keep up with ya'll!!

Keep up in here as much as you can hon.

Kat

PS - Good luck with the shots...I hate having to be there with them. Mine all cried hysterically when they got poked....altho, it didnt last once momma had them in her arms.
The Mase ~ 6/8/07

All boys!

Last edited by klr2k; 07-27-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #9
(female)

daisychain_0506 HB User

Abrniidgrl - good luck with the shots. Let me know how it goes so I'll know what to expect too. I'm sure it's harder on us than them. My friend said her baby slept a lot after and then was a bit fussy in the evening, but no big deal.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

As for what the actual procedure was... this is what happens at my doc's office (family physician, not a ped):

We do weight on a scale outside the room, then go into the room for a length measurement. I then take of her onesie (don't put anything fancy or difficult to remove on either baby (or yourself) since you could get something on it) and diaper and the nurse does the rectal temp. She asks if I have any specific questions for the doctor and writes them down. When the doc comes in he does a physical exam, checking for neuromuscular disorders and internal abdominal organs and hernias. Don't freak out about these checks -- they don't hurt baby. He does a quick check of the genital area and then answers my questions. He plots her height and weight on the CDC charts and goes over relevant feeding, developmental, etc. issues for the next few months. He leaves and the nurses come in to do the shots.

I had hoped to be able to hold her in my lap while they did them, but I was told no. I had given her Tylenol in the waiting room to help with pain. One nurse helped steady her (as did I) while the other did the actual injection. 2 in each leg, IIRC. Baby screamed like I was poking her with hot branding irons for about 15 seconds, but quickly calmed down. Bandaids were applied over the injection sites and I noticed a very tiny amount of blood on them when I took them off later that night.

After the 2 months shots she slept more than normal for a couple of days. After the 4 months shots she did the same, but also ran a little fever and was irritable. No problems after the 6 months shots.

Closed Thread