It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User
Cleaning Toys

I'm just curious how some of you clean your baby toys. My daughter's favorite toys are material crinkle toys that play music, so I can't put them in the washing machine or the dishwasher. The problem is, any other child we come across seems to like to grab her toys and since my daughter is teethign and puts them in her mouth, I need to keep them clean. Any tips would be wonderful.

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User
Re: Cleaning Toys

I know this is terrible, but I don't let my nephews play with my boys toys. They are 2 and 4 so they don't need to be playing with infant toys anyway. I just tell them that they are big boys and play with big toys not baby toys. It works for the 4 year old, but I have a tough time keeping the 2 year olds grubby hands off. LOL! I take a wet washcloth with dishsoap on it to clean my boys cloth toys that can't go in the washing machine. I hate those kind of toys but he loves them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

I don't know how effective this actually is on cloth fabrics, but with my DD's toys like that I sprayed them with Clorox Anywhere Spray. It sanitizes but doesn't leave any stains. Or good ol' soap and water should do the trick

and I know what you mean about sharing toys. I cringe whenever my daughter heads to the toys in the waiting room at the Dr.'s office. I try to bring a book from home for her or stuff a few small toys in the bag for her to play with!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

if i was ever going to be somewhere with other babies/kids around, i would only bring plastic washable toys. i always left my girls' toys that were unwashable at home because i didn't want to have to deal with this very thing! if i ran into someone while i was out shopping and they had a baby/kid who tried to grab my girls' toys, i'd quickly take it back while saying, "oh sweetie you don't want to play with this toy, my baby is sick and you don't want her yucky germs..." then i'd put the toy back in the diaperbag where the kid couldn't get to it! and the moms never seemed offended, in fact a lot of times they acted grateful that i didn't want their kid to get my kid's germs!

Last edited by mcr285; 09-01-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

I know how you feel! I absolutely freak at the thought of all those germs on the toys. I realize that there are germs everywhere and our kids can't live in bubbles...but I try to avoid those kind of bad germs as much as I can. I don't even let my DD play with the toys in the waiting room at the Dr.'s office. If I am there for a well-child visit, I do not want to come back a week later for a sick-child visit!

Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

It makes me nuts - and it's not even always children. Today I was in the store and I have those toys that hang from the handle of the car seat - while putting the groceries on the counter, I noticed the woman behind me in line grabbing the toys and rattling them in my daughters face. I appreciate her being friendly, but why touch a baby's toys?!?! Ugh!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke85 View Post
I know how you feel! I absolutely freak at the thought of all those germs on the toys. I realize that there are germs everywhere and our kids can't live in bubbles...but I try to avoid those kind of bad germs as much as I can. I don't even let my DD play with the toys in the waiting room at the Dr.'s office. If I am there for a well-child visit, I do not want to come back a week later for a sick-child visit!
i swear, those doctors put toys in their waiting rooms on purpose just so our kids WILL get sick and have to come back!

Closed Thread