It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User
Very bored 7 and a half month old!!

My son is about 7 and a half months and getting VERY bored. He has absolutely no interest in crawling. He started walking a few weeks ago but can only take a few steps (4 is the most) before he tips over and he can't stand himself back up yet. He has an exersaucer that he is getting quite bored with. We sit him on a blanket in our livingroom with his toys and he'll sit and play for about 20-30 mins before he gets bored. We play a lot but I have stuff to do. He has a "toy table" that he loves to stand and play with but I have to sit there and hold him or he just lets himself fall over. I don't know what to do. We buy him new toys but he doesn't really play with them. He wants to be moving. Does anyone have any tips?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User
Re: Very bored 7 and a half month old!!

Get him one of those push walkers. If he's taking steps then he can use that for support to toodle around. He may not go very far at first, but they get it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

you also might try a regular walker (that he sits in), or a jumper that hangs in the doorframe. my daughter loved both of those things and would alternate between the two of them and be perfectly happy for most of the day!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

JellyB_3 HB User

Have you tried spending more time outside? Going to the Park? or the Zoo?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

Thanks for your advice ladies. We actually have a "push walker" but it goes too fast for him. He tries to walk with it but the wheels are so loose that he falls. And we can't figure out a way to tighten them.

We'll have to look into the jumper thing. And sadly, I never thought to get him outside 'cause we live in an apartment and there's really no where to play. My parents live in the country so I'll have to take him out there. Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mjbrandon HB User

Hey, just a suggestion or two...

Have you tried setting him in his high chair and giving him some water to play with? My DD absolutely LOVED this when we did it. Let him put toys in the water and splash around. We basically just filled up her tray with water.

I haven't done this yet, but I know that my mom made a cupboard in the kitchen that was "my" cupboard. Every couple of days she would switch what was in the cupboard so I would get all excited when I opened it and saw what was inside. Obviously, she only put safe things inside of the cupboard. She said I loved tupperware, or even a mixture of things like hand towels, and one of my stuffed animals, or maybe a big plastic mixing spoon. She said that kept me pretty busy.

Another thing we use to do was my mom would take one of my stuffed animals (one that I really liked, but wasn't my favorite) and she would hide it somewhere in the house. Then we would go on a scavenger hunt to try to find it. He may be a bit young for this yet...

I don't know if those would work for you, but they are a few suggestions.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

Those are really good ideas! He loves splashing in the tub so I think he would really like water in his highchair tray. That'll be messy, but it's just water!

I actually got a pan, wooden spoon, and some measuring cups out tonight and he sat and played with those for quite awhile so I'll have to do the cupboard thing.

We'll have to try the hide and seek and see if he actually gets it.

Thanks!!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i kind of did the cupboard thing with my two girls too - without the switching up part. they are allowed to play in the tupperware cabinet and i also gave them a cabinet in the entertainment center to keep their books and quiet toys in too. i went through the kitchen and said "this cabinet is okay," opening the tupperware cabinet, "but these cabinets are NO NO" pointing to all the other cabinets. i did this with the entertainment center cabinets too. we went through that several times and they really seemed to get it (i did it with each of them at around 8-9 months) and left the other cabinets alone. you do have to watch for slamming doors and smashing fingers though! but it usually only happens once.....

Last edited by mcr285; 09-14-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User

I made cabinets and drawers that are just for DS and DD to play in. The bottem shelf of our closet is just plastic containers. The closet with pans also has non breakable pantry items in it that I let them play with. And a drawer with wooden spoons, old cell phones and other "safe" odds and ends. They love this. Right now DD is going through the same stage. She is ready to be mobile and just can't do it and is bored with not be able to go.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

There are times that I have to do some computer work during the day, so I just put DD (10 months) on the floor with special "toys" that are just for the office time. She's excited to see those because they are different than her other ones in the play area. Sometimes I close the door and keep her in, but sometimes I'll open the door and let her think she's getting away with something as she crawls down the hall... ha. I then chase after her and bring her back to play some more.

You might also put some of his toys away for a week so that they are new when they come out of hiding again.

Also, I bought a backpack carrier (with a frame) and use that to do some housework during the day. I make sure to walk by a mirror frequently so that I can have eye contact with my DD on a regular basis.

And of course, I'm constantly talking with her, even when I'm in the kitchen washing bottles and she's playing on the living room floor (20 feet away) by herself. Just the reassurance of my voice and an occasional smile keep her happy for a few more minutes. And she stay even longer if I punctuate the playing spells with a few minutes of 1-on-1 play time with mommy (tickling, giggling, etc.). Then I can go back to my work and she's happy to play for a while more. I find that about 12-15 minutes is all I can get away with before I have to change up something (the room, the toys, the playmate, etc.)

Closed Thread