It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User
TERRIBLE diaper rash!! HELP!!!

Okay a week ago (today), my son woke up with a MAJOR diaper rash. I have tried the following....different diapers, wipes, no wipes (washclothes), desitin, triple antibiotic, hydrocortisone cream, soaking baths, bare bottom, doctor prescribed: bactroban and Nystatin cream. I am now currently trying triple paste and baby cornstarch powder. I am at my wits end, it is so bad that it has bled (not severly, but his poor little bum is so raw!). I am praying that this new stuff will work (the triple paste has a "guarantee"). I have another doc appt on Wednesday. BUT everytime I change him he cries and it hurts him. I am as gentle as I can be...change him often. I am just lost. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated! He is on a new Formula, Nutrimegin (a hypoallergenic formula for milk allergy). BUT that seems weird that that would irritate him when it is such a gentle formula. Thanks for any input! I just want his bum normal again!

Old 08-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User
Re: TERRIBLE diaper rash!! HELP!!!

I fed my son yogurt a little too early and he had a horrible diaper rash. I, too, used the triple paste stuff and it worked like the next day. I think too it would be wierd for a super-hypoallergenic formula to do that, but you never know. Does he have diarreha? A virus?

I would keep him bare as long as you can and use the triple paste. Make sure you dry him completely first before putting it on. I didn't use any powder though.

Good luck. Ahhh, I know, poor baby. You know it just has to hurt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

I tried the triple paste and had no luck. My son also had the bleeding diaper rash. We had been at the beach and he was so distracted with playing in the sand that he never told me that he had pooped in his swim diaper. When I took it off of him when we got back to the house, his rash was severe. It bled for days and the triple paste did nothing for him. The only thing that works on his rashes is Desitin OVERNIGHT. NOT the regular stuff, but the overnight formula. I find that when my kids teeth, (Even molars), they get rashes.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
(female)

vsmom HB User

I just found the BEST cure! Put him in a tub with 1/2 cup of baking soda. Worked like a charm for us!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
(female)

Elliesmom HB User

I can tell you what worked for me...

First - I started using the sink sprayer to clean her off instead of wipes (until she healed). It obviously was painful when I wiped her and I just couldn't do it to her any more. If I had to wipe an open area I sprayed it with my Dermoplast spray first (I got it in the hospital for my episiotomy to numb it). After I patted her dry I sprayed on Bactine and let it dry. Then I alternated each diaper change between hydrocortisone cream or an antifungal ointment. I covered that with diaper rash oinment.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
(female)

Cookiem26 HB User

I always use Viva paper towels and warm water when my DD has a rash and no wiping, just patting her clean as much as possible. No wipes at all while the rash is present. I got this advise from a nurse in one of my prenatal classes. Also for several months now at the advice of a friend, we use Aquaphor after every diaper change and she hasn't had a rash since. My friend swears by it and now so do I. Frequent diaper changes and letting baby go bare as much as possible is going to help too. I hope you find something that works for you soon. Good luck.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

So far the Triple Paste has not worked. I am going to try letting him go bare buns tomorrow for the majority of the day. I really think that will help. I am also going to try the baking soda! The Viva paper towels is a good idea too, as I cannot keep up with washing the baby washclothes! I think part of the problem is that I am not sticking with one thing before trying another. Always Desitin would work with my DD, so I am not sure why these aren't working. I have another appt with the doc Wednesday so if it is still persistant, maybe there will be some other kind of treatment, even oral. I really don't think it is viral, b/c he is fine otherwise. I feel that it is the formula, and that scares me, b/c that means we will probably have to switch to the next step up, which is 50 dollars per can! I pray that if that happens WIC or his insurance will pay for it! Thanks for all the advice...I am praying his little bum heals soon.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #8
(female)

shannonkristin HB User

bordeaux butt paste and gold bond medicated baby powder. they both have the highest concentration on zinc oxide that i have found, and that is what heals the rash. what we did for my little man was lathered him all up with the the bordeaux then sprinkled the powder (alot) especially before bedtime and it was gone the next morning. also the bordeaux wiped away very clean and easily not sticky like balmex or anything.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

poor baby! diaper rashes are just awful! is formula the only new thing you've used with him lately? i know with my daughters, switching diapers irritated them, using generic wipes irritated them, and yes, the "gentle" formula did terrible things to my little one!

the only way to get a diaper rash that advanced to heal is to get it to dry out. have you tried running a hair dryer over his bottom with each diaper change? we used to have to do this with my younger daughter and it worked wonders! just be careful to keep the hair dryer set on warm or cool and not hot!!! i always keep one hand down near baby's bottom area where the dryer is blowing so i can feel how hot it is blowing. anyway, we ended up buying a hair dryer specifically to keep on the changing table because we used it so often on my baby girl!

as far as the triple paste not working.... are you certain this isn't a yeast rash? the only rash triple paste didn't work on for us was a yeast rash. we ended up applying a layer of antifungal creme and then a layer of triple paste on top of it with each diaper change.... after the hair dryer...

definitely dump baking soda in his bath water, and definitely don't use wipes unless you rinse them out first (the paper towels are a great idea!).

good luck!

Last edited by mcr285; 08-26-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

My 18 mo has only had two bouts of diaper rash (severe) and for both we put him in the kitchen sink in warm water and just let him splash like a maniac. If he pooped in the water, we would just let it run out and get a clean sink of fresh water. I would let him prune for 2 or 3 hours if I could, then gently pat him dry and apply copious amounts of Nystatin OINTMENT, not the thin cream, the thick stuff like Vaseline. I usually had great results within 24-36 hours.

Amy

Old 08-27-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

I have bought the Viva towels, and have given him baths with baking soda. I also have been letting his butt dry entirely before putting ANY creams on. It is looking somewhat better, but when I go to the docs on Wed, I am going to ask for something better. I think it may be yeast infection (the doc said she wasn't 100% sure), or the formula. I don't know what to do if it is the formula!! Like I said he is on the Nutramagin formula and it costs 25 dollars per can....then next step is 50 dollars. So, I am praying that we can do this without switching! Thanks again for all the advice. I am doing everything possible, and I just feel so bad for him!

Closed Thread